New AudioQuest PreAmp Jumpers for my HK3485

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2048
After mulling around the idea for a while, I decided to swap-out my HK3485's stock preamp jumpers for a fancy new pair of AudioQuest PreAmp Jumpers http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-preamp-jumper-RCA-male/dp/B0006VMBGO , and my initial impressions are good.

I was going to go with a set of my favorite budget cable from Audio Showcase http://www.audioshowcase.com/popupspecs/10r4-02101.htm , but their shortest run was 1-ft., and I was concerned that my already cluttered cable junction would become even more cluttered by the additional length of cable, and that RF interference might be an issue with the extra length of the run, so I decided that the AQ Jumpers were the simplest & best choice for this job.

I honestly didn't think this swap-out was going to make much of a difference, and while the result is not dramatic (understanding that some are willing to fork over big $$$ for less than dramatic results), I'm hearing a slight, but noticeable bass refinement, the unit sounds a hair more 3D in term of sound-staging, with perhaps slightly better separation.

Is it worth plunking down $25 to swap out a pair of jumpers on a unit that retails for about $250 (or less), I can't tell you, but I like what I'm hear with the AQ jumpers, so they're staying.

I would encourage anybody who has a receiver with stock preamp jumpers to consider this simple & relatively cheap tweak, you might just like what you hear.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3049
I use the AQ jumpers on my Bryston B60. They made a big and good difference in my system. Everything improved, albeit in different amounts. The first thing I noticed was that everything was a bit cleaner sounding - highs were less edgy, mids were smoother, and bass was tighter.

I don't think a 1 foot run of cable would have induced much more RFI or EMI, but if it sat next to other cables (particularly power cables), then it may make a ton of difference.

The AQ jumpers are one of the few things any cable manufacturer makes that isn't price over the top and is as exactly what it needs to be and nothing more. For $25, its pretty hard to go wrong, even if you're using a $250 receiver. I can't think of any tweaks from a hifi company around this price that actually work. Maybe Vibrapods, but they're very component, rack, and placement dependant.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2050
Funny you should mention the Viprapods, I picked up a set of them a few years ago, and they made no difference at that time, but I agree, they are very situation sensitive, and it might be worthwhile to revisit them at some future time.

Stu, did your try any other cables/jumpers before the AQ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us