Paradigm compact monitors...mid 80's

Username: Slappyjones

Post Number: 3
I am considering buying a set of these listed locally for $175.They are 15.5" x 8.5 x 11.5.I guess they first came out in the mid 80's and were the predecessors to the reference line.I can't seem to find any info out on these at all.The little info I can find seems to be very positive.These speakers are in oak and are in perfect shape.I don't think I would go $175 but was wondering if anyone ever had these speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1798
RJ, email Paradigm. They will send you a small tech write up on then, and also send you all the documentation.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10719
They might be plain old Alphs'a.
Do they have a removeable grille?

Post Number: 4
Yup.No,on the back they say compact monitor.They are listed on audiogon's history as such but I can't find anyone who has listened to them.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7675
I've listened to them...hell there isn't a Paradigm ever made that I haven't listened to. Heck I've owned about half the models they've made. It's just been a long time since I heard them. They were pretty good as I remember but that's about all I can say. I have emailed Paradigm in the past for info...with mixed results. I wouldn't pay $175...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1807
RJ you can buy the new Atoms for only a few dollars more. And they would probably blow the socks off most of the older monitor line. Food for thought.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7680
That old Monitor line wasn't half bad Nick...I'm not sure which would come out on top.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1809
Yeah its a close one. I personally, after owning those Studio Monitors, and owning the new 7's, would take the 7's any day. Trust me, I am as surprised as you...lol. The new Atoms and 7's really impressed me. Although...I would have loved to of given those old Studio Monitors a chance with the full Bryston setup, but it didnt work out that way.

Another thing to think about RJ, is warranty and how long will the woofers and surrounds last in the 30 year old Paradigms. I would still probably own my old Paradigm Studio Monitors that were made in the early 90's if it wasn't for the one woofer surround coming apart due to age. Just something to think about.

Post Number: 5
Actually,I wasn't planning on going anywhere near $175 and I wasn't planning on listening to them either because I'm not real close to the seller so i was hoping to convince him to sell them much cheaper and ship them snail mail.Pics from the ad.

Upload

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7688
Call me nostalgic but I'd buy 'em...for cheap. Nick has good points though...but for cheap!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1811
Snap RJ those are the Mini Studio Monitors. The bookshelf versions of what I had. Those are what eventually became the Studio series. Yeah, like Art said, if you could get them for cheap, grab em up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us