Amp for CD 5i and Wharfedale 9.6

Bronze Member
Username: Quaintdreamer

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 14
Hi I am using Naim CD 5i and Wharfedale 9.6 speakers currently with Counterpoint SA 1000 preamp and Marantz MA 500 Monoblocks.Hope someone could suggest a good replacement for these amps. I listen to Jazz,Classical and Vocal
warm regards
quaintdreamer

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10840
Good morning Q.

I would suggest going right to the dealer and listening to More Naim gear, like a Nait or up the ladder to seperates.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 15
Hi Nuck There is no dealer for Naim in India. I have bought almost all my components after going through the Forum. The Cd 5i I got through Dubai showroom without ever auditioning it,but i am very happy that I made a good decision by listening to others(forum discussions ). I am still not sure whether I should go for an integrated amp or the seperates your help badly needed.
regards Q D

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 122
Naim works best with Naim gear from all I've read and heard. Your best bet is to search for a Naim integrated. A Nait 5i would be a great pair-up. It may be worth seaching out on eBay and the like for one. That would be your best option, everything else would probably be a trade-off. Cheers!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3013
I'm assuming that you're not very happy with the way your system sounds. Not to be mean, but I think your system has just about zero synergy. The individual parts may be very good, but I can't imagine the complete system is anywhere near as good any single piece.

A few questions...

What is your system doing wrong, or not doing right?

What does it do right?

Why do you think you need new amplification?

What did you have before the CD5i, and why did you get rid of it?

Which component is the weakest link? How do you know?

What difference(s) do you think a new amp will make? What differences do you want it to make?

What are you looking for in a stereo system? Please don't say 'clear highs, a warm and rich midrange, and deep, tight bass.' Everyone wants that.

Do you listen to live music? What is it about live music that you want in your system? Pin point imaging? An expansive soundstage? Pace, rythym, and timing (PRaT)? Details? Tonality? Unless you have a huge budget, no system will give you all of it. You need to prioritize. Some systems have excellent PRaT, but lack imaging, soundstaging. Some are very detailed, but lack drive and PRaT. Some are soft and easy on the ears, but lack tonality and clarity. Again, your system should reflect what your truest couple of priorities are.

People can make a ton of recommendations, but that doesn't mean that they'll know what you like, or that the piece they recommend will work in your system in your room and with your music. The best advice anyone can give you is to audition as much stuff as you can. I understand it may be difficult to audition what you want to audition.

A lot of people will tell you a Nait 5i or better Naim is a natural match to the CD5i. I won't dispute that at all. But that doesn't mean that's what you're ultimately after. Which brings me back to the begining - How do you know you need different amplification and not a different CD player?

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Stu is right on with his response. I guess I was a little quick with the trigger on my response. Naim with Naim will probably work best but that's only if you really want to stick with your Naim CDP. You could always hop to something different.
Try answering some of Stu's questions and the boys will come up with some alternatives for you.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 16
Hi Stu /George,
Thanks for your thoughts and time,
I feel like I am facing an interview board after reading Stu,but it was quite an eye opener.I will try my level best to explain . First of all I was using a Philips DVD player for my audio and I was aware of the shortcomings but being in India it was(is)next to impossible to buy new equipments.Only two years back we have got a new dealer, who is also a friend of mine started dealing with I A G products Quad,Wharfedale etc. After researching the net I found out about Diamond 9.6 and ordered it.The dealer never had that particular model with him so auditioning was not possible.I was using a small bookshelf Akai speakers before that along with a Pioneer SA 8800 integrated.The speaker brought out great music from my same CD collection so next I bought Hafler 110 preamp and Marantz MA 500 poweramps that too changed the quality of music a lot. 2 months back I bought CD 5i from Dubai through a friend of mine and last month I bought the used Counterpoint Dual Channel Hybrid SA 1000 and a new pair of Transparent Audio Twisted interconnects.I am quite happy with this set up it has become more detailed than earlier. But what I miss is imaging and sound staging, probably using new generation cd player and speakers and old amps with them. Right now my system is not delivering below 60-50 Htz, and I am not a person to judge or talk about tonality. With all these words I hope I didn't confuse you.
Thanks for your concern
Q D

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3014
Quaint,

I wasn't trying to put you on the spot at all. Sorry if I made you feel that way. I was just asking those questions to get a better understanding of what you're looking for, and what component(s) are really to blame.

