A sudden change in plans,speakers in the $3k to $5k!

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1829
Well the Infinity Classia C336 has found a new owner,my dad bought them from me for $1500,I was very conflicted about selling,them but the salesman in me could'nt resist.I only paid a little over $1k for them after shipping,so made good,and so did my dad,he got a very good speaker,to go with his new Vincent setup.So what are some of you guys suggestions,I have 1 contender so far,I wanna make sure I didnt miss anyhing,the Classia C336 wont be easy to replace dispite its price.Here is the Criteria for the speakers:They have to be towers,they have to go down to atleast 35htz,I dont have any size constraints,those are the only needs,im reaching for something that performs outside their class,thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1504
Totem Winds.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1832
David,they retail for more than that,I used to sell Totems,and their driver intergration isnt very good for a speaker in their pricerange,all us at te shop Preferred the Mani 2 Ref,Hawk,Model Sig,and the Arro,but we did prefer them to the Forrest until we realy got the trickie MF's setup right,then the Forrest was awsome,thanks David anymore suggesions?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3033
For far cheaper, The Revel F12 is an awsome speaker. Not sure about its measured bass depth, but its huge and strong.

For $4k, the Audio Physic Spark is phenominal. The $5500 Tempo is a definite improvement.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3034
For a different sound, Sonus Faber Concerto and Grand Piano. Not sure about measured bass depth though.

It all depends on the rest of the system. I could suggest Naim Allaes for $5500, but they may not sound so impressive in a lot of systems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1833
Good suggestions right there,Stu,I may be able to stretch to about $6500 with all te stuff have to trade in.Right now the Speakers on my Radar heavily is the Gershman Sonograms.Im also looking at the Devore Super 8's but I dont know if they will play low enough,the Definitve Mythos ST's are also a possibility and I know I can get a good deal on them,The Revel 52's could be possible im not sure yet.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10883
I still like what the Anthony Gallo ref 3.1 brings to the table.
You need not use the Gallo sub amp, as an active XO (say from Behringer or Crown) will enable a choice of power for the 2nd voice coil.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2015
I'd consider the Monitor Audio GS60 and RS8.

But why not simply get another pair of C336? You seemed so pleased with them, and hardly got to know them?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1837
Thats true,Chris but my dad has them now,we're somewhat competitive,plus I have a chance to move up and get to another level,the electronics are capable of more than the C336 can offer as great as they are.The GS60 sounds similar to the C336 their on the same level,the Classia's smoke the RS8's which I actually prefer the RS6 for their quicker bass and better midrange.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1461
TW, the Gallo's Nuck mentions are very cohesive and meet all of your criteria. They do not add a sonic signature to the equation. They really shine with an abundance of power which you certainly can provide them.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10885
No XO (just one cap) and a broad field of dispersion make the Gallo's easy to place.
Focal alignment is still useful, but not necessary, except for the captains chair and the devoted critical listener.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1838
Guys bought another pair of Classia C336's,and then went to audition the Sonogram,wow stunning speaker,just stunning.I gotta have these WOW! listening thru a all Plinus setup all Class A,oh yeah,working out a good trade to get these put about $750 bucks on them,cant wait to get these on the Bada gear.So the C336 will anchor the 2nd system,with the Epos M12.2,Wharfedale Diamond 8.1& the Maggie SMGc's with the C336's still spending time in the 1st system my new pair will be here friday.The Swan Diva 6.2's,Strata Mini,Eltax Monitor III,and the Onix XL-S will be sold or traded along with the Musical Fidelity X-150,X-10v3,Melody Sp3 will a be gone I dont wanna take all this on the trip to Denver and risk something happening to it.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 151
Hey Tawaun - are these the one's you're waiting on:
http://www.gershmanacoustics.com/images/reviews/Sonogram.pdf

These are from a Canadian based company, eh? Canadian, eh? What do you like about them? What's sold you on them? Looks like they are around $2700.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1976
George- Right by us in our own Province of Ontario my friend. Good call. I will have to check these out for sure.

Tawaun- What are you thinking my friend...and great sounding speaker...for a decent price...made in...Canada?lol There has to be a version made in china somewhere for at least 10 dollars. lol Im kidding man. Kidding. Just making light of things. Hey..the Gershman speakers look sexy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1839
The stereomojo review caught my attention 1st I've always like Gershman they are usually very nuetral with a big soundstage and huge bass.Just this month alone their have been 2 reviews on them,plus they kicked up some serious dust at the last 3 shows,their price is $3699usd and they will take a price hike by the 1st part of 09.Funny you mention that Nick I do know a chinese ProAc 2.5 Response clone for a $1072 shipped same drivers same design its said to sound exactly like it,John Atkinson measured the 2.5's down to 25htz amazing for a 2way,always been 1 of my favorite speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us