Will an HK AVR230 drive the Athena AS-F2s?

Username: Nealm

Post Number: 1
Hi yall,
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 230 receiver and am looking at a pair of the Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2 Tower Speakers. I have heard that these speakers require a good amount of power. Will my receiver drive these speakers or would they be starved for more power? I know that the AVR is rated at 50 real watts and that the Athena's handle 250 watts but are these on the same scale? I ask this because HK seems to run a more honest rating system but its difficult to compare it with other components that may have had their ratings calculated differently.

HK FAN
Unregistered guest
I have the same speakers running off of a HK AVR7200, but I did hear those speakers with a HK AVR225, so there should be no problems with running those with that amp.

Unregistered guest
Neal, stop looking at specs. Makes ya nuts in the head. To be honest, you could blow up those Athena speakers with a clock radio played at full volume for a couple days non-stop, yet they would probably handle the big Edge amp at 1K watt no problem. Depends how loud you wanna listen, if that nasty loudness contour button is on, and where the bass is set on the amp. Bass frequencies from 200hz down take 85% of available power. Bottom line.....you like bass? LOUD? You'll need power. Simple as that with dynamic speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 36
I've got the Athenas and they are not inefficient but if you like big sound you'll need more power. I've got a NAD C370, 120wpc. Blows the window out!

Username: Voodoo

Post Number: 3
I heard the Athenas at Best Buy with the Yamaha they have driving everything. Terrible! Their little bookshelf speakers bass response destroyed the AS-F2's. If you've read ANY review of the AS-F2, you know its biggest strength is its bass handling capabilities. Stereophile recommended pairing this speaker with only serious equipment to get it really humming. Kinda ruins having the nice price of the Athenas when you have to spend a lot of money on a receiver to make it sound right.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 37
Take that last comment with a grain of salt. As with all speakers, listen to the Athenas and make the decision. Be aware that the Yamaha is not a good match with the Athenas. Too bright and kind of thin sounding. I had an 80wpc Yamaha receiver that I replaced with the NAD. Much better. Warmer & fuller sound. AND...The Athenas need to be broken in. They will become less bright in a few weeks. I find them very transparent, revealing and finely detailed.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 797
yeah, Rick. I think it's time to go multi-channel! Come with me to the darkside... it is your destiny!!!
:-)

Post Number: 4
I've never heard any receiver paired with the AS-F2's except a Yamaha (thanks Best Buy). It sounded absolutely miserable compared to the reviews I've read. The Yamaha they use is a big boy, too, so it wasn't about the wattage necessarily. I would call NAD expensive relative to the AS-F2's. Pretty much the absolute cheapest you can get a NAD for is $400, and that's for a refurb version of last year's low end model. What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't buy a Denon (which is what I've got, pushes my PSB's great) or an Onkyo or the like and expect it to push the AS-F2's properly. NAD is a serious piece of equipment, and it should be no surprise to anyone if they push the Athenas well.

Post Number: 5
I should add to that last post:

I wouldn't buy a H/K, Denon (which is what I've got, pushes my PSB's great) or an Onkyo or the like without listening to it and expect it to push the AS-F2's properly because they very well may not. NAD is a serious piece of equipment, and it should be no surprise to anyone if they push the Athenas well.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 38
The Athenas were $600 at Best Buy and the NAD C370 integrated amp was $400(new) from www.saturdayaudio.com on closeout. It pays to shop around for deals. The local high end audio stores are very expensive and have attitude to match their prices. I considered Paridigm and Klipsch Reference Series at twice the price ($1,200) of the Athenas but I could not justify the price. My previous setup was the 80wpc Yamaha($550 ten years ago) and Large Advent Speakers.

Post Number: 10
Sudhir,
Best Buy has the Yamaha V905 driving their speakers at my Best Buy. http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010R-V905
Is this really a "big boy"? Maybe your Best Buy has a different receiver pushing its speakers, but is it fair to base everything off of this Yamaha?
You are right in saying that its not right to buy an H/K or Denon receiever and expect it to push the asf2's properly, but isn't that true of any receiver/speaker combination? I've heard that the warmness of an H/K could compliment the Athenas. Maybe the Yamaha is too bright? I guess I'd probably just have to buy them and see how they sound in this case since I dont think Best Buy would let me try the pair out in store (they get mad at me when I turn the volume up on the speakers in my store).

Rick,
I'm not expecting "big" sound. I just want transparent sound in a small room with a really high ceiling. I want floorstanding because in about a year and half I will be moving, at which time I might consider getting an NAD (although this board is covered with problems people have been having with them lately). Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I want something that sounds good now but could sound better later when I have more resources and a different room to put them in.

I've read nothing but good things about the Athenas and to be honest I thought even with the Yamaha powering them in BB they sounded much better than the JBLs and Klipsch in the store.