You didn't confuse me at all. In fact, you made a few things very clear for me (and hopefully more people here).

"But what I miss is imaging and sound staging, probably using new generation cd player and speakers and old amps with them."

In a word, no. Naim is known for a lot of things. Imaging and soundstaging is not one of them. They aren't the most expansive sounding gear, nor will they deliver pin point imaging. They produce a 'wall of sound' as they like to call it.

Bass should also not be the fault of the amplification. Truth be known, if you replaced your amplification with Naim amplification, it may sound more rolled off. Naim bass is significantly leaner and tighter than Marantz. In a proper room, you may hear it go lower and be tighter, but it won't be as plentiful as Marantz's, if that's a concern.

If your primary concerns with your system are imaging, soundstaging, and rolled off bass, I strongly believe your problem lies in the room and/or speaker placement rather than the system. The Diamond 9.6s should go far lower than 60-50 Hz, and should image and soundstage pretty well.

Before spending more money on something you may not have to, you should try adjusting the speaker position and /or your listening chair position. Speaker placement is a pretty tricky thing. Here's a link to a great article -

http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html

I'd experiment with this before I spent any more money.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 126
quaint
www.hifivision.com is a good forum in india from which you can get information on dealers etc

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 17
Stu /Francis, Thanks for that link, the Speaker placement in my room I believe is absolutely unscientific its 11.50pm here in India, I will get into action early in the morning itself.
Francis, the site you sent is down, thanks anyway.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1785
Stu is right,soundstaging isnt 1 of Naim's strong suits,but their is a good thing to all of this,the newer naims especially their CDP's can work with other brands.Stu is right again synergy is a huge problem for your system right now,You want soundstaging and imaging,whatever you do,dont get rid of the CDP it will be a big pieace to your puzzle,you gotta have that rhythum and timing.Now lets incorprarate the soundstaging and imaging to the party,since the 9.6's excel at that and bass.Im gonna point you to the Creek gear the Destiny if you can stretch that far,it will give the Wharfedales great bass slam extension and the soundstaging and imaging you require.Creek is rhythum and timing masters like Naim but they,trade a bit of it for a more well rounded sound,with great imaging and soundstaging with great bass slam and a bit more topend air to boot.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3016
Bryston is along the same lines. As is Densen. As is... There are a lot of amps that'll fit the bill. However, no amp will reach its potential if the speakers aren't placed properly.

The 9.6s image very well, and they claim bass down into the low 30's - high 20's. Just about all amps will go 20-20k Hz or better, as will all CD players. If he's getting only getting 50's and 60's, its not any piece of gear, its the room and/or placement.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 18
Hi TAW/Stu
I have heard a lot about Bryston 2B SST.It is one of the amps other than Nait 5i that I am thinking of, but just like Stu have suggested first I am going to reposition my speakers to hear any difference.I will be considering Creek as well. Let me also ask you about some good recording labels like Stockfisch that you may have come across?

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 127
try the site again quaint. i just went into it

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 19
Hi Francis thanks, I got myself registered in it yesterday.Just for information sake, I would like to know whether an external DAC will improve the imaging and sound stage of the system

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 129
i've got absolutely no idea. am sure some other members will be able to help

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3217
Not with a Naim CD player - it doesn't have a digital output. With other players, maybe but maybe not. As for bass, well, Naim speakers don't usually offer a lot of bass, but their electronics usually have bass in spades.

