Arcam AVR600 any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 135
it is packed with goodies but bit overpriced as well. Looks like it would be around $5K Canadian

http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/AV600-brochure-web.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3253
Aha! They've started talking about it.

Yes, it's not cheap, but then it's going to be quite something. Unfortunately, the product is a bit more expensive than originally hoped - the original target price had been about $3800US. The final price seems to be closer to $4800US.

I have some questions in my mind about the capabilities of the product. However, overall I think it's very well specced. I know that Arcam had the top of the range Denon AV1 and Pioneer models in their sights. Here in the UK, that would make the Arcam between a half and 2/3rds the price of those models. If it comes anywhere near close to their performance, Arcam has an outright winner on their hands.

In the US/Canada, things are very different for a couple of reasons:

1. The prices of the Denon/Pioneer are half of what they are here (!).

2. The requirements for multizone are higher. The Arcam can't do the multichannel zone 2 for example.

Should be interesting...! :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2010
Wierd, the Arcam here is much more expensive than the highest Denon and Pioneer, as you stated Frank. And both of them, to my ears, are crap in the performance department. I would put my lifes savings on the Arcam for blowing the Doors off of the Denon and Pioneer in performance. lol. Arcam do look like they have a real nice winner on their hands indeed.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 597
Honestly though, someone needs their head examined for spending $4800 on a receiver. Good seperates can be had for that.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3265
Eric, I'd like to know what models you're talking about. I haven't heard any processor/poweramp combinations at that price which have impressed much.

Furthermore, in the past nobody would have dreamed of spending that much on an integrated stereo amplifier but this is now fairly commonplace with offerings from all sorts of brands. The market has changed in that people are prepared to spend serious money on integrated solutions.

Nick, I shoiuld clarify what I meant. The Denon AVC1HD is the target and it costs £3800, the Pioneer SC-LX90 Susano is £5000. The Arcam will be £2700 or so. It doesn't have some of the goodies of the Pioneer (particularly the screen which by all accounts isn't anywhere near as good as older models such as the Rotel and ML) but in terms of performance, that's where the Arcam is aiming. Above that, Arcam have to go to two boxes because of heat management issues. Just fitting everything they have into the AVR600 has required a load of housekeeping in order to keep all the temperatures under control.

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
Eric, I'd like to know what models you're talking about. I haven't heard any processor/poweramp combinations at that price which have impressed much.

Didn't I just give you a couple examples of several possible on the other Denon thread????

Silver Member

Post Number: 601
Granted that Arcam has an impressive build for a receiver,but how you could not be impressed with the sonic performance of the Halo A52 over a receiver simply escapes me, especially since it has been lauded by many publications that have reviewed it and received numerous design and electronics manufacturers awards.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3271
I read the Denon thread after this one...

As I said there, yes, it would be interesting to see/hear the comparison. Unfortunately, my experience with a lot of these things is that each solution has its own merits and to close one's mind on the basis of configuration seems incongruous.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us