Well I tried . . .

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1989
Well you vinyl purists, I've sold my turntable. Finding material, little usage, inconvenience of flipping discs, and not really finding a better listening experince than CD's in our system led me to list it on Ebay.

It also made way for a tube amp

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1427
Ouch! And all those Men At Work albums you have, such a shame.

Now, let's hear more about that tube amp M.R.!!!

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1990
Mike - maybe that was what the problem was - no matter what record I played I only heard Colin Hays.

The amp: okay here's some clues:

Famous British brand now manufactured in China

Power Output: 15W RMS into an 8 or 16 ohm loudspeaker load.

Tube complement: 2 x EL84/6BQ5 and 2 x 12AX7/ECC83

Rectifier: silicon rectifier with passive SAG circuit

Mains input: preset 100V or 120V or 230V or 240 V ~ 50 or 60 Hz depending on country of sale

All-tube design

Master volume
Treble and bass tone controls
8/16 ohm impedance switch

Oh and goes loud enough to rattle the walls!

Let's see who gets it right :-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7595
As much as I enjoy the sound of vinyl I have considered doing the same MR. I won't do it yet, think about it for awhile longer.

I have so much music on CD and enjoy it with my systems so much I'm not sure that having a table is necessary. I could use the money to improve my second system...tube amp sounds nice...well something to think about.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 51
Hey Art and M.R., since now I'm just getting back into vinyl and you guys are exiting, are you selling your collections or holding on as collectors pieces?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1992
I've only got a small collection George - and I'll mostly likely sell them - or give some away.

Art - yes I'm afraid it just wasn't getting the use it should and the money allowed something else. But not what it seems . . .

No guesses yet. I have a feeling only one person will get the answer.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 277
Guitar amp?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7596
I ain't out yet George...wait until the body gets cold...lol!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1429
M.R.

Wait, didn't you post something a while back about getting into a guitar or something?

You bought an electric guitar and amp?

That's not a guess btw as I am certain that is what you're up to!

What did you get?????

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 52
Good for you Art. I'm happy if you stay in it...like to see you spinning those titles.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1993
Marc's right and you too Mike.

It's a Vox AC15 - a remarkable powerhouse of an amp that sounds the way guitar amps should. It's to compliment this:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92CD.html

These are an amazing Gibson copy and just as good at a fraction of the price. The acoustic is an Ovation Balladeer, both of which I bought brand new on Ebay and both are brilliant instruments. Now, if only I could play them good . . .

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2963
I thought about getting rid of the turntable too. I just can't bring myself to doing it. Sound quality, obsessive cleaning, and everything else aside - there's still something special about playing a record. I enjoy everything associated with it. Listening to the LPs is only one aspect. There's old vinyl hunting, and the new limited or special releases. It makes music more than just music to me. I know that sounds kind of stupid, but don't know how else to put it. As hard as it would be to let go of the turntable, it would be so much harder to let go of my LPs.

In all honesty, my CD player will be phased out well before my turntable will. My next digital player will probably be a music server of some sort.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10688
I think everybody's will be, Stu, mine too.

MR, forget all about that machoshit and learn how to play guitar! ...JCM

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 278
I've heard a Vox amp, and it's very good.

Congrats man.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1994
Thanks Marc,

I think it's the only amp I'll ever need and it should last the distance.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1430
I think about my Linn like some folks think about their rifles.

M.R. I have a Crate Palamino Tube Amp and a Line 6 SS. I use a Mexican Fender Tele and a Gibson Lucille. A couple of my guitars are out on loan.

And I cannot play a single song, sad but true. I need to get back into it like you and a couple of others are.

I used to be able to do some good riffs and scales, and had started to write a blues instrumental for guitar...

We that sums up my 6 month guitar career.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7597
I've owned many guitars and amps my friends. Gave it up when I was working at Hewlett Packard. I was doing too much damage to my wrists at work and couldn't add the guitar to it. I was a single parent and had to work so the guitar had to go. That was 10 yrs ago...wasn't very good anyway. Sure would love to try again...

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 1995
Funny Mike, I was looking at both a Crate and Line 6 on Ebay - used Vox's seemed scarce and I almost bought an AC30 on-line - glad I didn't, they're monsters - the 15wt is heavy and powerful enough.

Guys, yeah I just used to muck around with the odd guitar years ago but was never serious enough - now I'm starting from scratch with a course: learning music and playing and practicing the basics.

But I allow the fun time after my lessons to try and stretch out. And that really is the fun time.

Do it Art - I just bit the bullet and decided that it was one (of many) things in life I wanted to accomplish - just for my own enjoyment mind you. I may be too old once I do, but then there's guys like B.B. who can still throw out a few licks.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1431
I second that Art. Even if you don't have any of your gear still you know how to get it quick and easy, especially with all the experience you have with the kits you have gone through recently.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10689
I had a few placed around the listening room, just for the look, but couldn't play a lick.
Looked good with the drum kit.

And will again at some point...

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 237
I play but I agree with Nuck, they make great decorations too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us