The others are on the right track I think - your problems probably stem from room/placement issues.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 20
Hi Stu,
I am so grateful to you for sending me the Audiophysic link.Past 2 days I didn't get any of my friends for any assistance, so I was doing all the measurements and stuff like that in the site by myself. In brief like a thunderbolt,now my listening position has become the greatest place for music, I have never experienced music in my life like this.Imaging has improved beyond what I have perceived of. But this is only making me more greedy, now I want to try every available components in the world to try out.(Hope my poverty will keep me away from such stupidities)
Warm regards
qd

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3029
I'm glad it worked out for you. The combination of qualities you said were lacking can mostly be attributed to speaker placement. If you cahnged the amp for another one, I highly doubt there would have been any significant gain. And it saved you a good sum of money. Always try the free stuff before spending hard earned money.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 22
Hi, I am thinking of going for Nait 5i since I already have CD 5i, will it go fine with Thiel 1.6 or Spendor S5e? I would like to replace my Wharfedale 9.6 with one of these, I don't stand any chance of getting any audition of any of these components, so everything depends on your suggestions.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3304
I am not a fan of the Spendor even though it got many rave reviews when it came out. Nicely made, but that's about it.

I have no experience of the Thiels, but I have heard good things about them. The 1.6 appears to have a fairly hefty impedance load however, so you may find yourself hitting the limits of the Nait5i in larger rooms, particularly if you like to 'turn it up'.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 70
And just to confuse you even more I am a big fan of spendor speakers, and they gell very well with Naim electronics. The Thiels need more power than the Naits can offer. Whatever speakers you move to. you will need to find the romm balance again.

As you are happy with sound you have i would suggest you live with it for a little while and decide which way you want to go with your future changes, and if possible do it one piece at a time.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 368
Another very inexpensive improvement you could make before investing heavily in new components is improving the isolation of your existing components. Lots of different ways to accomplish this, some free, some very expensive, but there are a number that are very inexpensive or free.

I purchased isonodes ($20) to put under my transport/dac and amp, and of course blu-tack ($3) under my speakers, but there are lots of other options both purchased and homemade. If your gear is just sitting in a regular gear rack or stereo stand/speaker stands, you can realize significant benefits. Focus, depth, bass control, and spatiality all improved big time for me. Best bang for the buck improvment that I've done.

Lot's of threads on this site with oodles of info from other members here. You should read through them.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8010
I've heard that Naim/Spendor combo and it works very well...very well.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3308
What do you see in the Spendors??? Seriously, we had them in to consider for our shop and none of us could understand how they were getting such rave reviews. Two guys declared them the worst speaker they'd ever heard. Just nothing there. The S6e was a vast improvement, even if it was still not really our bag, and the S8e was interesting but that's about it.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 23
Hi Chris, I have heard of Isonodes I don't know where it is available in India anyway I am gonna try it. But I believe Blu Tack is an adhesive ? How am I suppose to use it on my speakers ?Thanks for your suggestions.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 24
Frank, I have shortlisted Spendor purely on the basis of all these reviews. I have absolutely no scope of auditioning any of these speakers here in India,all I can do is place order and they will get it for u whether you like it or not you have to live with it. Can you please suggest any speakers to replace my 9.6 ? anyway I have decided to stick with my Naim gear. Thank you

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 373
Quaintdreamer. You can order the isonodes here http://www.brightstaraudio.com/vibration_control_products.htm

They deliver.

As for Blu-tack, you put it on the bottome of the speakers to couple the speakers to the speaker stands. More info....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-tack

You can use isonodes under your speakers too, but I haven't tried that yet.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2017
Quaintdreamer, as much respect as I have for Frank, his is (along with his shop mates) just someone's opinion. It doesn't make the Spendors a bad speaker. I for one have listened to the S8e with Naim source and amp and was rather impressed - they do have a very sweet midrange. My brother has the S8e's and loves them. Many, many people do. However, buying speakers without the chance to audition them is playing with fire - especially if you can't get a refund or exchange. Remember, we all have different tastes (better and cheaper if we didn't) so while opinions may help to some degree, they certainly can't provide the answer to your audio contentment.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8016
The S8e is the best in the range IMO. The S5e is not for someone who wants thundering low end or rock concert volumes and they also doesn't mate well with all gear but I feel that they mate well with the entry level Naim and Rega gear.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3317
Absolutely right MR, it is just my opinion (well, mine and the others in the shop but that's the same difference). And there's no denying we're in a minority on this since so many journos seem taken with them. Needless to say it was a crushing disappointment to us since they ticked all the right boxes otherwise. I really was asking what people saw in them actually, because I'd love to know what you heard that we didn't.

