Mission M34 vs. Monitor Audio B4

Logan
Unregistered guest
hi! I eyeing this 2 speakers and I'm having a hard time deciding which is good for my AVReciever. By the way I'm using a NADT753. I really appreaciate for any help. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 123
I found the Monitor B4, auditioned at GoodGuys, with Monster Cable (which I don't like) and Denon equipment - to be grainy, "woofy" and the drivers can be easily overworked. If you listen to the B4's again - pop off the tweeter screen and listen to how improperly bright they become. You can do better for $500 + dollars.

Logan
Unregistered guest
thanks Chicobiker. So it means that I should go for Mission M34 instead? Sorry I forgot to tell that I'm just a newbie in this hobby.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
I for one beg to differ, the MA B4 are reasonably good speakers with just a tad too much of bass emphasis. However, bass is tight and punchy for its price category.

The latest Hi Fi Choice issue (May/June 2004) has a floorstander shoot out between the Monitor Audio's B4 with several others: Focal JM Lab/Mordaunt Short Avant 904/ KEF Q4/ Tannoy Fusion 4/ Mission M35(supposedly superior to the M34 you are asking here). Guess what? The sound aspect of B4=83%
edged out a little by Tannoy's Fusion 4=84%
The Mission M35 sound rating was only =68% or was it 75% (can't really remember but I only noted it was pretty bad for a speaker with so many drivers)
Overall score for the M35 was also disappointing as compared to MA B4(2nd) or Tannoy Fusion4(1st).
What more can you say about the M34s in this case?

Also, in HI-FI News Feb 2004(I base my ratings on my ear and balance it with the professional reviews to give a more objective opinion), MA B4 was pitted against 5 other more expensive floorstanders (Mirage Omni 250/Mission 782se/Opera Platea/Ruark Prelude II/Tannoy Sensys DC2) which are all 2-3 times the price of the B4(cheapest at 350pounds)....and it still performed reasonably well. Described as not as disciplined as it could be but midband is open, fluid and detailed, excellent dynamics and resolving power...a pleasure to listen to. NO scores were printed just comments on each speaker.

So, conclusion is get the speaker that sounds best to you although it is a no-brainer that the MA B4 are rated much more highly than the Mission M34, as even the M35 scroed lower than the B4. Go figure. Missions do make good speakers but just can't go with the competition these days.

TedCD
Unregistered guest
Logan,

MA B4s are great speakers. If you check out recent threads, you'll find that for whatever reason, all of ChicoBiker's Monitor Audio auditions seem to have gone off very poorly.
Again, MA B4s sound great - clean, detailed and dynamic...go check them out yourself!

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Agree. MA B4s are good for the price. The other similarly priced floorstander to consider if you want competition is Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 =350 pounds
Rated as leader of the pack in a shoot-out in 2002, beat up B&W 602.5 and KEF along with a few others. Has more laid back sound cf MA B4. To some, that could mean less dynamism or if you r the pure British type, more laid-back =more favourable :-)

Bin
Unregistered guest
How about Dynaudio Audience 52? How does it compare with the speakers mentioned above? Let me know your comments coz im scouting for good speakers and this speaker has caught my attention. Just need some info from you guys. Thanks!

Logan
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate all your suggestions.

Logan
Unregistered guest
OnimushaLord,
I'll try to audition also the AE Evo3. I'm curious with it because I've heard a lot of good feedbacks from the users of that speakers.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Logan,

Yep! U should give the AE Evo 3 a listen, they sounded just as reviews mentioned. Apart from owning some Monitor Audio/Klipsch/B&W, I happen to have the Aegis One(old version bought 4 years back) which I find extremely musical. There's almost no harshness to them at all. AEs might not be the most detailed brand out there but after hearing them, u just prefer their flow of musicality and smoothness to the overly detailed sound of many speakers. Don't get me wrong, they are detailed in their own right, just that they beat many others in terms of fluidity and musicality.
MAs and B&Ws are closely comparable to each other where high fidelity is concerned although MAs are apparently better in terms of value.
Klipsch was the "in" thing during my teens and early 20s. They have the "in ur face" sound which can sound too bright at times due to the horns. Certain models are really good though.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Bin,

If ur into Dynaudio, get the Dynaudio Audience 52se (se=special edition)
That version has more than the upgrades(wood veener instead of vinyl) to justify the small increment in price(624 from 557 pounds)
This garnered(se version) garnered an award winner in Nov 2003 What Hi Fi mag.
Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us