Denon DVD2900 & Yamaha RXV1400rds

Pip
Unregistered guest
Hello, I'm still in a dilemma about what equipment to buy to suit my needs. I have a multiude of CD's so would like an Amp/Receiver that produces outstanding 2-Channel reproduction - yet I have an ever increasing collection of SACD and DVD-A discs - is there a combination of receiver / dvd player that will do both jobs of recreating 2-channel and multi-channel sound with amazing clarity, tha will blow me away? I like the thought of the RXV1400 having 'Direct Stereo mode' (I presume the 750 has the exact same function). But, then I could buy a cheaper 650 and a Denon DVD1400 and then buy an extra CD player (like a NAD C521BEE) - would this better suit my needs? Forget about the video on the Denon DVD's - what is the sound difference between the 1400, 2200 and the 2900 (is the 2900 really that bit specially?).
My initial system would have been a Denon DVD2900 & Yamaha RXV1400rds, but would I get better results spending less, but still getting optimal sound?
Can anyone help?

Much appreciated, Phil.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 248
I dont think the Yam will be a good choice for music, at least not 2-channel. It works well with movies, but for music the sound is too harsh and brigth. I usually recommend Marantz and NAD for music use, but of cource you might like some other brand.

What speakers are you using?

Pip
Unregistered guest
So how about a NAD T763 - will this sit well with a Denon DVD2900? Remember I want excellent 2-Channel aswell as miltichannel that will blow me away! Thanks for your advice - it is much appreciated. As far as speakers goes - that will all depend on what receiver I will decide on, I'm starting from scratch!
Phil :o)

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 250
The T763 is great if you want the best sound quality (at the price level) but are ready to lose some features like autocalibration etc. You'll find many many nice comments about NAD in other threads.

I dont exactly remember the differences between 2900 and 2200, but I think they weren't too miraculous, stronger chassis and that kind of stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 219
Technically the Denon 2900 is supposed to have an upgraded power supply, upgraded DAC, and better build quality. The audible difference between the 2200 and 2900 isn't that great though, certainly not enough to justify the extra $400 IMHO. That's why I bought the 2200 and it's been great for SACD and DVD-A, but less than impressive with CD. If you want great CD performance, you should get a good dedicated CD player such as the NAD in addition to the Denon 2200 (that combo would set you back about as much as getting just the 2900). The Denon 2200 and 2900 are fully compatible with NAD receivers.

Anon
Unregistered guest
If you have already listened to YAM 1400, I don't think it has the same characteristics of YAM's previous model of brightness. It's just the perception of others who haven't heard the 1400/2400 model. If you really like 2 channel sources, then you go with integrated amps or tube amps. Cheers!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us