Thank you all for your help

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 39
Hey Neal...
I think you'll be fine with your H/K. The Athenas like a warm sounding amp. I have not heard the H/K but I was told they are warm. I too thought that the Athenas sounded great in Best Buy and I must say that I went back and forth from the Klipsch Synergy display about 20 times. (Found that only the largest floorstander sounded good, but they had it bi-amp'd.) My Yamaha has a metallic bright sound. I didn't like it at all with the Athenas. I got very good advice from some of these guys on here. HAWK in particular is a great and knowledgeable guy. I'm using the Yamaha now with a pair of Polks which had sounded muddy with a 50wpc Kenwwod. They are a lot better with the Yamaha. Take a look at headings for "Athena AS-F2" in SPEAKERS, AMPS and INTEGRATED AMPS. You'll find some interesting conversations. Again, the guys on here can steer you in the right direction when you want to upgrade. Oh yes...trasparency and detail are what you'll get with the Athenas. So much so that you'll find that you will quickly hear how bad some recordings are! I have some vinyl albums from 70's and 80's that sound pretty bad by today's standards. I didn't notice with my old Advents.
Radio sounds compressed. But man, when you have a great recording you'll melt in your chair!
Be aware that the Athenas need to be broken in and it states that in the manufacturer manual. The S's in some voices sound hot. It diminishes in about a month. You can imagine how it was with the Yamaha...It accents that frequency too. The tone control didn't help 'cause it's for a higher frequency. My ears were sore! Happy Listening, Guy!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
guys i really appreciate your help. right now im actually a little scared that the f2's wont really be a great idea with my h/k so im thinking about doing something a little different for now. im still using my panasonic home theater in a box satellite speakers so even if i got the f2's id need a new center channel. what ill probably do for now is get the athena center channel and a pair of the b1 bookshelfs and then when i have more money get the f1's for the front channel. i watch more movies than i listen to music so i think this might work. when the time comes to decide between the f1's and the f2's im hoping to either know for sure or let a great sale price encourage my decision. what do you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
I'd get the ASF2 first as they they will be used for the main stage, center next, then bookshelves. I have used the ASF2 with a Kenwood 6070 and it has a lower power rating than the HK and they were driven without missing a beat. The Athenas are very efficient so you don't need a lot of power.
Use your HTIB satellites for now and the center channel until you get the ASC1.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i just went to best buy to listen to all of the athena line again. i made the mistake of asking the sales associate what receivers people usually pair with ths f2s. WHAT A MISTAKE! i talked to a guy who told me that athena was made by sony and compared my h/k receiver to the 140 dollar models that best buy had. he was like this cheap receiver is a 400 watt and yours is only 300 (which he couldnt even figure out the math for after i told him that my h/k was 50 watts and 6 channels). i almost started to explain to him more than best buy training had taught him but i didnt want to turn him into an actual salesman. i said that they sounded too bright with the yamaha and he looked at me funny and said "man thats crisp!" He did say that I could bring my receiver in to test it with the athenas, but i dont think id trust him anywhere near my receiver. after listening to the bookshelves and their lack of bass ive decided against getting them. my choice is now between the f1s and the f2s. f2s would be the clear winner if i knew if theyd sound alright with my receiver. i dont know what to do. i wouldnt mind taking my h/k into the store but im afraid that the lamo sales guys will scratch it. even if i like how it sounds with my h/k i wouldnt buy it at best buy and pay 200 more for it than i can get it for on the net. what should i do!???

Silver Member

Post Number: 821
take the Athena ASF-2 home with you and listen to them in your own environment. Best Buy is not the best place to listen to anything. If you don't like them, return it and get your money back, you have 30 days. Don't take your H/K into the store.
Got tell the rep that he is an idiot for saying that Athenas are made by Sony and then ask him to prove it and where he got that information.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 40
Neal...take a deep breath and relax and go slow. It'll all be there tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. The F1s are good but the the F2s have better fuller bass and sound. Ya know, I don't ask any questions at Best Buy. Research before you go and if they sell it you can buy it there. Best Buy will let you take the speakers back for a full refund within 30 days. Just take perfect care of them and the box. YOU COULD buy them there, listen to them for awhile, take them back even if you like them, then buy them online for less. I wouldn't do that but I'm sure people do. I have seen them on the net for $400pr. If you buy them on the net and you don't like them you're gonna have to pay to ship them back (if they'll take them) and they weigh more than 50+ pounds each. I chose to pay the price at Best Buy since they would service them if they malfunctioned. Not sure what would happen with net speakers. Did buy the NAD online based on price and the warranty is good at any NAD dealer.

Unregistered guest
Sudhir, why wouldn't you buy H/K? I have heard countless H/K products over the years and owned many. They are one of the real bargains in amplification, in my humble opinion. Yamaha cannot match up with H/K current wise. Speakers demand current from the amp...NOT wattage. I'm pretty sure the H/K will drive these speakers as well as most anything out there.

Username: Bak

Post Number: 4
I have the Athena F1, C1 combo with my old Kef Q50's in the rear. All matched with a Yamaha receiver.

Personally, I like the bright sound. To me it sounds transparent.

People make too much of bright or warm, this is subjective. I wouldn't place too much value on reviews made from sources whose experience is demoing the equipment in a Best Buy.

Buy something from a reputable store, take it home, break it in, and listen. If you don't like the sound take it back and try something else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us