Adcom or Anthem?

Bronze Member
Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 24
I am looking to get a new 2 channel power amp and I'm considering an Adcom GFA-5500 or an Anthem A2. Both are 200 w/ch. The specs for the A2 seem to be better, but I realize that doesn't always mean everything. Anyone have any experience/knowledge or advice on which way I should go?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1370
Not really familiar with Adcom stuff, but my dealer sells Anthem stuff and I've heard it on many occasions. Very good stuff. I've seen a lot of Adcom gear on ebay and Audiogon, I get the impression it is not in the same league as Anthem.

Just out of curiosity, why just these two amps?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10717
If comparable in price, I would take the Anthem right away.
Consideration for the preamp matters here, as well.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 584
Haven't heard the Anthem but have heard a few Adcom amps. Very good for price,well designed and constructed,certainly better than any receiver.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 26
David:

The reason for these two is as follows:

I am using Paradigm's Signature S2's V2 with a Velodyne DD15 sub. My preamp is Anthem's AVM-50 with ARC room correction system so I thought the Anthem might offer good synergy with my other gear.

Currently, I am using a Simaudio Titan 5 x 200 power amp for my fronts and surrounds which will remain. I also have an older GFA-5500 to power my rear channels. My eventual goal is to get a Simaudio W5 to power my mains and switch the Titan to the remaining channels. In the meantime, I'm looking for something to carry me until I get the W5.

Both the amps I'm looking at are 200 w/ch. The Adcom is a bit less expensive than the Anthem. I am fond of Paradigm/Anthem gear, but if the Adcom offers more bang for the buck, I would not hesitate to stick with Adcom.

I know neither of them is in the league of the Simaudio, but still want the best of the two because when I get the W5, I will be moving the Anthem or Adcom to my other system.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10724
I have liked the Anthem stuff for a while, but never owned any.
It is pretty hard to deny the system synergy with the preamp and speakers, bm.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2975
While I don't know the specific amp, Anthem in general is better than Adcom.

That being said, think long term. What type of system will the phased out amp be used in? Will it be an Anthem quality 2 channel critical listening system? Or will it be a background music system? If it'll be for background music or something similar, or will be in a second system with lesser ancillaries, it may not be worth the extra cost over the Adcom. If it'll be the start of a priority system, it makes it a lot more attractive. Also keep in mind that the Anthem should probably hold its value a little better than the Adcom should you decide to sell it afterward.

In the short term, the Anthem is the answer IMO. For the long term, it all depends on the application. Adcom gets hated on a little bit here. Its not bad gear at all IMO. But its no Anthem or Simaudio as far as I'm concerned.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 27
Stu:

It will be used in a system where I currently have B&W 804's, a Rotel pre and Rotel CDP.

Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 8
I know I`m late to the game right now, and you probably have already bought your amp. I have first hand knowledge of Adcom. Some of the best sounding and reliable amplifiers for the money. Now, to be fair, that was some time ago when I was working at Harvey Sound, on 45th street in Manhattan. Clean power, good dynamics. I got to hear Anthem and paradigm together at a show. I would put Anthem ahead a little. Howwever, bang for the buck, you have to go Adcom.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 70
I ended up getting a pair of Bel Canto REF1000 mono blocks. Quite a difference from my initial plan, but I got a taste of the Bel Canto amps and haven't looked back.

Bronze Member
Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 11
Bluemark 81,
I heard the Bel Canto amps at HE2007. Unbelievable, from the sound, clarity of instruments, and of course, their size. They can fit anywhere. Great amps, and the price is right too.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2335
Blue- I remember your pictures a while back of your Paradigm Signature/ Sim Audio setup. Way to go on the new amps. Your system is fantastic.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 71
Nick:

Thanks a bunch. I'm certainly enjoying it, but does it ever stop?Upload

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2337
lol nope it doesnt my friend. Look at the size of that Sim Audio power amp. There is a guy in Belleville that has I believe the same Sim amp as that. He has the big Martin Logan speakers on it with about 15 grand in room treatment and the logans actually set up proper. It sounds fantastic. How do you compare the Bel Canto amps to the Sim amps? Sound wise?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8802
Very nice setup...love those S2's.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 72
Nick:

The Bel Canto's are running my mains. The Sim is relegated to my center/surrounds. Nuff said. The Sim is fantastic. The REFs are fantastic(er)!

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 73
Thanks Art! The S2's are certainly a gem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us