Turntable

Inherited all the following Aiwa subwoofer w/ 3 speakers, Aiwa receiver, JVC Dolby cassette deck, and a Pioneer turntable. Already have an Aiwa stereo karoke sytem. How do I hook all this together? I'm having trouble with the turntable appears to have power and turning but no sound? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Paula Bain

John Allen
Paula,

Everything depends on the cartridge. A cartridge at the end of a tone-arm on any turntable has no power of its own. It just makes a small signal because of the moving magnetic field cause by the stylus following the grooves in the LP. That signal is picked up and amplified by the amplifier or receiver. The power to the turntable just makes it go round.

The output signal from the cartridge is much smaller than the output signals from CD players, DVD players, and radio radio tuners. So the amplifier needs to have a "phono" input which has a higher gain than other channels. If it does not have that (I don't know about your Aiwa) then you need a separate pre-amplier with a phono input, or else a special "phono pre-amplifier". A phone pre-amplifier is not expensive.

Pioneer turtables have a very good reputation. It could be the best part of that system.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a compact SHARP microcomponent system with RCA plugs in the back for AUX/video hookup. My pioneer turntable has very little volume when plugged into it. It worked fine when plugged into my old separate audio components....

Any thoughts?!?!?

Thanks SO much for ANY help you can offer.....!
Randi

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1555
Randi,

Why does revciever need phono input?.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us