Mac stuff

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10790
Disregarding the price, whaddaya think of this set?
I don't find the specs yet for phono, gain, power protect etc.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7808
Are we link challenged...?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10791
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/99560-mcintosh_mx112_and_mc2505__fully_re stored_and_mint_updated/

odd.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10792
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/mac/MX112.html

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1891
Nuck- I was drooling over that about 2 weeks ago. Very nice. Jan should be around soon to fill you in on them.

ohhhhh Jannnn...where art thou Jan!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10793
Might be nice to drive the Ling's when I downsize, or as a third kit with the vpi table.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12991

"The ONLY modification made to both units is the addition of tiffany RCA jacks added in place of the old RCA jacks."

What's that mean? All the RCA's were replaced? There are seven pairs on the 112 and another two pair on the amp.

This is first generation solid state for Mac.

http://www.audioclassics.com/detail.php3?detail=MX112&nav=cat

I would say this is collectable. First/second generation Mac are not the prizes of the line. The audio portion of the pre amp is a simplified C26 - again not the cream of the McIntosh line. Power Guard did not become a fixture on Mac amplifier until the mid 1970's. The amplifier does have autoformers and is a MC2505 watt per channel stereo (the "2" after MC) amplifier.

They are, however, McIntosh.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mcintosh1.htm

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/McIntosh/MC2505.shtml

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10794
I didn't understand the tiffany reference, is this a unit for the breakfast club?

It has been offered for quite a while, obviously, so I wonder why...except the large price, of course

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12992

Tiffany is a high end connector. Gold plated, heavy duty, yada yada ... Good stuff.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10795
Is tiffany a typical Mac replacement part, JV, or just one of many options?

Thanks

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12993

One of many. However, on a product as old as these pieces the chassis has to be drilled out to enlarge the hole so the Tiffany connector can fit. No big deal unless you're looking for an original chassis - not as important as matching numbers on a '67 'Vette. The original nickel plated RCA's from that time period would, in most cases, have oxidized to the point of not making them worth cleaning (particularly unused jacks) and the Tiffany's would be similar to the type of connector Mac is now using. With the autoformers on this amp the speaker hookups are similar to today's barrier strip type connector though they will not be as heavy guage as current production and will not accept a heavy, heavy guage cable/spade lug. About 16AWG cable will be max.

The main "objection" would be the transistors are probably no longer available though Mac will have spec'd proper replacements if they are needed. And the passive parts are not audiophile approved.

They are, however, McIntosh and, for the most part, Mac is Mac. Mac guaranteed specs for the life of the unit so the two pieces will meet or exceed original specs. Mac used 1% resistors in this amp and 5% caps in critical locations.

This amp wouldn't sound too drastically different than my MA6200 integrated that I loaned MW though without the Power Guard it will clip. It has a lower input overload so very hot CD's might not make it all that happy. A little less clarity and a bit less dynamics but still traditional McIntosh sound. The first/second generation of solid state from anyone, however, just wasn't as easy to listen to as what is available now. But I'd take these units over most midpriced stuff available today. Like I said, these just aren't the prizes in the Mac catalog. You want a Cracker Jack - buy a MC275.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10796
Thanks, JV.
How about the tuner/pre? I have seen another in this line as well.
Is the phono likely to be good?

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1970
I'm still sitting on a friends MC240 & MX-110 that haven't been plugged in 30+ yrs. They're still mine for the taking (if you remember this from a few years back), but the situation just hasn't been right yet.

First I need to buy a house, I just don't have the space in my co-op.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12996

It's McIntosh. Read about the C26 pre amp and they are virtually identical in terms of circuitry. Mac tuners are always good if not the best at any one time.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us