Can a Rega MIra3 be used for satellite tv?

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 19
Right now I have a HK AVR 445 that I use for music and satellite tv and I also have an xbox hooked up to it. My question is how can replace the HK with the Mira3 or does it have to be integrated with the HK? The rest of my components are Apollo cdp, Totem Sttaf speakers. I would love to upgrade to the Mira3 but only if I can make it all work.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3071
If you use the line outputs (RCAs), you can hook anything up to it. I don't own an XBox, and there are a ton of different satellite boxes out there, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have audio RCA outputs. Look for RCAs that say Audio Out.

Other than a phono input, what the input label is called is meaningless. There's no difference between the CD, tuner, aux, etc inputs. Some may argue that one may sound better due to its circutry being closer to the power supply, but they're all the same in the end in your case.

Never, ever, ever hook anything other than a turntable up to a phono input. It'll ruin it.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3072
Alternatively, if your TV has RCA audio outputs, you could use those instead. Those will send any audio from your TV (if you're watching DVDs, TV, or Video games). You won't have to change inputs on your Mira every time you change sources. Most TV's audio outs are independent of the TV's volume. When you turn the TV's volume down all the way, the volume coming out of your Sttafs shouldn't change.

That may not sound as good as hooking them up individually. It depends on the TV. My TV's audio out sounds worse than anything else, but it doesn't bother me too much. Its not really bad, but I can definitely tell the difference. I use the TV's outs out of convenience, and I only have 3 non-phono inputs on my integrated amp.

Excellent system, BTW.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 20
Thanks Stu. Yes the satellite box has RCA out's so that shouldn't be a problem. The xbox game console has an HD AV cable with two sets of RCA connectors on the end, one for video and one for audio. So I should be able to connect the video RCA's to the TV and the audio RCA's to the Mira3 right?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3075
"So I should be able to connect the video RCA's to the TV and the audio RCA's to the Mira3 right?"

Yes. You just won't get any sound from the TV when playing the XBox. The stereo will have to be on.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 21
That's exactly what I want. I never use the TV for audio. Thank you again. Now I guess I have to sell the HK and buy the Mira3.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10999
Now for an Apollo cdp and R5 speakers...

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 24
Nuck, I have an Apollo cdp and Totem Sttaf speakers. Bought the Sttaf's about two years ago and the Apollo last January. Can't wait to drive it all with the Mira3, should be very nice.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11008
Indeed, Steve.
Sorry for the last post, you are listening just fine, indeed!
The Sttaf's are so very capable, you wonder where all the depth comes from in a light cabinet.
Totem really do own the lightweight cab/performance ratio...but Rega comes close.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 25
Nuck, your right the Sttaf's have a ton of depth and beautiful clarity. I've mass loaded them with about 8lbs of silica sand in each, gives them some added weight and improvements in bass and detail.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 620
I have my tv, cable box and dvd player, and fm tuner connected to my Mira3 integrated amp w/Apollo cdp and it sounds very nice. I would like to get a better dvd player but I don't use the video part so much so it doesn't matter.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 27
Kevin, what speakers are you using?

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 622
Quad 11L, because I was on a budget. I like their sound fine.... but sort of wish I would have waited a little and gone with a fuller, or more bass full speaker. I bought a Velo sub on AudiogoN but got burned for $700, and never did get one.
I have 3 speaker pair here, all about the same quality level. See the profile for the other kit.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 28
Update: Just spoke with the relatively local dealer who can order Rega. I was told they would order it for me but have none to audition. Would of like to have listened to it with my system before I order it.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2027
Just make sure they have a return policy where you can return the product within a certain amount of time, so you can fully audition it at your house. This is the best way to see if you like it anyway.

Mira3/Apollo/Totem. Sounds like a beautiful combo Steve. Sounds like Arts Combo actually.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3279
It's a very effective combo which works well thanks to the Sttafs' easy-going impedance curve.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 33
Nick your right, when I'm ready I'll just buy them and put them through a proper audition.

Frank, thanks I'm sure I will be impressed. I am using Monster reference series speaker cable right now, would the Totem Sinew speaker cable be a better choice? I remember you told me once that Chord Cobra 3 was a good choice as well. Your thoughts.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 44
Just wanted to give you an update, the Mira 3 has been ordered. Only problem is no return policy because it is a special order,as they do not stock Rega gear. I'm not too worried though, because of all I have read here and how happy I am with my Apollo, I'm sure I will love it.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3287
Sinew is a pretty good cable which the Totem/Rega distributor uses to good effect. I prefer Chord interconnects with Naim NACA5 cable. The Cobra3 interconnect is very good value for money and then the next really big jump is the Chorus2 which uses their newer microwave cable technology.

I've never heard Monster (and from what I've heard I've not missed anything).

Art prefers the vdh cables such as CS122 speaker cable and I forget which interconnects. Art?

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 46
Thanks Frank. If things don't work out well with the BJC cables and interconnects I will look at the Chord or VDH cables and IC's. Right now my wife and I are really excited about the Mira 3 we ordered today. Is there a break in period with the Mira 3?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7954
"The Well" is the vdH interconnect that I like. I tried the Chord and wasn't as enamored. I do like them especially the Chorus and the Rumour 4 and above speaker cable. In the end thoughI traded in the Chord for the vdH. Another good match may be the vdH interconnects with Chord Rumour 4. I haven't tried the Naim NACA5 with my Rega/Totem setup.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 47
Thanks Art. I will give my impressions of the BJC IC's and speaker cables when they arrive, should be about the same time as the Mira 3 I hope. Art, did your Mira 3 require a break in period at all?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7955
Yeah it did Steve. It sounded pretty good out of the box however it was a bit grainy and congested, and I mean just a bit. I'm not sure how long it took but it wasn't long before it improved...probably a noticeable difference in 25-30 hrs and all broke in within a 100. As with alot of gear there is improvement for quite awhile.

It sounds better warmed up for a couple of hours...I leave mine on all of the time. Even though it sounds better warm the difference isn't as night and day as say my Creek.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3294
I'd second Art's view. The Mira sounds a little coarse, tight and grainy while running in. Break in takes between 48 and 100 hours. 48 hours in and you're getting there.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 48
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to the Mira 3.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us