3.5mm to Coaxial Creative XtremeGamer to Onkyo s4100 HTIB

Username: Xtremebawls

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased an Onkyo S4100 HTIB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120083&Tpk=s4100
I purchased it planning to run my Samsung LCD TV, Pioneer DVD player, and my computer through it. I have the TV and DVD player all working fine, and I have also had my computer working fine by using a 3.5mm to dual RCA(red and white) cable. But I was just using that cable until the 3.5mm to Coaxial cable i ordered arrived and it came today, but I am having no luck with getting it to work. I run it from the FlexiJack on my Creative XtremeGamer soundcard to my Coaxial input on my receiver.(When I was using the 3.5mm to RCA i used video input 3 on my reciever as that was the only open input so i am assuming using that same input and enabling Coaxial from the digital input button on the front of the receiever should do the trick) Well it is not working, and I am at a loss on what to do. I enable Spdif out in the sound panel in windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 2
No one knows anything about running flexi out from computer to coaxial in on a htib receiver?

Post Number: 3
Great to see this is a helpful forum...

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 395
Well to be honest...

No I will simply say that the audio out of your 3.5 is analog and the coaxial in is digital. It will not work in this configuration.

You are also in the wrong forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Try this:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/computers/8844.html

Post Number: 4
Thank you for the help. Whether or not i posted in the wrong section, it would only be right to point a new member in the right direction i would think? I wasn't sure what section to post under as this falls into many sections. Receiver, sound card, software, HTIB, etc. I do have to disagree that running 3.5 from the flexi/spdif out to a coaxial in on a receiver will not work. I it will just not be Dolby DTS sound quality. I know of other people who have done this. It's common sense that it will work, i just need to know what im not doing right. I will find somewhere else for help as this is not the place obviously.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
Common sense says that if it works on an analog input yet it doesn't on a digital input then, if your sound card is capable, you have a setting, on your computer, that needs to be changed from analog out to digital out.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3223
Brock,

Yours is not an HTIB. They include the DVD player in the same box.

FWIW, you're in the right forum.

From what you say, you've wired it up correctly. You should plug in the 3.5mm output of the computer to the coax input on the receiver. Suggestions:

When you switch to input 3, on the front display, does it say analogue or digital. You may need to set the input as being digital on the receiver. So far you have used the analogue input 3 for the computer so the receiver needs to be told that input 3 is actually the coax input instead. I suspect this is your problem.

If the above doesn't work, then if your TV or DVD player has a coax output try connecting them into the receiver to see if that coax input works at all.

Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us