New king rex is here

Bronze Member
Username: Drewquan

Post Number: 19
got it today listen to a lot of cd's from blues to jazz to rock and rap. i think it sounds very good. i can not complain. over all very impressed.i have some questions. i am hoping you guys can help me out. again i am a new guy. i dont know a lot about about what it takes to make music sound good, but i know what sounds good when i hear it. i tried listening thru my Ipod and two old cd players. one sony about 8 years old and one cheap samsung. why does music sound louder when played thru one cd player and not as loud coming out of the other. i know i need a new cd player but i want to better understanding on what is going on. also will bi amping two king re amps give me more volume? for the price of the king rex the sound quality is great.......so if you guys can help me out on cd players and what to look for when buying one. i would be greatful.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1362
Wow, that was fast, Andrew!

Bi-amping won't give you more volume, but it should sound "better".

Because the amps are integrateds and they can't be bridged, if you're biamping with them, you'll have to control the volume on the L and R channels. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (or maybe the volume pot can be bypassed like on the Trends?).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
what about with the king rex pre amp

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2965
A pre-amp doesn't have any power output. For all intents and purposes in this dicussion, its a source selector and volume control. It may sound better for different reasons, but it won't push more power.

Bi-amping will probably not give a higher volume output. It may help control your speakers better, especially if they're harder to drive. In order to double the volume, you'd need 10 times the power. Maybe the figures are wrong, but you get the idea. The easiest way to increase volume is more efficient speakers.

To bi-amp, you need bi-ampable speakers. Do your speakers have 2 sets of binding posts on each one?

The reason why one CD player sounds better than another is due to output voltage. Some put out more than others (please no jokes here).

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1435
I got a lot more power out of my Linn when I swapped the Golden Dragon 12AX7's in for the JAN Philips 12AU7's in my pre-amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
yes my speakers are bi ampable (that not a word is it?) i have polk rt800i , 90 db sensitivity. i just don't know if i hook up two amps to a pre amp do i just send the source single into the pre amp??? then split the left channel out to one amp and the right out to another amp ??????

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10700
From the preamp, you can 'Y' out to each amp. Each amp will drive each speaker as normal.
Except that you should remove the brass jumper betweeen posts, and replace with speaker wire...that is a first move, no matter what
And clean the posts.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
i already am using the bi wiring now. i am trying to decide on the volume. i like the sounds quality i am getting on most cds. some cds sound louder than others. not sure why, it must just be the cd recording quality itself. and maybe the speakers only 90 db sensitivity. i am at a crossroads. do i get another king rex with the psu and pre amp and bi amp. save up for speakers that have a higher sensitivty and get a better cd player. or return the amp and get more wattage. i think the king rex is fantastic but i wounder if i can do better for about the same dollar amout as 2 king rex amps with the psu's and the king rex pre amp. all of that comes in under a grand. could i do better for my money ??????????????

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1368
I should get rid of the jumpers on my Staffs, huh Nuck?

Does it really make a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 58
Hey Dave,

I would thing that just as the type of termination used on your cables makes an impact there would be a difference in sound due to the jumpers. If the jumpers are of lesser quality / conductivity / EM insulation than your speaker cable, there could be a difference. How big a differnce would depend on the quality of the cable vs. the quality of the jumpers. I have personally heard a difference depending on the termination on my cables and therefore, am currently running them naked to my monitors.

I'm not sure what quality of jumpers are on the Staffs, I know that KEF uses some high quality jumpers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1369
I'm sure that Totem would use good quality jumpers, however, I do have some left over 10 AWG Blue Jeans kicking around.

Now I know what to use it for.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2966
I've always had good results using speaker wire jumpers over the stamped brass jumpers. Depending on speaker and wire quality, the differences have ranged in amount. If the brass jumper sounds better than the speaker wire jumper, its time for a better speaker wires.

Andrew,

I can't say what will be better for $1k (I haven't heard the King Rex stuff), but there are a lot of very good integrateds for $1k, both new and used. As a frame of reference, I bought my Bryston B60 with 12 years of warantee, a remote, and phono stage for $1100. B60s used on Audiogon may go for as low as $775, but they don't have the features mine has.

There are some very good new integrateds for around or under $1k - Rega and Creek immediately come to mind.

Music Direct has a Demo Creek Classic 5350SE for $1195.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/80670

But... A high quality amp needs an equally high quality CD player and speakers to make it worth while. If you're not willing to upgrade the rest of the system, its not worth it IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1439
I ran that Creek with MA Silver 8i's which Nuck now has. It would be a good integrated for your price point but Stu's last paragraph in the previous post says it all.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1700
Andrew I will have a report for you on a nice little unit in a few days,the Yaqin VK2100 its a 85 watt class A/B with a tube preamp it should be a sweet little intergrated that does well over in Asia and Europe.You can buy it off of ebay from Canadian HiFi online its $279 + 50 for shipping,its beautifully built it looks a lot more expensive,if it beats out the Pop Pulse it will share time in my 2nd system with the Pop Pulse,stay tuned Andrew it might just what your looking for.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10706
I will keep an eye on your findings as well, TW.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1708
Please do Nuck I've got few different findings coming up,I have to give a little review on the Bada gear,all I can say is WOW! I've never had a system this good a full review will come after I let it burn in for a week or so,1 thing I can say its really in the big leagues,hail China!!!

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 279

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10716
Marc, MOFW. hehe

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 280
I wrote something, but it wasn't appropriate, so I took it back...hehehe.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
any news on the Yaqin VK2100
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us