Speaker Question

Username: Midnight0045

Post Number: 1
Here is what i want to do

I have a speaker

i have a TV

none are very high end

I want the audio to exit my rca output and enter into the speaker input

I realize and have researched that there is no way to translate a signal of rca out to speaker in.. there is just no amplified signal

SO

What is the cheapest option i can go to have something between the two items?

A car audio amplifier? .. is there anything anyone knows of that doesn't involve me purchasing a 2.1 stereo receiver?

Thanks for any input!!

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 68
Sounds like a simple question but a simple answer is not to be found with all the variables. How powerful is the speaker(s) you currently have...let's start simple with their nominal power handling in RMS. Do you care how loud it is? If you go with a real cheap amplfier, you may be better off with sticking with the speakers built into your TV. You need to decide whether you want poor, good, very good or excellent sound, which is also a subjective question.
To answer simply, you need some sort of amplifier, which plugs into an AC outlet, to make it convenient and you need the amplifier to drive the speaker to a reasonable volume level so the wattage of the amplifier should match the speaker(s) power handling. If you're looking for a cheap solution, go into a used TV/radio shop and purchase a cheap AC powered amplifier with speaker output and RCA inputs. To get a better solution you would need to provide much more in detail, answering the questions I listed earlier.

Cheers.

Post Number: 2
excellent response george, thank you very much

the speaker is a nice center channel speaker with 2 woofers and a tweeter

The speaker sings with a good 50-75 watt rms signal,

i didn't want to use the tv speakers, becuase.. well i have this nice speaker.. i'm just an amplified signal away from good sound

The whole set up is in my bedroom and isn't in any sort of high social area or living room/basement .. so... excellent sound isn't necessary.. just a decent tone in contrast to my tinny tv speakers

So how do these small AC amps work? do they require a ground wire? are they like car audio amps? could you find me a quick example online?

Also when adjusting the volume of this ghetto-fabulous set up.. this would still be done through the tv volume? or the gain dial on the amp?

Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 71
Check and verify to me that your television has RCA audio outputs (white and red jacks). If it does then you can move on.
I'm not sure of your budget for an amplifier. You need to find an amplifier with an RCA jack input on the back and at least one set of speaker output jacks (red & black typically) either screw down binding posts or spring clips. The amplifier will need a volume control. I suggested AC power as car amplifier work on DC and you would need a power converter which adds cost and complexity.
You can find cheap receivers/amplifiers on eBay - search under Vintage Receivers.
Let me know how it goes.
You can go to WalMart, Radio Shack or your local used electronics store to purchase

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1386
Why not just pick up a cheap A/V receiver? They can be had from Best Buy or Future shop for next to nothing these days.

Post Number: 3
find me one under 50 and i'd be a believer!

i'm searching for something between 25 and 50 bucks that will power this one speaker.. let me know if you know that cheap of a receiver

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1389
Ok, that's a tall order.

How about used? I just sold a next to brand new Yamaha 5.1 receiver for around 149 bucks.

Better to buy an even reasonable facimsile of half-decent unit now, than a piece o' crap, only to upgrade in 2 months.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1823
On the local Kijiji I just saw a 5.1 Technics AVR go for 40 dollars. A few old Denons also go for around 60.

Just pick something up, old and used Matt. That should do the trick.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1390
There ya go.

What Nick said, lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1824
lol more like what David said first. But its true, s#!t can be had for dirt cheap when you are really looking for dirt cheap.lol. David knows what I am talking about.

Post Number: 4
i will pay 40 dollars for an amplified (AC) receiver.. let me know.. because most people don't know about this..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1826
what part of the woods are you from Matt?

Post Number: 5
haha my last post just ignore please.. that wasn't me

i found this.. http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-SA-929-Quartz-Synthesizer-AMFM-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQ itemZ320292484433QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ending in an hour, how reliable is this unit?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1391
Probably worth every dollar.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10736
All 10
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts