Seeing opinions on Bryston 4B NRB

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 212
I'm looking at 4B NRB. 18yrs old in mint condition. Possibly serviced in the past but not confirmed. This is the second owner.

When I go to audition, is there anything I should be looking for that would be indicative of a problem - hum, hiss etc. What are the usual problems with these amps when they get old - I know about the L.E.D.s

What about warranty? I know they offer a 20yr transferable but what proof do I need for them to provide warranty service? Do I need original bill of sale or original testing certificate or does Bryston keep their own records and can verify its a legitimate purchase by serial number?

Thanks for your input boyz.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2007
"What about warranty? I know they offer a 20yr transferable but what proof do I need for them to provide warranty service?"

Just the serial number off the back. Call or email it in, and they will reply with your warranty. Original bill of sale is not needed.

Make sure both green LED's on the front are of even color. More of a cosmetic thing though. I have never heard,yet, of a 18 year young Bryston having problems of much.lol

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1607
I'm surprised no one has jumped on this George.

Check out this:
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84836

You may also want to post your question at the Bryston owners circle at Audio Circle. James Tanner (VP Bryston) is quite active there. Some of the guys from here are there too.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84836

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1608
George, you could drag it home behind your car on the 401, plug it in, and it would still work.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 717
That's right!

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
Thanks guys for the input. Thanks Dave for the links - good insight but got me wondering do I hold out for a little new model, say an ST. I think they can be had in the $2 - $2.5 ('000) range. Let me see what I can get this for. If the price is right then maybe I'll do it but it's been there a little while now - so people aren't snapping. Could be the market.

Anyone heard the difference in an A/B test between the 4B and a 4B ST? What's the big difference? Transparency? Clarity, dynamics?

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Actually for the price of an ST, I could get two of these older 4B's and mono them. I think I'm getting carried away here.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 719
The 4B-ST can be had around 1200$ - 1500$ depending on the shape and age.

The 4B-ST is a step up no doubt just as the 4B-SST is a step up from the ST series.

I would go for the ST if I were you, you won't regret it and you will have a longer warrantee.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3067
Actually, I think the 4B NRB and 4B ST are the same thing. IIRC, the 4B NRB was the first to use the ST stuff. After a year or two, they used the same stuff in the rest of the line, and called the line the ST line. ST is a designer's initials.

I'm 90% sure I'm right. Do a search on Audio Circle's Bryston circle (where I read it). If you can't find it, start a thread. I'm sure James Tanner (VP of Bryston) will shed light on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Hey Stu. Mixed opinions on the Audio Circle sight. But you know what I bumped into. Check this post out:

Re: original 4b..not st...not working...repair or replace?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:15:57 am »
-------------------------------------
Everyone make great points. Contact Bryston and perhaps get a quote of some kind if possible. Used 4b's can be had for 500-700 dollars that can still have a few years warranty left on them. As far as AMP technology I would think the technology has not changed a whole lot. Still, I am sure the Bryston amps have only improved over the years. To add, I have owned a few NAD C272, and have one here at the house right now. Sonically, it is nowhere close to my 16 year old Minty Bryston 3b. The 3B smashes it in the sound quality department in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the C272 is one of the better amps you can buy under 1000. However, Bryston is still Bryston no matter how old it is. They are built to last forever, and have always been top of their class in sound IMO. Used Bryston stuff right now is an amazing investment as it can be had for a good price, with warranty left on it. And if you decide to sell, you will rarely lose money on it. Contact your local dealers to see if they have anything in stock. But first, contact Bryston about the 4b. Cheers.

Posted by Nicklebut10

Yes - that must be our old Nick, eh?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2012
Thats me dude.lol. Stu got me over at AudioCircle reading at the Bryston circle. Stu is the man for getting me on there.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3070
Audio Circle's Bryston circle is a great source of information. Bryston's VP of marketing - James Tanner - is a regular contributer, as are an engineer or two.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
Good to know Stu. You may have more of us going over there - the Bryston indoctrination.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us