Isonodes - we used to sell the similar Isopods. Under most equipment they lowered the noise floor and gave better bandwidth. However, long term I never felt completely at ease with them finding the music lost a bit of its grip and solidity. I have the same problem with some other suspended or vibration controlled solutions such as Audiofile Base and Twonshend's seismic sink solutions (the rack worked brilliantly but the speaker stands leave me with this odd feeling).

Quaintdreamer, choosing relatively expensive gear like this is an awful choice to make. Are there no dealers in your area who can demonstrate products to you at all? We could just as easily tell you to buy anything we liked, but you may not like it.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2018
Frank, I can't say - not knowing what you heard :-) however, I admit I listened briefly to either the S5e or S6e and wasn't overly impressed, but then at the time I wasn't interested in a small floorstander so I really didn't give it a fair appraisal. I also heard the S9e and I remember liking them also, but not their big price. And the difference certainly didn't warrant the extra couple of grand.

But Spendors may (or may not) suit QD's ears and better he choose something locally with a warranty and service imo than taking a stab based on we might think he should buy - as you agree.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 25
Hi Frank,
I have two options to audition Naim, 1) Dubai, 2)Singapore, both locations I have to sail across the Arabian Sea or Bay of Bengal. Not to forget I don't even have a passport. Very recently I heard Thiel bookshelf and I was really impressed, but I have not heard any of their floor standers. Since I have 600 sq.ft. of listening area to consider I have to think of something better than my Diamond 9.6, and also I thank M.R. for your thoughts.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 144
quaintdreamer
there are a lot of brands available in india. am not sure about kerala but definitely bangalore / bombay / delhi. what dont you try out products that you can listen to. all the brands that youre looking at are good. and so you'll get good reviews about all of them. it'll boil down to personal preference. but if you're bent on certain brands that arent available in india then i suggest you direct your questions towards specific characteristics of the components and suit it to what you would prefer

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 26
Hi Francis, I have been to few of these places, infact I just got back home this morning from Bangalore. Most of these places they don't have the specific model we are looking for, anyway are you from Kerala ?

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 145
im from hyderabad. i've got the same problem as you over here - no outlets to audition. and i depend a lot on the replies that i receive on forums. i found the best way is not to ask for an overall view of the product but to ask specifics. and list whats important to you. warm / neutral, highs, mids, lows vocals, sound separation, musical.... and then you tick off whats important to you and whether it the product has that characteristic.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 375
There are also plenty of internet only products that offer in home trials. You're still out the return shipping if you don't like them, but you're not out the entire investment. Just something to consider.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3320
I must admit I really feel for your situations. It's so unfair for you to have to put up the money without even getting a chance to audition the components. I am convinced this does not help the HiFi industry to grow in your area.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 147
thanks frank. we do have the mainstream entry and mid level 'audiophile' equipment - nads, rotels, arcams, etc etc. so for someone entering hifi there is the choice. if you want something more than that then its an issue. i guess its what the market and economies dictate. what is more of an issue is the lack of knowledge of the sales person. and their lack of interest in helping when you want to switch around amps and speakers and cdps in the store while auditioning

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 148
chris the problem with internet products is like you said the transport (which is across continents) and customs. in many a case it would work out to half the cost of the product itself. the only answer is for a higher number of people to buy such sort of equipment. the market will automatically force and demand the service levels and product choice that we need

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 27
Frank, The Hi Fi industry is still in its infancy in India like Francis has mentioned buying products through internet is prohibitively expensive. 3 weeks back I went to Madras for the Boston Acoustics/ Marantz product launch, non of the Marantz Reference series were there. Boston Acoustics VS 336 speakers were a big disappointment. The guys who came from Japan and Singapore were rookies, had no idea about the products,they just read the specifications from the brochure and left, but the food and stay was good.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3334
*Frank falls to his knees in a blubbering faint!*

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 28
Falling unconscious on your knees? How often does it happen to you, and how old are you Frank? Or is it a cause of poor imagination ? It would have been justifiable if I had fallen on my face...traveled so far and coming back without seeing (hearing) any of those Top of the line equipments. But like they say "beggars have no choice".

