Monitor Audio S8 - speaker wire terminals?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 40
After a lot of deliberation over different speakers, I picked up a pair of S8's today. When I opened them up I was surprised to see a set of speaker terminals unlike any I have seen. They do not appear to accept banana plugs. Instead of a hole in the middle there is a red or black hard plastic or metallic cap, which does not appear removable. Tried screwing them out as far as they can go (the red/black cap is surrounded by a round gold piece which can be screwed outward, presumably to allow bare wire connections), but no luck. But I'm pretty sure the MA's in the stores were connected with bananas. I'd like to use my cables which already have bananas. Am i doing something wrong w/mine? Or do I have a different, non-banana-compliant set of terminals? (have mercy if this is a stupid question :-))

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 124
Your MA terminals sound like they are ready for SPADE (u-shape) cable connections or bare wire. You can get a spade-to-banana adaptor, but I have found that there is inevitably some audible signal degredation with secondary terminal adapters.

OnimushaLord
Unregistered guest
Yo bigfan,

The red/black plastic caps are easily removed using a flat tip screwdriver. Just try easing the flat tip into the slit between the caps and metal terminals. The red/black caps are just there for protection and of course to prove that your set is a brand new set. Apparently all MA speakers come with those removable caps.
You can and should use banana plugs with them.
Chicobiker, how can u not know that, u supposed to be MA expert right...just kidding :-)

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 434
The above poster is right about the caps but I would not say you "should" use banana plugs. I prefer pin ends myself but pins, bananas and bare wire all work just fine. I like the pins at the receiver best because they are easy to install and are the firmest connection and don't come loose. I am rewiring my whole system this Saturday and really dread it. Later.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 263
Elitefan,

Remember + to positive, - to negative. LOL!!!!
Have fun my friend!

P.S. Don't forget to dust.

Silver Member

Post Number: 435
Rick,
Not only do I have to dust I have to vacuum and polish the wood floor under my old rack and Make wire pulls of 2-30' and 2-50' runs. The hardest part will be once I get all my equipment on my new rack and hooked up trying to get it into place as the weight will be a couple hundred pounds or so. Once I'm done with this that's it for a long, long time.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 264
Elitefan,

What we won't do for fun. LOL! As far as your last sentence goes.......I've said that a few dozen times.............

Stay well!

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Rick,
I was referring to the audio side of my system only. Am very seriously thinking about a 30" Toshiba widescreen HDTV. Haven't been able to decide if I should do this now or wait. I really need to stop spending money on this stuff for a while but something new seems to pop up. It's only money I guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us