NAD 762 good choice with Kef 2005 ?

Anonymous
Hi all,
I have the Kef 2005 package plus a sixth egg and am looking for a good AV receiver (and dvd player; where my choice would go to the new Pioneer 565 for price versus feature and quality reasons). Furthermore I have a pair of JM Lab Profil 7 speakers (1m high fairly easy to steer 150W RMS rated colums) which I would like to connect also to the receiver for audio listening and as far as I understood the 762 could steer them as B speakers.
So, is the NAD 762 the good sonic choice for a 6.1 with Kef eggs and would you ad a Pioneer 565 ?
Thanks for any feedback.
Philip - Belgium

G-Man
The NAD 762 is certainly more than adequate for your speakers and there certainly isn't a less expensive universal dvd player than the Pioneer 565. So if you don't want to spend much money and you want a universal DVD player (with DVD-Audio and SACD) you really have no alternative. The Yamaha 2300, the Denon 2900, and the Pioneer Elite 47ti are all much more expensive--around triple the price. I would rather have the Denon 2900 or the Pioneer Elite 47ti, but if you want an inexpensive universal player you have no other choice than the Pioneer 565.

I own the Pioneer Elite unit and use it on my upstairs surround system and also own the Denon 2900 for my downstairs system. The Pioneer Elite 47ti is particularly good if you have a Pioneer receiver with fire wire connection (not to say that it won't work well with other receivers). The Denon 2900 is built like a tank and weighs about 20 lbs, which is almost 4 times the weight of the Pioneer 565.

Anonymous
Thanks for the feedback G-man.
Would it be any good to fork out a bit more on the dvd and compensate that with the receiver ? The Yamaha 1400 release seems to be imminent and this one will probably (like its predecessor 1300) have the possibility for A + B speakers and 6.1 (probably even 7.1, thx, ...) at a price of around € 1.000.
Philip

G-Man
I think the list price for the new Yamaha RX-V1400 is supposed to be $799 in the US. And usually you can get at least 10% off at some online sites.

Is that a British pound sign you wrote? If so, you pay about double the price for the Yamaha. I wonder if this is because of VAT and special UK dealership mark-ups? Afterall, isn't the exchangve rate about 1.6 dollars per pound? What does an NAD 762 cost there?

I haven't heard those KEF speakers. I imagine that the KEF eggs are 8 ohm speakers and rather easy to drive. If they are easy to drive there is no reason that the Yamaha wouldn't be fine. Of course, given the choice, I would much rather have the NAD 762. Not that you will need the extra power envelope of the NAD, but it can make your psyche feel better:-)

Hawk
Anon:

The KEF 2005.2 package is really smooth and accurate, but surprisingly they need a lot of power (despite their small size). I love pairing them with the NAD receiver because NAD has plenty of power. I think it is an awesome combo!

Anonymous
Yep,
Hawk is right about power 'consumption', the upside is that they do not sound as small speakers either ; sadly enough I have the 2005.1 and not the new .2.
The sign was Euro (Belgium) ; for comparison reasons here the Yamaha 740 costs 700 € which is approx the price you guys (ladies) pay for a 1300/1400 (and wages here are far lower ...)
If anybody knows a way to get this kind of equipment cheaper (and with service !) in Belgium, let me know ...
Now I have to see whether my ego needs a heavier amp or not ;-)
Philip

John A.
I have one Kef egg HTS 2001 for the center and it is very good, clear, and easy to drive (8 ohm). It is definitely a "small" speaker, meaning its low-frequency -3 dB limit is 80 Hz. So if you have those all round then "all small" plus active sub is your only choice for speaker settings. In that case I do not think the power output of the T762 is really required, contrary to Hawk. Also, the egg sensitivity is 88 dB and the recommended amp power is 10-100 W, so you are right at the top with the T762. Nothing wrong with that. Bet it sounds great. But if price is a factor I think you won't hear a lot of difference with a T752, and even a T742 could work fine with those speakers.

Hawk
John A.

I agree that a 762 is not required for the KEF "eggs". A 752 would also bee a great combo. I first heard the "eggs" at a shop driven by an Onkyo TX-SR500 (supposedly 65 wpc) and was not impressed. Later, when I heard them at a different store driven by an NAD 742 (50 wpc x 5), they were an entirely different speaker, thanks to the bigger power supply on the NAD. Now I was impressed! These speakers are not only physically beautiful, they make very good music and stunning sound for HT, given their small size. Whether the 742 would work for Philip I think depends more upon how large his room is. But either way, he can save some serious money going with the 752 or 742, either of which will work with the KEFs.

Anonymous
Thanks Hawk & John,
but I am looking for 6.1 (I have 6 eggs and the "2000" active KEF subwoofer which puts out 250W RMS) and I doubt whether 742 and 752 are capable of delivering that (+ can they cope with an additional B-pair of speakers ?) ?

