2000k for 7.1 In Ceiling

Silver Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 194
My Dad is remodeling and is looking for some in the ceiling speakers for about 2k or less including the sub, preferably less. The living room isn't huge but not tiny either. We want a decent sound system he can crank up for when he has guests over. We can get the receiver and sub later but he needs speakers asap because of the remodel.

Also if he goes with in-ceiling speakers, should the center channel be located above or below the 65" TV on the wall?

Right now we are looking at polk LC80i's for the surround because they are fairly cheap online and the polks sounded decent at frys. I'm sure theres more/better options out there though so I wanted to hear it from the experts :-)

OOOPS Small Type thats $2k for speakers! I bet that got your attentions! lol

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1225
Are you limited only to in ceiling speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1483
I can't really help you with this, but I like your username.

Seriously though, I'd try talk him out of the idea of ceiling speakers. I've heard HT systems built like this and it was just weird hearing sound coming from above you. Plus it really limits your ability to upgrade when (notice I didn't say "if") he tires of the Polks.

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 40
2000k is probably the biggest budget in the world for speakers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1484
lol... I was working under the assumption he meant 2k.

Otherwise he'd be looking at something other than Polk.

Bronze Member
Username: I_am_kirk

Post Number: 41
Maybe polk has some hidden 2 mill gems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
I'm pretty sure he wants them in the ceiling to save space and not have cables running all over the floor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
I'm recomending he get a 5.1 setup instead of 7.1 here is the layout of his room, it is not very ideal.

One advantage of putting speakers in the ceiling is he can get one over the hall/dorway in the front of the room.

I made this to the best of my knowledge, and I suggested he center the TV with the couch, and go with rear in the wall speakers to bring them down to ear level and get them set back as far as possible...

Ideal

His Setup

Need some feedback.

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
Help! :-(

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1540
Definitely go for 5.1 over 7.1. He'll gain no benefit from the extra rear channels, especially in a room where they can't be placed properly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us