Paradigm or B&W for NAD t763

Endess
Unregistered guest
Just bought a Nad T763, now is the time to replace my speaker. Getting either B&W 602s3, 601s3, cc600, asw675, or Paradigm studio 40v3, 20v3, adp470 (no sub). the price for these 2 package is the same. Which one do you think is better go? I listen both, I like them both.

50% HT + game and 50% music. For music, I like Studio better, HT B&W is better, b'cos of the sub. If I add a sub on the studio pack will be over budget. What should I do?????

Username: Ericb

Ottawa, Canada

Post Number: 9
I think it would come down to preference, but my immediate thoughts, opinion, would be to go with the Paradigm's and add the sub at a later date when your budget permits it. Add a sub to the studio 40's and I think they blow the B&W's out of the water. Really depends on if you want instant gratification. Good luck!

Algin
Unregistered guest
I owned studio series, almost the same setup as your list above, I love it very much.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 345
Put in another vote for Paradigm. The NAD/Paradigm combo is absolutely wonderful. Very warm and detailed sounding.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 563
I would concur with the above statements. I think you get more sound quality for the dollar with Paradigm.

It may be in the UK where B&W is made that the pricing is far friendlier for the B&W's in comparison to the Paradigm's.

Endess
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Johnny and Greg.
I'll go to audition for studio series again this weekend.

Anymore opinion on B&W and Paradigm anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Buckeyeshine

Post Number: 99
Endess,
I personally have Paradigms paired with my NAD T773. I bought the Paradigms (Monitor 7's, Atoms, Titans, CC-350, etc.) several years ago when I bought my Yamaha RX-V2092 which I recently replaced with the NAD.

Anyway, when I was auditioning to buy the speakers originally it was between the Paradigms and the B&W's. For me it was an extremely tough decision but I went for the Paradigms and have been very happy. Who knows if I had went for the B & W's because like I said, I was on the fence like you.

I don't know if this helps at all and I can't vouche for the B & W match with NAD but the Paradigms are a great match. Good luck.

Endess
Unregistered guest
Thanks JDG.
I really dont know which one to go??? but I know they both really good and handsome standing in my living room. I'll have to go back and have a really closer look at them. Hmmmm...

3m3rson
Unregistered guest
When I bought my NAD, I audtioned it with B&W and Paradigms. The B&Ws were a little more bassy than the Paradigms. I think the Paradigms tend to let the mid-frequencies speak a little better too.

I ended up with the Paradigms, and love the combo. I think that's the preference around here with NAD owners

Endess
Unregistered guest
Is $2400 for the following packages good prices?

Paradigm studio
40v3
20v3
cc470

B&W 600s3
602s3
601s3
600 centre
675 sub

If I get the the pw2200 sub, I have to save another $1000. Is the Studio really sound better for the extra $$$?

Iwent back to the store, listen to both again, still dont know which one to get. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 29
Endess, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I think you would be happy with *either* choice. If by now you still haven't noticed which one is better, chances are you won't. Because obviously neither one stood out more then the other for you, or you would've bought it!

You have a NAD but didn't mention what the dealers hooked the speakers to in the sound rooms. If you haven't heard them with NAD, I would suggest bringing your T763 to the dealers to do a sound off. Maybe that'll swing your decision one way or another.

I personally went for B&W (603/601/LCR600) but would've been happy either way. It boiled down to price & looks. I doubt my local Paradigm dealer would give me as much discount my B&W dealer did. Even though I'm in Canada.

Not sure about Paradigm, but you can probably knock 10% to maybe 20% off MSRP for B&W, unless the dealer has a fire sale.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Forgot to mention, the B&Ws are bulky as hell. The center is a huge monster. No way that thing is going on top of my TV :-)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 300
My suggestion for the B&W set is to forget the 602s and get 601 or 603 for fronts instead. This is because the 602 has a different 7" driver wich doesn't match so well with the others. Also it is somewhat less accurate than the 601 and has too much bass in a bad way. The sub will manage of the low frequencies so the 601 will be fine.

I cant comment on the Paradigms, but I think that a system without a sub loses so many qualities compared to one with, that you should rethink your options. You could for instance get 4*20v3 and a cc470 or even better 6*20v3 with some nice sub.

Also it's not too important to get a sub from the same manufacturer than the other speakers. The ASW675 is a good sub for movies, but I dont think it's the best there is. Get a Velodyne, SVS, HSU or REL instead.

Endess
Unregistered guest
Thanks Anthony,
B&W give me around 36.5% off!!! and Paradigm with 30% off.
They both audition using T763 and T773. No too much different on these 2 receivers.
I agreed with you, for sure I'll be happy with either package, but I really try to get the BEST out of these 2. (why I always do that to my self??)

Thanks Landroval,
I dont know why, but I like to keep all speaker in the same brand, haha. I've tried the Paradigm 40v3 front, 20v3 surround and cc470 centre without sub, they sound 'good' in movie, but without ground shaking kind of deep bass.
I'll go and audition for the 6x20v3 with sub (no centre??)