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3343
Just gobsmacked that such a big forward looking country can be stuck so resolutely in the past...

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 29
Hi Frank, I was just pulling your leg . What you said is true Big forward looking country.Neither here nor there. Hoping things will change sooner than the deafness creeps in.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3349
Hi QD, I thought India was on the up now that they're so heavily into the world market and China is becoming expensive?

Or is the continued tension with Pakistan still holding the country(ies) back?

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 30
Frank, I don't think Pakistan is a threat to the present scenario. Though India is much smaller geographically to U S population is several fold more. 3 weeks back when I went to the Marantz launch I visited an Audio dealer in Madras where he was having a lot of high end stuff. He was having Bryston B 100 SST. It was prized a little more than $4000 U S. for the basic model.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11109
Yikes!

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 158
the issue is that there are not enough buyers for such products. if the market in india demands it the market will supply it. the 'audiophile' market has to evolve. a lot of boys get their passion for music systems because their father owned one. most fathers didnt own high end music systems in india. people that had sony / technics etc etc thought that they had a good system. now the younger generation is learning that there is something better out there - but still its a small percentage. not having too many live shows doesnt help it either

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3356
I'm betting there's also the question of lifestyle. India is a hot place most of the time. You don't exactly want to huddle at home listening to your system with a cup of cocoa. More likely you're out and about enjoying a natter with friends enjoying the cool breeze.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 31
No such lifestyle is yet tangible to the common mass. Of course I spend a lot of time with my friends. Even getting good music is a question of will power. I have been trying Herbie HAncock's Grammy winning album River The Joni Letter for almost a year now, at last I got a pirated copy. I swear I will buy the original the moment I see one. Unfortunately all my favorite music are at least 2 or 3 continents away. Why don't you think of an outlet here in India ?

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 159
frank - lol. when you have hot weather constantly like you do in india, you dont go outdoors to enjoy the sun. you stay indoors to escape it

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3364
Hmmm, back home in Malta where it's fairly hot and humid most of the time, people are out in the evenings enjoying the cool sea breezes and having a natter. During the day, most people work for a living!

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 32
Hey you mean Republic of Malta? So you are from Europe ! How long you been in U S? My dad used to talk about Honey from your country, I don't remember it well though.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 33
Frank, Do you sing Ghana?

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 34
Are you related to Fredu and Mikiel Abela ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11116
Frank, do you have a falcon?

Sorry...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2020
Careful Nuck - you might be making a Maltese cross.

ditto on the sorry . . .

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11118
Little sugar-foam balls covered in chocolate here are called Malteasers.

Hell, we havn't had a go at Frank ina while...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2021
Got them here too - and malted milk drinks - hey I'd better think twice about having on of those again.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11120
Maltese balls?

Oh the humanity!

Frank in 3...2...1....

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3369
LOL, well that caused a stir!

QD, I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK and have been here for 26 years or so.

I do not 'sing' the Ghana, thank God.

I do not know that I am related to Fredu and Mikiel Abela (Abela is the Maltese equivalent of Smith or Jones in the UK).

Nuck, I do not have a falcon! :-) Incidentally, there never was a Maltese Falcon - that was a fiction, which was quite disappointing (but not surprising) news when I found out.

Oh, and they're Maltesers and yes, I wish I had a honeycomb centre. I'd be carrying a lot less weight.

MR...never heard that before...! :-)

Malted drinks are fine. Just start paying your dues...:-)

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 35
Frank, what is ur business known as ? I got friends from India in U K, and where are u located ? Couple of years back I was planning to attend WOMAD. Eventually... everything went wrong.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3378
QD, I 'work' in Reading's branch of Audio-T. Audio-T has grown in size due to a merger with two other small chains. We're slowly becoming less specialised which is really putting strain on my interest since I only really like playing with HiFi I can't afford. Then again, we DO deal in Naim, Chord Electronics, Cyrus, Rega and Arcam, which isn't bad I guess.

WOMAD eh? Held in Reading until this year I believe though I have never been...

