Got my Ascend Sierras...

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1585
Hey everyone,

Just received my Sierra's Friday morning before going away for the Thanksgiving weekend. Got back last night and was able to hook them up.

First impressions? The build quality is absolutely amazing. The bamboo finish is beautiful - my wife even commented how beautiful they are. So WAF is high... They're also much more imposing looking than the Sttafs. For bookshelf speakers, these are quite large. They look the Sttafs look diminutive by comparison. They're quite heavy too.

I got a chance to listen to them for about 3 hours last night, so they're not fully broken in - I suspect the sound will open up a bit given time.

They sound very different from the Totem Sttafs that I was using in this rig. The bass is just a little bit tighter than the Sttafs. They don't image as well as the Sttafs (I think some of this may be placement - Ascend recommends toe-in, which I didn't do yet). But they make up for this in the mid-range. The mid-range on the Sierras is really, really good - amazing, actually. I was hearing things that I hadn't heard before on some of my favourite songs.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1586
Here's some pics!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1587
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1588
Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 193
Sweet Dave. Nice looking bookshelves - and appreciate the many shots from different angles. Interesting about the enhance detail in the midrange over the Sttafs. If anything the midrange may just improve as they break-in. We'll have to get a full review once broken in. Are you leaving them running day and night or are you just going to break them in while listening to them? The bamboo grain is neat. Congrats!

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Oh, BTW, were customs costs reasonable? What was their % on top of the cost of the product?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1997
THey sorta look like PMC speakers. Beautiful. I am also curious on what the final cost was on these puppies.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1589
Just gonna break 'em in listening to them. It's kinda fun to try and notice the change in sound as they break in.

They were shipped via USPS, so I didn't get the usual UPS raping. The total bill upon delivery was 111 bucks.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1590
You're right, Nick. They do look a lot like PMCs. The TB2i seems to have very similar specs too. Interesting...

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10970
It will be interesting to see how they break-in, for sure!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7886
Lookin' good David.

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
$111 for duty? Shipping was included in the price? Sounds pretty good. I think you've done well. I'd like to hear where they sit in comparison to your Sttafs and the RS6's. Are you building a 5th system now?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1591
Nope, the 111 was on top of shipping, but shipping was pretty reasonable. So I guess with the price of the speakers, shipping, duties and exchange they cost me over 1k. Not including the 200 I paid for the stands.

No 5th system, George. I'm evaluating these in my 2 channel right now to see how they stack up against the Sttafs. Whichever I like better will stay in my 2 channel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2001
You selling the loser Dave?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1597
Why? You interested? ;-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10978
Great ad... LOSER FOR SALE

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1598
LOL, well I wouldn't phrase the ad *exactly* like that...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2002
lol indeed that would be. I have my eye on a pair of PMC speakers right now. Trying to talk the guy into including shipping.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Dave, I guess you've got two sets of speakers to break in. The woofers on the Sttafs and the Ascends. It will be interresting to hear which the winner is. It is a bit of an apples to orange given that one's is a column and one's a bookshelf but maybe you'll find out which type you prefer for two channel. Many people do like the bookshelves for critical listening.
Nick: what model of PMC are you looking at?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1599
Truth be told George, I think I like the Sttafs the better. I know this isn't really a fair statement since the Sierras aren't broken in it. They're very different sounding speakers from eachother. While I do enjoy the more pronounced mid-range in the Sierras I found that over time this can be a little bit fatiguing. I'm very used to the very transparent, silky smooth presentation of the Sttafs, I guess.

I'll give it more time to break in the Sierras and then re-evaluate. Either way, I'll probably keep them (even if the Sttafs win the slot for the 2 channel system). I can put the Sierras int the dining room. My wife really likes them...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
Nice man. Whats in the dining room at the moment Dave? The Atoms? or Energy's?