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
Endess,

I meant you would use one of the 20v3 as a centre. It's the only perfect way to keep the sound uniform all around the system, same speaker to every corner. Dedicated centre speakers have multiple problems caused by their design, so if possible try to get identical speakers at least for the three front channels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Wow that is a steep discount! I have heard of somebody getting 50% off but that's from a dealer going out of business. I gotta go back to give my dealer crap! :-)

Landroval is dead on. I've mentioned a few times before how I only liked the 603 & 601. Did not like 602.5 at all, and initially liked 602 but once I did an A/B switch test I found the 7" cone bass heavy vs the 6.5". The 600 is decent as surrounds only, but for the tiny price difference 601 is a wiser choice.

6x 20v3 & a sub will give you a nice 6.1 system. The additional pair will be your front & rear centers. The bigger challenge will be speaker placement. I forgot if the Studios are shielded or not, but in the B&W 600 series, only the centers are shielded & can be put close to a conventional direct view TV.

Username: Doctor_t

Post Number: 8
I heard the B&W 605, 705, 805 and the Studio v3 line in comparison, and I'd say the Studio 40v3 has an edge over the 605, 705 would come down to personal preference and the 805 is a better speaker (but much more expensive.)
You can't go wrong with a warm or netural receiver and the studio 40s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Seth, by 605 do you mean 601 maybe?

It seems that the Studios have an optional shielding so using one as a centre isn't a problem.

Endess
Unregistered guest
Thanks you all, for the very helpful opinion. I'll go audition for the few different setup landroval and Anthony suggest.

You know what, I still confuse which one to get, I always want to SHxT my self with choosing between A & B!!! Sorry guys......

I'll have a careful audiotion this weekend. ^__^

Ottawa, Canada

Post Number: 10
so?? How did the audition go? Have you made choice?

Endess
Unregistered guest
I went back on Saturday, and decided to buy the Paradigm, and just want to have the last audition in the shop, he (Jeff) thought I fxck around with him (audition 3 times with him for B&W and Paradigm) and he said there nothing more he can help me here...he prefer not to sale it to me... he really turn me off. I know salesman hate me, because I want cheaper prices and good service.

I apologize for the time all of you spent write your opinion and help me out to pick a system. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Ottawa, Canada

Post Number: 11
Right on. I am the same way with sales folks which is why I always deal with the same guy. He is the most patient saleman in the business and at the cost of this equipment, he should be. You have the right to audition as often as you need. It took me 4 months to decide. Anyways, I think you'll be happy with your choice, I personally love the paradigm studio series. Enjoy it! now save your bucks and get yourself a kick a*% sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Haha so you end up not buying either? Did I read your last post correctly?

You should've been grateful with the deep discount you got. :-)

Today my brother & I went to audition the Studio 20v3 vs 603 S3 again. He is buying a 5.1 system.

The local Paradigm dealer won't budge from tag price, even though we *are* in Canada. The B&W dealer will give me 20% or more.

So it works out the Studio 20v3 is exactly *TWICE* the price of 601 S3.

It's a no brainer in our case. We're not gonna pay the equiv of US$750 for a pair of 20v3. For that price we can almost get a pair of Dynaudio 42 up here!

Unregistered guest
Endless, forget both Paradigm and B&W and listen to a pair of Green Mountain Audio Europa's. At $880.00/pair, they cost less than either of the others. I did an a/b comparison in Mpls. between the Paradigm Reference Studio 100's (yeah, the big ones) and the GMA Europa's. No contest. GMA won hands down. Give em a listen. You'll be sorry if you don't. I've compared them to many other speakers, so let me know if you need more info.

Username: Cornboy

Post Number: 10
Endess,
Have considered the NHT M5? Great choice with NAD and you can have perfct matching all around. NHT is a "no gimmics," great sounding speaker manufacturer. Just like NAD.

Anonymous

mauimusicman I dont want to sound rude but u just keep saying the same thing on every time over and over again ur speakers may sound great but they look really shoddy. Its almost like u make these and are a salesman here.

Endess
Unregistered guest
Am I a salesman??? did I sale anything ???

Louis
Unregistered guest
I got 35% off RRP for my B&W 602s3 6.1 system, and for sure he still making money. My friend told me most of the hifi stuff making around 40% profit from the RRP.

If you want to buy something, ask them to discount, one cant do it, other can.

Louis
Unregistered guest
I got 35% off RRP for my B&W 602s3 6.1 system, and for sure he still making money. My friend told me most of the hifi stuff making around 40% profit from the RRP.

If you want to buy something, ask them to discount, one cant do it, other can.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 588
Louis--

There aren't many retailers that will stay in business very long selling warrantied B & W's or Paradigm's at 35% off. They better be selling miles of wire, cables, and other accessories or they will be out of business. It is expensive to run a business: pay rent, utilities, salaries, maintain stock, have demonstrations, etc.