My living room is approx 5m x 9m but the surround set only "surrounds" the first half of the room (offcourse it still has to fill the whole volume).
I was shopping around a bit today and also came across the Sony ES 333 and the new Yamaha 1400 (of which I could only get the specs since it can not yet be delivered). The Sony did not sound bad though. Both are capable (it seems to me) to deliver 6.1 + an additional speaker pair (my JM Labs).

Hawk
Anon:

You are so right, only the 762 has six channels, plus a second set ("B" speakers) in the current NAD line. However, the new 753, to be out in November according to the NAD press release, will also be a six channel receiver plus a "B" speaker connections, if that matters.

Don't know your Sony as the european market designations are different from the North American market designations, but I know the Sony ES line. You may want to look at the chart on the following link, which shows the results of the product testing done by Sound & Vision magazine on receivers. I suspect your Sony is the same receiver as the Sony DA4ES. S&V did not even test this Sony for power as shown in the footnote, as Sony said the product was "not designed to deliver full power to all channels simultaneously." One must wonder what it was designed for?

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/index.html

Hawk
Whoops. Wrong link. Try this one:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Hollow/3401/ratevsac.htm

Anonymous
Great link Hawk,

the amplification in the European 333ES is the same as (power output wise) in the 1080/1070 which is rated in your table at 6x31Watts (!!!!) which sadly in confirmed with the extensive test I have here before me done by Heimkino (german mag) on the 333es which delivers 32W per channel ; so out with the 333es ... !
Your quote "not designed to deliver full power to all channels simultaneously." is great ; the first 2 channel surround receiver :-) .

Interesting news on the 753 ! (but a long wait)

Further shopping today got me up to good deals on Marantz 6300 and Denon 2803 especially the last one seems an OK piece of equipment.
Philip

Hawk
Philip:

Props for the link goes to G.DawG who introduced it to me a couple of months ago.

I love your charecterization of "the first 2 channel surround receiver"! That is a great observation!

753 is to be out in November, I believe.

John A.
I too miss speakers B on my NAD, but it has pre-amp out (like the LFE channel) for all channels, so I use my old stereo amp for B main speakers, with cables running into another room. It works fine but takes up some space.

bi0hazard
Anonymous: maybe a bit too late to share this, but what the heck... :-D

a fellow T752 owner used to have them "eggs" with his T752. the kef sounds good for a sub/sat package. he has since upgraded to single-driver full-range speakers for the fronts but has retained one of them eggs for the center channel.

he cant part with the eggs because his wife likes them so much and plan to use them in the future, possible in an additional setup or something like that. the wife also appreciates the enveloping soundstage, says she can listen to it whereever she is in the room.

David
Philip,

I might also come too late for you but I'm also living in Belgium and own the Kef eggs 2005.1!!

I can right away empirically confirm you that Hawk is 100% true when saying that the NAD T752 + Kef eggs is an awesome combo. I personally own a Marantz SR 7300 (and I'm very pleased with) but it happened that I tested a NAD T752 from a friend who had buzzing troubles with it. I took that opportunity to comfortably put the two receivers to the test.

I tell you it was really interesting. First of all, that is for sure, the NAD has bags of power and handles low frequencies a bit better than the Marantz. While both are delivering a "soft" sound, and I really mean it, the NAD is sweeter than the Marantz. The very good point I immediately noticed with the 752 is the stereo imaging which has a clear separation between the 2 chanels. On the other hand, I experienced something odd in comparison with the Marantz: the stereo imaging is different... Well in fact, you may find me silly, but to me it sounded more as if there were two other speakers behind me and yet I was definitely in stereo mode. Actually, I still can't explain this (could it be the relection from the other side wall, since the two receivers where located at two different places in the room?!)

Anyway, both had a very detailed sound. I would qualify the Nad as being neutral and delicate, while the Marantz as a slightly bit metallic, but not harsh at all.

Hence, disregarding the little hiss/buzzing troubles from the analog inputs, I found that the NAD is a great A/V receiver.

It doesn't mean I'm disappointed with the Marantz, not at all. I actually prefer its sound, but that's my personal taste. However, considering the extra power output the Nad can deliver, I truly believe I could have jumped on it if I hadn't already bought the Marantz.

One last thing for you Philip : if you come down to Luxembourg (where I work), you'll find both receivers as well as the others at much better prices than in Belgium. My advice would still be to look around first on the Net for the receiver you're heading for and then come to Luxembourg and bargain! Yes man, you can do so in all 'Hi-Fi International' Shops. They are very well known in Lux.

My own question I'd like to ask you is where the hell have you been able to get one additional egg? I'm looking for one in order to turn my 5.1 into a 6.1 set-up but was told that I had to buy it in the UK...

PS : If I were you would forget about the Yamaha, as its sound might be far too bright. I used to own a RXV 420 before the Marantz and it gaves me headaches.

