Kenwood Vr5700, anyone?

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 30
I am interested in feedback on this receiver. Does it hold a candle to say the Onkyo Sr701 or Pioneer Vsx 43Tx? I know they all have Thx certification which is a big reason why I am considering them. I don't need 7.1, but would like 6.1 for the future. I am considering a variety of speakers, but I would rather get the receiver first and then match speakers up to them at a later stage. Please help if you can!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 694
boils down to what features you want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I like the features of all of them, I am leaning towards the Kenwood. My question is relation to whether or not Kenwood makes a good receiver. This receiver seems to go to be true for $480 refurbished. I am also wondering if this receiver will match up well sonically with my Wharfedale Diamond 8's

Silver Member

Post Number: 707
Yes, Kenwood makes good receivers. I've had years of experience with them it should do well with Wharfedales.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Is the kenwood considered a "warm" sounding receiver or is it "bright"? On paper it does seem like a great receiver, especially since the wattage is rated at 6 ohms like the wharfedales.

Silver Member

Post Number: 711
I definitely would not call it bright.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
If they do in fact make good receivers, that's great since you can get a feature loaded receiver for much less than other brands. It seems that Kenwood receivers typically run $200-300 cheaper than other brands with similar features.

Silver Member

Post Number: 724
Yes they do. Kenwoods are under rated, but they pack a lot of features. They still provide ample power supplies when compared to other receivers in its class.

Unregistered guest
purchase the onkyo or better yet, integra by onkyo. we sell both and service kenwood, pioneer, jvc, hk, etc. get the onkyo or integra the service guy sez! alan with audio video sales and service in corpus christi, tx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Alan

I assume you are suggesting this due to reliability problems with the Kenwoods? If so, how do the Kenwoods stack up in relation to other brands? Are they bottom of the list or just not as reliable as the Integra you mentioned?

Username: Nsputnik

CA USA

Post Number: 2
He could be mentioning this becuase maybe he has a higher markup on Onkyo in comparison to Kenwood.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Thanks for the help. I went ahead and purchased the Kenwood Vr5700 to match up with my Wharfedales. I have not received the receiver as of yet, but I have received the speakers. I currently have them hooked up to an Onkyo Sr701 and they sound good. However, I am not that impressed with the Onkyo. I have tried it with both the Wharfedales and Infinity Minuettes that I have.
The sound to me is muffled or flat with no high distinction and weak midgrange with the Infinity speakers. The Wharfedales sound a good bit better but not nearly as good as it sounded with the Pioneer 814k that I had on demo for a few weeks. I am looking forward to the arrival of the Kenwood, I just hope I made the right decision seeming as though I was not able to demo the Kenwood. I will be posting my results in a few weeks when I get the speakers broken in a bit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
I recieved the Kenwood receiver and I must say that I like it far better than the Onkyo. It sounds real nice. The only thing I feel I can say negatively about this combo is the fact that the Wharfedale speaker are not that efficient (I believe).
It seems that it takes a lot of power to make these speakers shine. I have only turned the volume up to -15db so I can't speculate on what they might sound like at higher volumes but since the max of this receiver is + 13db I am near the top level.
This leaves me thinking that I might be better of with the addition of a multi-channel amp.
Anyone have an opinion on this? I was thinking perhaps a Rotel RB976 or the like.

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
try out the Outlaw Audio 7100 7 channel power amp. I use it with my Kenwood, really nice combo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us