No doubt, some dealers can afford to sell the occassional speaker at 35% off to close friends or when B&W or Paradigm is giving them a special deal, or on previously opened boxes, B-stock, demoes, or goods that aren't under warranty.

At best one can normally get 20% discount. And that depends on the retailer and how much you are buying. If you don't like their sales policy, you leave.

In my business I get some people calling that they can get XYZ chemical cheaper elsewhere. If I don't believe them or don't want to sell at that price I tell them--"Congratulations--go buy it from them".

You can always tell the BS-ers when they won't hang up and then they try to bargain. At that time I never budge my price after being lied to.

But most components and speakers that are notable brands are bought around 40% (0ccassionaly 50%) off MSRP.

A dealer I am close friends with usually gives me a 35-40% off (but I do them favors also). Occassionally even more if it is B-stock or he had a great deal. For a close friend of mine or relative I may have him get me the product at 25-35%, depending on the situation. Occassionally he has great deals for me on B-Stock and specials from the manufacturer.

In the last 10 or so years he does most of his sales by internet and phone. What has gotten him in trouble with some component lines are "whining" consumers that say-"I can get XYZ receiver, why can't you sell it to me at that price"? These people start playing dealers against each other and often the information gets back to the district salesman causing grief for the dealers out of the consumers area and this can cause the dealer to have the line of components pulled for selling out of their territory. Never mention the name of a dealer out of the territory if your dealer won't match the price. All you will accomplish is "screwing" the dealer giving you the deal.

I always tell my dealer friend--"If Mr.Joe Blow can get it so cheap elsewhere at that price, why is he calling you?". Usually they offer a lame excuse like the dealer is currently out of stock, in which case I tell him I can sell him lots of things at 100% off on everything I am out of stock on:-). Or they say he is closer, hence he would rather buy from him. Then I tell my dealer friend to say--"either pay for products from me that I will service conveniently or trust the other company to service your product far away"

Lots of these consumers don't realize--or maybe don't care how much trouble they can cause dealers when they mention names and complain, particularly when it is purchased over the phone or internet and it is out of their territory.

And when these consumers complain to their local retailers who don't match these prices, the local dealer will often call his product rep and then there is a strong possibility if it happens more than once the other retailer has the product line pulled.

Advice--never use one retailer against another. If price is more important to you than proximity, convenience, and local service, buy it far away and cheaper, but don't mention it to the local dealer or expect the local dealer to service any of your problems, because it now is more convenient to you. That is rude and insensitive and likely to get the other dealer in trouble.

If price is most importantto you just tell the dealer the price you need. If they meet it fine, if not, don't whine, just politely tun around and leave. No dealer is obliged to sell at the price you want, just as you aren't obiged to sell your house at the price the buyer wants to pay.

Louis
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to be rude here. Because I dont have too much money to spend, and I love musics & movies so much, so I want to buy it, and buy it cheap.

Louis
Unregistered guest
I'm trying to be rude here. Because I dont have too much money to spend, and I love musics & movies so much, so I want to buy it, and buy it cheap.

Unregistered guest
You are good customer if you let the retailer make as much money as they can. Dump / stupid is a good customer.

Louis
Unregistered guest
THERE AREN'T MANY RETAILER WILLING TO SELL CHEAP, BUT THERE ARE STILL SOMEONE OUT THERE WILLING TO BE MORE COMPETITIVE.

Bronze Member
Username: Doctor_t

Post Number: 11
Not to confuse anyone but if you have listened to speakers and know what you want but feel that the price is too high for the speaker you like, you should consider looking for it on audiogon or perhaps on ebay. Speakers take a good while to break in, they last fairly long, and bookshelf size speakers in this price range are still reasonable to ship. Buy it from someone with a good rating (Even though this doesnt ALWAYS mean you are going to come out OK.) Sure theres a small risk involved, so if you're completely risk averse maybe this is not for you but a LOT of people buy and sell on audiogon and the prices are great. Log onto the forums and check it out. I have nothing to do with audiogon by the way, it is a nice community though if a little snobbish of their high end equipment :-)
Paradigms and B&Ws are ALWAYS being listed there too.

Travis H
Unregistered guest
I'll get the Paradigm pair with Nad. Check the new Arcam avr300 out, very good receiver.

Username: Xvoid

Post Number: 4
I've got a pair of 602s2 for my main speakers and I currently have a NAD T763 on order (been waiting 3 weeks so far for it). The b&ws sounded pretty good auditioned in the shop but I will eventually be moving up to Dynaudio with the T763.

People often complain about the b&ws as being too harsh and sharp with high frequencies because of the style of tweater but it doesn't bother me that much (yet). I fell in love with the Dynaudios so that will be my goal for the NAD (when I eventually get it :[ )
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us