Dumb question #1 - Difference between pre-out and zone out?

Username: Kdfrky

Post Number: 1
I'm new to hifi set-up and trying to do multi-room on the cheap. At this point I don't care about multi-source; just want to send my signal from main unit to other rooms. Currently have HK AVR85 which has multiroom out. Connected a wireless 2.4Ghz sender to the multiroom out and the wireless receiver to a receiver in another room. This works (I know wireless degrades the sound but at this point I don't want to run wires all over the house). My problem is that I would like to upgrade my HK to a newer receiver or amp setup. The rub is that I don't want an AV receiver, just a 2-channel stereo receiver or amp/preamp combo. Most of these however don't have multizone capability. I was thinking I could use a pre-out for the wireless sender in the same manner that I currently use the zone out. Tried it with my current setup and it didn't work too well. The problem was the volume. The multiroom feature allows the two systems to be volume independent whereas using the pre-out on my HK made my remote system dependent on the volume level of the HK.

I know I've probably horrified some of you with my crazy set-up but any thoughts on:

1) a resource guide for understanding pre-outs etc.

2) a good way to hook up an amp/receiver in another room to my main system if the main doesn't have zone-out capability?

3) a good 2-channel receiver or int. amp or amp/preamp ($1000 or less) that has zone-out capability?

Thanks for bearing with me on this one ; )

Post Number: 4
In case anyone is interested.

Well, I answered my own dumb question. I can achieve the same result by plugging the wireless transmitter into the tape-out.

If you want a cheap, easy way to multiroom (send same source signal to another amp) this works and doesn't require running wires. Sure you sacrifice some sound quality with the wireless but its great for say a porch, basement, even garage if you just want to hear what's on your main system somewhere else.

To recap, I hooked a wireless transmitter to the tape-out and hooked the wireless receiver to a source in on the amp in the other room (I use the AUX but any will do). Got the wireless system from X-10 for about $60. This set up still allows you to use the remote system for other sources as well (e.g. I have a CD player hooked up to it and use the tuner as well).

Post Number: 5
Not sure if anyone is following this thread or not but here is yet another update.

My last solution did not work. For some reason the line-out (tape-out) - wireless transmitter - wireless receiver - line-in (AUX) was overmodulated (if that's the right word). The signal was distorted even at very low volumes on the remote end. I looked for a way to attenuate the signal. Tried attenuating cables but they cut too much of the signal (-60dB). Found in-line volume controls online but they were about $60.00. I figured there was a cheaper way. I found one but its not very elegant. I run the tape-out to my tape deck, run the wireless transmitter out of the headphone jack on the tape deck and control the output volume with the record levels. The kicker is that I have to have the unit on record (blank tape on pause) to a get the signal out of the tape deck (maybe there's another way). I know this seems overly complicated but I'm in experimental mode. The next thing I'm going to try is to put a headphone line volume control ($5 at RadioShack) between the line out and the wireless transmitter and take the tape deck out of the loop. In case anyone is paying attention, I'll post an update. At minimum it may be worth a good laugh.

Unregistered guest
which x10 product allows u to do that along with the capability of repeating an ir signal from u'r remote? didja use a Xantech blaster with it? we r an integra by onkyo dealer here in corpus christi,tx and i never thought of it (using one of those 2.4 ghz a/v senders) for your 2 zone question, try the integra dtm5.2 (go to the integrahometheater.com website for info) thx, alan, 361 8577236

Post Number: 10
alan,

the x-10 system is called "entertainment anywhere" and is designed to send audio or AV from either your computer to stereo or your Cable/satellite to another TV (actually works pretty well). It comes with a remote but I believe its for the computer hookup (comes with software). I really haven't tried the remote operation. Since my last post, I purchased a RCA level attenuator (RCA connections with variable attenuator/volume knob). I have it set to about 1/2 and running out of my Tape-out. This works like a zone 2 without the multisource function. Since this works reasonably well, I'm not as dependent on finding a 2-channel system with zone 2. I appreciate the Integra suggestion. Are you generally satisfied with the sound? I currently have HK AVR85 and like the sound. Considering Rotel separates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us