Insignia NS-R2000

Username: Timstupid22

Post Number: 1
ok i think i blew both of my recievers, this sounds like the stupidist thing to do, but i thought it would be good at the time. i hooked the bass out from a surround sound reciever that we have to a speaker out on the insignia, with a speaker hooked into the insignia, and them both having the same audio pumped into them, they both shut off, and now when i turn on the insignia, it goes to standby, and when i select an input, at act like its going to work, then it clicks and goes back to standby, and when this process is reapeated about 3 times, i get the nasty blown smoking peice of tech smell, what should i do? i think the warranty is still good on the reciever, but it will cost a fortune to ship, and if they find out i did this, im afraid i will have to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, maybe more than its worth. i really need help.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 387
Any chance you live in the Detroit area?

Post Number: 2
i live in traverse city, kinda a couple of hours

Post Number: 3
need more details?

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
Well that is scary, my old hometown!!! Let me do some checking what we are looking for is an independent repair shop to take a look at the stuff you let the smoke out of!!! First place I can think of is another of my old stomping grounds, that being NMC, if the electronics program is still down at the Maritime academy you need to find a student

Post Number: 4
well, i dont really want to pay a lot for it, the reciever was only 100 dollars, and i was thinking of getting an old technics reciever, i live right behind nmc, so if there was someone there that could just take a look at it and tell me if it will be expensive to fix that would be awesome

Post Number: 5
i kinda wanted to get a technics sa 404
ive heard one in person and it has really nice bass, virtually no noise, i think that old audio equipment is the best. but i still need to know if i can fix what we have, so my mom isnt mad anymore

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
That is why we are looking for someone cheap as in part cost only!!!

Try using this if you don't know anyone attending or working there:

http://www.nmc.edu/technical/support/contact.html

Ask them if they are interested in some equipment to repair. We always were when I went there.

Post Number: 6
sweet, thanks, i would relly like to get this fixed, so i dont have to for over another 100 bucks to my parents

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Well for all the stuff I fried of my Dad's right across town (lived on the West side of TC near the hospital) he still hasn't forgotten but then I sorta turned all of that into a career (such as it is).

If there is a warranty on the unit and we assume you bought it at Best Buy you can always take it back there, worst they can say is no!!!

Post Number: 7
yeah, i was thinking of that, and im 80% sure the warrenty hasnt expired, and i seem to fry a lot of audio, specificly, doing things i shouldnt. i live right behind the college, and i like dealing with audio, i was thinking of making it a carer

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10887
Start at the store and play dumb.
They won't even care about 100$ (hopefully).
And quit with the Dr. Emmit Brown stuff, check here first before pulling wires, dude.

Good luck!

Post Number: 8
but the only problem is i dont have any of the original reciepts

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10888
There was no internet when JB, me and others here were blowing stuff up as kids!

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
I graduated from TC High (only one school then) went into the Maritime Academy, then automotive Tech then finally electronic tech (and about 7 different schools afterwords), never had any more fun than I did at NMC!!!

Post Number: 9
haha nice, sounds like you guys have blown a lot of audio in when you were young, sounds kinda like me

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
Call it a "gift"

Post Number: 10
i still havent told my mom though, i was talking to my friend, and he made a very funny point.
"well, I'd strike it up in a conversation, Hello, how was your day, I broke the receviers"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i could probably just tell her it failed, because electronics fail, alot

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
in general, what happenes when you pump 30 watts of audio into a speaker out of a reciever?

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Into a speaker? You create sound!! Into a line level input of another amp? You create smoke!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
into a speaker hook up, i.e. putting in what goes out, with equivalent amoutns

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
do you have any recondmendations on some tall, very bassey, floor standing speakers? preferably under $100 can be new or used

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10890
Anything that says Cerwin Vega.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10891
But what are you going to power them with? Huh huh?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
a new looking technics sa 404
ive heard this thing, and it is amazing, i absoultley love it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
those speakers are really expensive though, i was really looking for something under 100 dollars

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
There really aren't any "decent" speakers for less than $100.00. There are compromises and get you by speakers but no "decent" ones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
well i found these speakers i don know if they are good or not but they look nice, im not after really good or expensive, just something with nice bass, and such.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D260289357959&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016
its a pair of technics SB L35 speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
when they came out they were 150 a pair

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10896
Tim, you get what you pay for sometimes.
These will have no 'bass' as you know it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
well, im on an extremly tight budget as it is, so i think i might just get those, and i can hook up the sub from our busted, cheap, rca 5.1 system, and call it good. i am already in debt with my parents, and i have to find a way to either fix the good reciever, or return it for the money, so those are good enough for me. once i get other things higher in my prioreties list, i will definently consider getting a good pair of cerwin vegas, or bose, or similar

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
and you never know, they could have decent bass. i bought a really cheap pair of koss headphones from meijer, and they have really decent bass, i thought they would be terrible

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
NOT BOSE!!! And Cerwin Vega only on a budget!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
dont like bose?
i like the acoustimass 7 sub, my cuz has 2, they are built very cheaply, probably $10 worth, but they sound fairly nice, but you guys are professionals, so i'll take your word for it. i havent grown up with any nice audio, the best thing we ever owned being a cheap rca dvd player, reciever, that came free with our tv, which is the other thing i blew yesterday. so i think, with my level of pro, would enjoy the technica setup i want

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i got the speakers today, and since i dont have a recoever, i dont really have a chance to try them out, so i hooked them up to my ipod, and they sound really nice, not a lot of bass, but thats to expect when they are powered by just my ipod. i looked inside and the foam looks brand new also. everything is in almost perect condition, which is surprising for almost 30 year old speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
i dont think any ones paying attention to this, but i got my reciever today, and i love it, and my speakers do have that "bassy" sound to them, its 10 pm, so i really havent had much time to really crank them up, and its a good thing i got speakers that handle double what the reciever does.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1555
As long as you're happy with your purchase Tim, that's all that matters :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
im pretty satisfied for my first audio equipment purchase, its the best audio setup in the house, and its all mine

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1556
That's cool man. Congrats.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 165
Hey Tim. Just read this thread from top to bottom. You're starting off on the wild audio ride. Good for you. Ain't nothing wrong about loving your gear...in fact that's the point. Enjoy it, enjoy the trip. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2063
I bought my brother an opened-box Insignia NS-R2000 for his bedroom on eBay for $25 shipped, it's a re-badged Sherwood RX-4109 http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rx4109.html from what I can tell, and It hasn't blown-up yet.

It a real feather-weight, but sounds pretty nice @ reasonable listening levels with a pair of Polk R15 and an old Apex AD-2500 DVD/CD Player.

It ain't exactly audiophile stuff, but it was cheap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us