4,6,8 ohms? What does this mean

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 19
This is probably a stupid question but forgive my lack of knowledge. I am looking to purchase some speakers and a receiver. I am considering the Onkyo Sr701 and Pioneer Vsx 73tx as far as the receivers go. I have looked at what seems like a million different speakers and I noticed most of these are in the 8 ohm range. I found some speakers that I am almost convinced to buy, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 towers. These are 4 ohm speakers from what I can tell, will this cause a problem since I am looking at 8 ohm receivers? If not, are these good speakers. I have read some really positive reviews so far and the are in my $200-300 per speaker range. Please help!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Ohms is a measurement of resistance. It is a very simple way to explain what happens in a speaker and leaves many things left unsaid about a speaker. Impedance is a function of resistance, capacitance and inductance all combined and best describes what is happening with your speaker and is generally what people refer to when they say a speaker is 8 Ohms (impedance). The reciever is not an 8 Ohm reciever, that is not a measurement of a reciever. Recievers (amplifiers specifically) are compatible with a certain impedance range; 4-8 Ohms, 8-16 Ohms, etc. To say a speaker is 4 Ohms is to be too simple and tells you very little about what actually happens when you try to drive that speaker with an amplifier. There are web sites that will tell you more about how a speaker works if you are interested but, in general, if the reciever says it is not a ggod match for the speaker's impedance then it would not be a good idea to combine them. If you like the speakers you should find a shop that can help you pick a reciever that will drive them properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I assume then that if I purchase one of the receivers above, it might damage the 4 ohm speakers or vis versa. You mentioned that receivers have a range in ohms, where would I find the range? All that is said in receiver descriptions is one figure ie. 8 ohms

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 128
Normally - a speaker manufacturer lists the average "ohms" a speakers load would 'on-average' present to an amplifier. The actual ohm value varies (+ or -) at any one instance depending on the music and speakers resistance spectra. Vigne is right in mentioning that this is being oversimplified.
I really doubt that the Wharfedale's you are interested in, with their fairly lightweight magnets, modern driver material and modest crossovers will present more than a 8 ohm load most of the time.
Your Onkyo and/or Pioneer receivers should work just fine if they are at least 35 watts......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
They are both listed around 100 watts per channel. I am wanting to get a receiver that plays dvds and music about equal or slightly better on the dvd. I don't have a lot to spend on speakers is why I am looking at the Wharfedale 8.4's. I am also considering the Jbl E90's, Klipsch Sf3's, and the Athena Asf2. Any suggestions on which of these would be best suited to the Onkyo and Pioneer receivers I listed earlier?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
chico...I forgot to mention the Polk R50's in my list of speakers that I am considering

Silver Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 130
The receivers on your short list will work just fine with any of the speakers you've chosen. A word about the Wharfedale speakers. The Kevlar material they use on most of their drivers seems quite fine to me. I was auditioning the Evo line last summer, the 30 and 40 getting positive notes from me, BUT the Kevlar sound is tight, revealing, and clean. I gave the 8.4 a very brief listen. The cabinets on the 8.4 were sturdy and you'll like the Wharfedale nice soft-cloth dome tweeter.
I think you'll be just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Great! You have been a big help. The Wharfedale's seem to get good reviews around the net. I am wondering if you feel they are better than the Magnepan MMG W or perhaps the Rocket R550's?

Firestorms
Unregistered guest
check out the Athena AS-F2's again, they are very good speakers... and they just went down in price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us