Primare I30, Electrocompaniet ECI-4, Simaudio I5 or MF A5?

Bronze Member
Username: Yes_cx

Post Number: 11
I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140 and am using it with an Accuphase E-212. While I like the tone and the micro dynamics of the combination, the E-212 nevertheless feels inadequate in power especailly at elevated volume, (90W@8om and only 110W@4om) and they sound a bit laid back to my taste. (the E-212 sounded better with smaller Focus 110 in my room, with a more lively sound) My room is about 25m^2 with thick carpet and high ceiling

So I am planning to upgrade my amp, on my list are (mostly second hand) :

Primare I30,
Electrocompaniet ECI-4,
Simaudio i5
Musical Fidility A5

Anyone had experience with those amps especially in combination with Dynaudios? I have very limited chance to audition those amps so your opinions are perticurlarly helpful. I would love to go to the next level in Accuphase (like E-407) but it is out of my budget at this moment.
By the way, I like the look of the first two, especially the ECI-4 :-)

my music preference:
1, classical
2, vocal
3, Jazz
4, Rock

Your input is greatly appreciated!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 57
I once owned a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140's. I have since upgraded to the Contour 1.4's. When I had the 140's I first used a Musical Fidelity a3.2 integrated, then upgraded to a MF a308. I am familiar with the Simaudio, currently owning both an I-5 and I-3se. The MF A5 is similar in power to the A308, a bit brighter to my ears when I listened to one at a dealer. The Sim I-5 would probably work with 140's if used in a smaller room. I would recommend looking closely at the I-3se. The power difference is noticeable, resulting in a far better grip and control of the Dyn's. The I-3se doesn't have the resolution of the I-5 but is a fine integrated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks Bill. I have ended up with the ECI-4 and am happy with it.

I am curious though, how do you find the S1.4 compared to the 140? I am interested in that upgrade too. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Byam

Post Number: 58
Xing,
The 140 is a great speaker. I liked it a lot. The S1.4 takes the 140 to another level; better resolution, imaging, and draws you into the music even more. As much as I liked the 140, I have never looked back after upgrading to the S1.4.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3238
Hmm, my experience is that the 1.4 has a much greater sense of scale and power than the 140.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hi Bill and Frank, I am glad to hear good word from you guys about the S1.4. I do read mixed review of them online and some even claim them not really better than the Focus line.

As my other components upgraded (ECI-4+Marantz SA11-S1 and balanced IC), I am getting indeed more performance. And now it seems I could be looking at a better speakers so S1.4 are one natural choice.

Bill your description of better resolution, imaging definetly make it more appealing to me, and Frank you mentioned much greater sense of scale, does that imply detail/resolution wise you don't hear much difference?

what hifi review on 1.4 also emphasised it's power and bass (part animal). This is a less factor I would consider for upgrade however, I wish it really offers a new level of "everything" as Bill mentioned.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3065
If you're looking for more detail, resolution, clarity, tighter bass, and more speed, you may want to consider changing your source. None of these things are Marantz's strengths, to my ears anyway.

Try a different CD player in your system and see what differences it makes, if that's what you're looking for.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 318
Yes, what Stu said! Several avenues to explore before buying more expensive amplification. Too late I know, but hope you're enjoying it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us