Then there's the Reading festival - usually I can hear it from my house, but this year I didn't hear it. Perhaps they were being a bit more careful, or perhaps they were annoying the rich people on the other side of the river instead.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 36
Frank, I am thinking of buying Sub woofers, I have a choice of Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics and Klipsch to choose on, though my Audio dealer is suggesting me to try a new Preamp instead....

Bronze Member
Username: The_mofo

Post Number: 16
Crap, crap, crap. Dissing the man's system sound unheard. Stu Pitt has no credibility.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8273
Dale...bored today I see.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3409
QD,

I suggest you listen to your dealer - he's bound to have a better handle on your system than I do! For example, I don't know the Counterpoint at all, and I am only vaguely familiar with the Marantz amps.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 37
Hey something very interesting happened, I was given a Sansui C 55 preamplifier, if you don't know, it has got a loudness switch. With the loudness ON I am getting excellent Bass, Highs are little edgy and lower mid is slightly resonating ( it was already there due to room acoustics)so anyway I am latching on to this setup for a while.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Oh oh, now you have gone and done it. The "Goldenears" will be on you like a duck on a June bug. I would point out (as you have probably already discovered) that utilization of the loudness button will not compensate for system inadequacies in general and when used at loud volume levels may result in distortion.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3415
The loudness button was originally developed for low level listening because humans find it more difficult to discern bass at low levels. In essence it boosts bass frequencies by a prescribed amount (depending on manufacturer) in order to give you a better impression of the complete piece of music.

In theory, it's a good thing, and I seem to recall certain implementations which automatically reduced the loudness as the volume was turned up, though I forget which brand made that particular refinement. In practice, this is the real problem - people invariably left the Loudness button switched on and it skewed a large proportion of the public's view of how much bass should be in a track.

Leaving the Loudness button switched on when playing loudly can result in premature distortion in the bass region due to overdriving the power amplifier.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well thanks Frank. I didn't know that.

Bronze Member
Username: Peterhead

Post Number: 28
Yeah, nothing like redundancy to make your day.

Silver Member

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 417
Speaking of redundancy.....

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 38
lol, oh yes I just found out that side of Loudness.Well this preamp does not have any such automatic controls, but it is not giving any problem to my usual listening level.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Chris, glad to see you finally acknowledge your useless existence, as least as far as thie forum is concerned. Congratulations. You're on your way!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
You ain't never lied.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11206
yawn

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
So since John Boy and Will are obviously dating, maybe we should give them a Hollywood couples name:

Jill Boy perhaps.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11207
George, don't feed the troll!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
That's right. He might turn into a Nuck, God forbid.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 39
Does any new generation Pre Amplifiers have Loudness switch ? Do they compromise sound quality?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3454
Quality preamps usually eschew the loudness button. In fact I haven't seen a loudness button on anything in a while.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 40
Anyone heard these 3 to give an opinion on Opera Seconda, JBL LS 60 and Wharfedale Opus 2-III which one will be a better upgrade from Wharfedale 9.6 Diamond ?

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 167
quaint whats your budget in indian rupees

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 41

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 168
i assume that you mean 100,000. i havent heard any of the above but you should listen to the monitor audio rs6 in that range

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 169
could anyone else help out. something that you can get in the USA in the $1300 range

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 42
Now $1 is Rs 48 so, I can stretch upto $ 1500 to $1800 including tax.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11419
QD, are you coming to visit?

Dude, that just HAS to be worth way more gear than that in India man!

Not to be rude, but is there no deal to be had?!?

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 43
No plans to visit, those 3 models I mentioned above are priced Around Rs. 100,000 or $ 2000 here in India. I am looking for something around that range. Now more companies are coming to India.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 170
what i meant was what costs 2000$ in india would cost about 1300$ in america

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3493
QD, if Focal is around have a look at their Chorus 716V - should be around that price. Alternatively - and I'm not sure there's much representation where you are nor of the prices - have a look at Totem Sttafs.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 44
... But when I was buying Wharfedale 9.6, it was approximately $ 1200 in U S, but I paid only 36000. that was appro. $ 800 that was including bill and warranty.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 45
... But when I was buying Wharfedale 9.6, it was approximately $ 1200 in U S, but I paid only 36000. that was appro. $ 800 that was including bill and warranty.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 171
i did check prices on wharfedale on the net just now and they seem to be one of the exceptions to the rule. but normally what prices you get in america on the internet, you would pay 50% more in india due to the 30-35% customs and other factors

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 46
Yeah true, about the pricing. But another thing I want to ask Frank is my listening area is pretty large around 600 sq. ft. and both Focal and the Totem models you have mentioned are not very powerful and the bass response is less than 9.6, I am already using the loudness for the moderate level of volume I usually play. How do you compare them with 9.6 ?