I am going to burst if you don't try a Bryston pre amp soon.lol. I just had a NAD 162 pre amp here for the last few days that belongs to a friend in which he wants me to sell it for him. I sold it, and before shipping it I threw it in the two channel system to double check my friends word on it being in perfect order. It completely ruined my two channel system. It made such a big difference for the worse. Guitars in Eric Claptons Unplugged went from Acoustic Guitars to Banjo's.lol The music sounded slow, dull, and boring. I also have a C272 power amp(friends as well) which I through in the mix and while it was definitely not as good as the 3B, by far the biggest difference was switching out the pre amps. Hey!!, I know I was surprised as well.

1000 bucks could have got you a BP25.

lol *stirs the pot*

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1600
You're nothing but trouble Nicklebut... lol.

The Atoms are in the dining room. They're nice little bookshelves, but nothing I'd ever consider for serious 2 channel listening.

The pre-amp is part of the master upgrade plan. Still working to scrape together enough to pay my corporate taxes for the fiscal year. I'll be there soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
lol I hear ya bud. Im just playing around.

I was serious about the difference the NAD made. In a bad way. My jaw dropped, even the wife noticed it about 10 seconds into the first song.

I have babbled enough. Long live the Totems!!!!!

Bryston Pre Amp.

Haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
Your making me want to buy a pair of Totems man. FRIG!! lol

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1601
Yeah, that's pretty interesting about the NAD pre-amp. I used to believe that a good pre made very little, if any, difference. Boy, was I wrong.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3066
Dave,

You weren't wrong. A very good pre-amp makes very little difference. A bad pre-amp makes a huge difference.

A good pre-amp will show you what the rest of the system is capable of. A bad pre-amp will choke the rest of the system.

Its the most overlooked and underappreciated component.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1602
Makes sense Stu.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2013
David, I would blow a nut if you were to bring the MA RS6's downstairs for a three-way steamy gang bang competition. And then post the differences between the three in the same setting with the same gear. I might even send you a gift, something like a 20 pound X-Mas turkey or some home made Jam. LOL!!!!! Come onnnnn, please?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1613
LOL! ok, man...

Are you gonna make the jam? Strawberry is my favourite.

Seriously - that's a very, very cool idea. Just gotta find the time to do it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2014
LOL!!

Awesome, can't wait.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10991
And send out an invite, I must have some gear here for the mix.
Weekend at Dave's place!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7901
Wow...am I relieved to see you guy's, I thought I'd taken a wrong turn and wound up at the dude's p o r n o palace...lol!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10992
hehehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2016
Art- LOL!! nothing like a good ol' Saturday morning humor. I was actually laughing when I was writing that.

Nuck- your place or Dave's soon. Or mine, I don't care where it is. Got to bring some of that Classe power. Modded PSB's as well. MMmmmMMM Jam!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10993
Lets set it up guys.

If it happens here, I will have to set up the vpi table, if just for one day.

The table weighs more than some amps, but not quite the 130 lbs that the ca300 goes...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1615
I'm in... just give me enough advance notice so I can get clearance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2017
Same here!!

130 pounds? Wah!!! That is a big power amp.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1616
That weighs almost as much as my dog.

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
So with the Ascend's taking the living room duty, what are you doing with the Atom's? Are they on garage duty or are they looking for a new home? I'd welcome a try - truly a shame I don't live next door, for me that is. Your dog would love me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1631
The Ascends are in my dining room now. The Atoms have moved down into my basement into my 3rd system. They're replacing a pair of Tannoys that I just sold to a buddy of mine.

Yeah, too bad we don't live closer. We could trade out gear all the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2035
The Ascends finally lost did they David?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1633
Yup. They lost out. I'm actually enjoying them in my dining room right now while I type this. They're good speakers, but an altogether different sound than the Sttafs. The Sttafs are warmer sounding, and much, much smoother. If I had never heard the Sttafs in my 2 channel and started out right of the bat with the Sierras, I'm sure they'd still be there.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 170
Perfect example why you need to listen for yourself. I find the Staffs too recessed for my tastes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7987
Ofcourse...we knew you'd be here...after all Ascend was mentioned.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us