Looking for recommendations for speakers, amp and surround sound processor

Username: Chris661

Maine

Post Number: 1
I am in the process of shopping around for a new AV equipment and would love the recommendations of experienced audiophiles. I have a room that's 25' x 15'. I currenly have a Hitachi 55" Plasma (only 1080i, will eventually upgrade), and a Denon DVD-1930CI (will eventually upgrade). I am looking to purchase a 5 speaker surround sound system, with sub-woofer, amplifier and surround sound processor that is capable of producing great video and audio for not only movies but also for listening to CD's. There are so many different manufacture's to choose from and it's a little overwhelming to try to select the best possible system for my budget. As far as the speakers are concerned I'm considering: 1. Paradigm's Signature Series, 2. PSB Synchrony Series, 3. B&W , 4. Revel, 5. Focal, 6. Sonus Faber, 7. Other recommendations? For the amplifier and pre-amp souround sound processor I am considering: 1. Anthem Statement series, P5 amp, D2 proseccor, 2. Anthem MCA 50 amp, AVM 50 processor, 3. Bryston 9B SST amp, SP 2 processor, 4. Krell, 5. Ayre, 6. Marantz, 7. Other recommendations? My maximum budget for the speakers, amp and processor are $20,000.00, although I'd love to be able to spend less for a high end system. Any advise or recommendations from experieced audiophiles would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1870
"amp and processor are $20,000.00,"

*Drools* Chris, with money to spend your selection becomes much bigger. My suggestion is to find a local HI FI store, maybe you already have? What do you access to as far as brands go? Perhaps the ones you listed are the brands? Have you heard any full systems? What have you liked so far? Out of the Brands you have mentioned I have experience with Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Anthem,Bryston,Marantz. The Bryston 9b and SP2 will eat up the majority of your budget, but would probably make me visit you with some beer and scotch for a test drive. Very sweet. The Anthem Statement stuff is also very classy, but has a totally different presentation, and only 1/4 the warranty. Have you listened to live music? What sort of presentation do you feel brings your happy place at a live concert?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1424
You have good taste Chris, and an enviable budget.

The audio world is your oyster.

Nick's advice is good advice. Do you have a local dealer you can build a rapport with? I've built up a enough of a relationship with my local dealer that they let me take stuff to take home and try it out.

Spend a lot of time listening to different kit, and do your research.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us