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 172
i've got the monitor audio rs6 and it more than fills 700 sq ft in which i have it. and its a brilliant speaker. keep it as one of your options

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3511
I've not ever heard the 9.6 so can't help you there. I know that I have filled the 444sqft room we have easily with the 716Vs and also with much smaller speakers using more modest amplification than you are.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 47
I hope I would be able to audition Monitor Audio next week as I would be visiting Bangalore. Focal, I just found out there is someone dealing in Bombay. I am also really interested in Opera Seconda, as there was a raving review in the latest AV Max. probably being a Italian company no one seems to know much about the products.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3516
oops - duplicate post

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3518
Opera are very nice looking speakers with lovely cabinetry and good quality build. Their sound is their own - difficult to describe but fairly romantic. I have never tried Operas in one of my own systems so I can't be more help than that.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 48
Hey Guys ! anyone heard of Usher BE 718? I 've been traveling and I came across this in Bangalore. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 49
Its so sad many have not heard of this brand,if you consider buying a new pair of speakers of the highest value this one is surely worth listening, I have heard both Mordaunt Short Messo 6and 8 as well as their flagship Performance and Usher BE 718 and their floorstander CP 8571, on the same day, the small bookshelf Usher BE 718 was any day better than all those Floor standing Mordaunt Shorts. Usher is a Taiwanese company and most speakers are designed by Dr. D Appolito.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 181
quaint how did you find the speakers compared to similarly priced products (both bookshelves and floorstanders)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8861
I've listened to Usher speakers Quaint, just not the model you're fixated on.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 50
Well, just as I said, same day I listened to Mordaunt Short Performance, Messo 6 and 8. The only difference is Mordaunt Shorts were connected to Cambridge Audio Azur series and Usher were connected to Usher CD player and Leben CX 300 XS Integrated amplifier. Performance of the later setup was just amazing. Mordaunt Short Cambridge Audio setup was no comparison even to my setup. Mordaunt Short Performance 6 is a floor stander costing 150 % more than BE 718. The only thing I find difficult to swallow is, Made in Taiwan.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11536
Forget that, QD, good stuff can be made anywhere, the rest is politics.
If you dont want to support the country of origin, then do not.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 51
Nuck, you are right. Its nothing political,otherwise do you think being an Indian I would be buying British products? . Never heard any Taiwanese Hi Fi before...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11539
hehe, being a son of the commonwealth myself, i know just enough history to see the humour there bro.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 52
Which part of the Empire you are from?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11544
Canada, my friend.
I will ship you ice.

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 53
We see Canada as Land of Hope. And I have never seen snow in my life...but I have seen Bryston once !!!

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 54
F J !u should compare ur Monitor Audio with this. I believe u r in Hydrabad? Hey where is Frank ? Got sucked into Bristol Show?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11559
If the show is lucky, Frank is there.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3549
The Bristol show is in two weeks. Originally I wanted to go on the Friday to listen to the Naim For Bentley system but now the wife says she might like to come along which would have to be Sunday and the Bentley won't be there. I'd much rather go to the show with the wife.

Silver Member

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 183
quaint originally from hyd but now in south africa. could you compare the two with more detail - general characteristics of both speakers

Bronze Member

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 55
Well all the Mordaunt shorts had similar signature problem, everything was muddled, that includes Performance 6. I wonder whether it had a matching problem with the electronics. (Cambridge Audio )It never came anywhere near Diamond 9.6. Whereas Usher BE 718 had a detailed midrange and excellent Bass for a bookshelf. This Wednesday I am again going to Bangalore with more music so I can listen to it one more time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us