Problems with Sony STR-DE185

Username: Basenjidad

Post Number: 1
Suddenly, my receiver is only playing mono or one channel in both speakers. There is no stereo or mono button, so I don't know what to do to fix it. It's doing this both when CD and MD/Tape are selected. Any ideas? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 460
Greetings Michael,

Good question, there really aren't too many things that could make this happen. Can I ask how you know it is a monocular signal (from both speakers)?

The next question is what happens when you use the FM tuner with a strong radio signal?

Post Number: 2
Jim,

Thanks for responding. Truthfully, I don't know for sure that its a monocular signal. The sound is just flat and muffled and seems to be exactly the same when played out of either speaker. At the moment, I don't have an antenna to get a good FM signal (I usually stream my radio), but if you think its worth it, I will get one and get back to you.

One other thing that might be worth noting, I have been streaming television and playing I-tunes through the receiver. Could that have damaged something perhaps?

Michael

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
It is not likely that you have damaged anything but using something like the tests at this site:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

could be helpful.

Post Number: 3
Jim,

This is interesting. After testing, I found that the speaker polarity test sounded louder and better when I played Out of Phase. After switching one of the speakers connections, it still sounded better in Out of Phase. Any ideas what is going on?

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
The simple explanation is when it sounds as you expect that it is not out of phase (and could conceivably have caused the problem). In other words you may have the speaker wire inadvertantly inverted (so to speak).
What speakers are you using?

Post Number: 4
I am using Design Acoustics PS8 speakers. I have tried switching the wires in many different variations, and no matter what I do the stereo always sounds better when playing the Out of Phase test.

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
What kind of wire are you using? Is it easy to differentiate between the positive side and the negative side? If so try to purposely wire the speakers out of phase (black to red) and re run the test.

Post Number: 5
Yes it is easy to tell the red wire from the black wire. They were hooked up correctly in the first placeYred to red, black to black. However, I switched each one and then both and then back again and everytime the Out of Phase test sounds better. Very strange.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11014
Lots of systems reverse phase and sometimes back again!

This model may simply reverse.

Or it just sounds better one way than the other.

You can test the drivers of the speakers for polarity with a 1.5v battery, connect + to+, - to -, battery and speaker, and the driver should 'nudge' outwards. See if they are the same.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1629
"Lots of systems reverse phase and sometimes back again! "

How does that happen Nuck?

Post Number: 6
I've tried hooking up the speakers in every phase imaginable and still, no matter what the configuration, the Out of Phase test sounds better, and when playing a CD or an Ipod through the receiver it sounds muffled and dull. Can anyone explain this? Perhaps there is a problem with the stereo system itself?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11027
I doubt that an 'out of phase' sampler has the same effect as physically inverting the phase, MS. The recording could involve anything at all, whereas the 180 swap is pretty straightforward.

DM, a componant could swap between 0 and 180 several times along the signal path, as the designer wishes, and as internal componants dictate. A certain device may be on the shelf as a proven NPN, or inverted. Typical of more budget designs than full-on stuff.

At least that is how it was explained to me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us