David
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip,

I might also come too late for you but I'm also living in Belgium and own the Kef eggs 2005.1!!

I can right away empirically confirm you that Hawk is 100% true when saying that the NAD T752 + Kef eggs is an awesome combo. I personally own a Marantz SR 7300 (and I'm very pleased with) but it happened that I tested a NAD T752 from a friend who had buzzing troubles with it. I took that opportunity to comfortably put the two receivers to the test.

I tell you it was really interesting. First of all, that is for sure, the NAD has bags of power and handles low frequencies a bit better than the Marantz. While both are delivering a "soft" sound, and I really mean it, the NAD is sweeter than the Marantz. The very good point I immediately noticed with the 752 is the stereo imaging which has a clear separation between the 2 chanels. On the other hand, I experienced something odd in comparison with the Marantz: the stereo imaging is different... Well in fact, you may find me silly, but to me it sounded more as if there were two other speakers behind me and yet I was definitely in stereo mode. Actually, I still can't explain this (could it be the relection from the other side wall, since the two receivers where located at two different places in the room?!)

Anyway, both had a very detailed sound. I would qualify the Nad as being neutral and delicate, while the Marantz as a slightly bit metallic, but not harsh at all.

Hence, disregarding the little hiss/buzzing troubles from the analog inputs, I found that the NAD is a great A/V receiver.

It doesn't mean I'm disappointed with the Marantz, not at all. I actually prefer its sound, but that's my personal taste. However, considering the extra power output the Nad can deliver, I truly believe I could have jumped on it if I hadn't already bought the Marantz.

One last thing for you Philip : if you come down to Luxembourg (where I work), you'll find both receivers as well as the others at much better prices than in Belgium. My advice would still be to look around first on the Net for the receiver you're heading for and then come to Luxembourg and bargain! Yes man, you can do so in all 'Hi-Fi International' Shops. They are very well known in Lux.

My own question I'd like to ask you is where the hell have you been able to get one additional egg? I'm looking for one in order to turn my 5.1 into a 6.1 set-up but was told that I had to buy it in the UK...

PS : If I were you would forget about the Yamaha, as its sound might be far too bright. I used to own a RXV 420 before the Marantz and it gaves me headaches.

Marshall
I too am strongly considering the Kef 2005.2 and either the Nad T762 or the Marantz Sr 7400.
My dealer who seems very knowledgable and carries both Nad and Marantz is steering me to Marantz because of fan noise in T762. Hawk and others will either receiver properly drive the eggs for 5.1 and 6.1? I there a fan noise issue with the Nad? Does anyone have any feedback on the Marantz 7400? How would you compare the Nad T762 and the Marantz Sr 7400.

spag
marshall: the kef eggs (i have the older 2005 set and the T752) are an easy load and can be driven by most receivers. but the kef eggs are still sub/sat which have their limitations. why not move up to bigger speakers like i did, the nads can drive even some demanding speakers.

Paul T
Interesting Marshall, is the NAD T762 the only one of the three with a fan? I have the T752 and to tell you the truth if it has a fan I never heard it and I have driven it hard and long some days and never heard a fan.. never even thought about it to tell you the truth,, I'll have to look into it, maybe only the T762 has one... But I do agree it has tons of power and has wonderful sound, I do use analog inputs for my CD and TV and never heard a buzzing sound, again maybe this is a T762 issue but something tells me the ones with the problems you listed may be of the older firmware, I have the latest version 1.22. Either way you won't got wrong, Marantz makes a sweet receiver also.

Marshall
I have an old set of Kef Q 70s and a Q100 center chanel which are driven by Adcom separates GTP 500II and GFA 545II. The surround amp is very old technology and no longer works. While I would love to use these speakers my wife will win this battle. Since I will have to move these speakers to another room I will need a receiver of sufficient power to drive them She has been pushing for small speakers like Bose. The KEFs seem like the best compromise.

To Hawks Wife - While my wife agrees with you and is also threatening the big D if I spend any more time selecting a system it was at her insistance that I embarked on this speaker/receiver search So PLEASE do my wife a favor and let Hawk answer.
Happy Holidays and appreciate what you have. Its not every wife that gets to live in stereo heaven.

Marshall
Paul T

While I am far from knowledgeable I think the fan is in all NADs 763 and lower.
If I cannot find a discounted NAD T762 The T763 seems pricey at $1399 can anyone recommend an alternative for $1000 or less(Harmon Karden 7200??)and a place to buy it either online or in the NY city area.

Paul T
Marshall, check with Saturday Audio (www.saturdayaudio.com) they were trying to get more T762's in, they were selling them for $899, they sold out they're stock pretty quickly but they are trying to get more in...Maybe you can get on a list for when they do get more.. they are a authorized NAD dealer and get great deals from them as you can tell by their NAD special deals...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us