Some undoubtedly easy questions...

Username: Tonyginsf

Post Number: 2
Just bought some new home theater components and I have some questions that I bet are pretty easily answereable:

1. Is there a differencbe between a "digital coax" cable and a standard audio cable with RCA connectors on each end? My new receiver (a Sony STRDE895S) only has a digital coax audio input for the DVD (vs. optical). I tried a standard RCA audio cable, and it seemed to work, but sort of not...

2. All my components are new and fairly high-end (for consumer market stuff); however, when I put in a fairly newish DVD to test the audio, I could only get the receiver to play the audio in PCM mode, and I'm pretty sure that's not very good compared to, say 5.1 (I could be completely talking out of my hiney here for all I know). Am I not doing something correctly that is causing the surround sound not to be working at its optimal level?

3. This one is probably a *really* stupid questions..but...the new TV is a widescreen HDTV. The DVD I put in was one of the LOTR movies that says "widescreen format". However, when I played the movie, it was still letterboxed. Shouldn't it take up the entire screen playing a widescreen-format DVD to a widescreen TV? I tried all the "wide" settings on the TV (a Sony KP51WS510), but none of them seemed to cause the whole screen to fill.

Sorry for the rambling questions...but any informed answers will definitely be appreciated.

<<tony>>

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Where did you buy this system?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 363
No 2. In the DVD player setup menu set the audio for pcm/stream. When playing surround DVD's set your receiver to the format selected on the movie menu (DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 if avail). Your receiver should automatically switch to the format slected. (this is for using digital cable connection - either coaxial or optical).

No 3. Widescreen 16.9 movies come in two screen size formats. There are exceptions but they are usually either 1.35:1 or 1.18:1 the first being larger black bars and the latter filling the entire screen (for widescreen). If you want full screen on the 1.35:1 ratio then you'll need a zoom or ratio fill feature.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 259
1. Yes, a standard RCA cable will work as a digital coax.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 42
correction to my rantz's no. 3: i believe the 2 formats are 2.35:1 and 1.81:1. the latter is obviously about the same as the physical screen (16x9) and thus fills it; the former is shorter for the same width and this results in black bars top and bottom.

now for my dumb question: what is PCM? i know what the letters stand for but that's it.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 261
bigfan,

this will help: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/27672.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us