I am new and have a Trends amp question

Username: Drewquan

Post Number: 1
hello everyone, i am new to the hi-fi audio area. my question is this: what could i expect sound quality wise,if i use the following.

polk rt800i speakers and a Trend t class amp. listening with ipod using lossless music files? i have read the trends amp is very good for the $$$ and can power larger speakers.

what other similar cost amp be use for some quality sounds.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1637
The Pop Pulse T70,it has way more power and deeper bass its rated at 35watts in 8ohms and 70watts in 4 ohms and it has remote,its also a T-amp with a big warm sound but stil very fast and detailed.

Post Number: 2
do you own on of these or heard one? where is a good dealer?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1641
I own the Pop Pulse,its all I've been running lately,until my big rig arrives at $225 its unbeatable for sound quality.Where did you get your Trends from and how long have you had it?

Post Number: 3
i do not own any thing now. i am in the market now. i am looking for a good sounding system for a small room. i am new to the hi fi world. i have read alot of very good things about the trend amp. i would like to start my system around the speakers that i currently own(polk rt800i) and improve a little over time. i am now starting to learn about all things hi fi. you are youing the trends amp? how much better or worse are you speakers compared to mine, as far as the sensitivity?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1643
I've got speakers ranging from 86db to 91db and the T70 powers all of them with ease,with the Trends although its a great amp,I would'nt pair it with any speakers under 89db,but the Pop Pulse sails thru all of my speakers with ease.

Post Number: 4
i am looking for a dealer for the pop now. having no luck finding any in stock. do you use a dac? because my source is going to be an ipod using lossless files how much could/would a dac benifit the sound quality? have us used any other T class amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1644
The only place I know is Audiomagus which they sell online and have a 30 day trial,they sell the Trends,King Rex,and they can get any T-amp you want and they have a big selection of dacs to.Is T-amps the only amps your looking at?because it seems that you may need more conections than most T-amps provide.

Post Number: 5
thanks for helping me out. i am looking for a small one source system. i dont know of the other connections you are talking about. what else would i need? ipod or cd player as the source. i would like to use just the ipod because i already have a 80 gig with lossless files just wondering about the dac. will a dac and an ipod hook up to a t amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1645
Ok,I gotcha you'll be plenty fine then.A dac should hook up just fine,check the Audiomgus site,you can get a lot of info there,they also have forum to.

Post Number: 6
i just noticed your in dayton ohio. i am in brookpark ohio. just a short distance from cleveland. do you know of any local stores that carry hi end stuff?

Post Number: 7
last question and i will stop bugging you. do use use regular wall power, or do you use some type of power supply/conditioner?

thanks again for your help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1646
There's plenty of hiend shops arond here years ago Dayton used to be 1 of the audio mecca's in the midwest.What kind of gear are you looking for? I use the wall,I've found power conditioners to limit dynamics to much.and no problem your not bugging me,by all means ask any question you need to.

Post Number: 8
i am new to the audiophile gear. i have always wanted hi end gear. i just couldn't justify it. so i forgot about it. until i heard some $30,000 Martin Logan speakers along with 2 Classe amps. i was sucked back into audiophile gear. how ever i do have a budget. i currently have an older onkyo a/v receiver and my polk rt800i speakers. i have a broken cd player and sold all of my surround sound speakers. i use a Yamaha ysp 3000 for my movies. (it's sounds ok for me) but i have never had a truly hi end music system. i really only care about 2 channels. i am trying to put together something that will sound very good for a good price. so the price and reviews of T class amps got me interested. i like the ease of using the ipod (lossless file) now i would like to try these polk speakers with a good amp. i wonder about dac's and power conditioners. also how could i give eack speaker its own amp. such as the pop pulse you have recommended.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1650
Audiomagus site would give you all the info you need.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1325
I've bought from Audiomagus before - highly recommended. I notice they don't have the PopPulse in stock right now. You may want to give Obad Imports a look, their website says the PopPulse is in stock:

http://www.obadimports.citymax.com/catalog/item/4377302/5833179.htm

I've run the Trends amp with several different types of speakers, and while the sound quality is really, really good, it never really went loud enough for my liking.

The times where I did turn it up it got quite distorted.

Post Number: 9
i just purchased the king rex t20. should be here in a few days

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1332
Nice! Let us know how you like it Andrew.

Post Number: 10
i will. i think i am going to be a regular on this forum. a lot of helpful info and nice people. does any one know where to get a good line out to rca cable for an ipod.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1333
It's one of the better forums...

Oz carries lots of good cables, including this ipod/RCA:

http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sfid=78796 &c=148915&i=231619854

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
thanks for the help. i have a monster cable that is basically the same thing. but i have heard about the line out cables to rca. if you dont have an ipod than you might not know what i am talking about. this is what it looks like

iMod to RCA Vampire Wired 3 feet

this price is alittle crazy for me

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1334
Yeah, I guess I have no idea.

I don't own an ipod, nor will I ;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
the ipod sounds very good using lossless files. if you ever get the chance give one a try

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1336
Don't get me wrong, Andrew, it's not that I don't think the ipod can't sound good. It's just that I don't like Apple.

To each their own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
i can understand that. do you own any kind of mp3 player? could you give me any help on bi amping speakers? i am doing alot of searching on this forum and the net in general. some of the stuff can be a little confusing to a new guy.

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1782
I think I can say I hate all the 'i' products. I-Pod, I-Mac, I-Book, I-CRAP. F#%#ing Apple man.

Andrew, congrats on the purchase man. Nice little amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
wow, a lot of hate for apple. and i though people hated windows and bill gates.

i hope the king rex is all it is cracked up to be

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1337
Yeah, a lot of hate for Apple. It's proprietary, over-hyped fluff.

Yes, I do own an mp3 player. It's a Sandisk (the same guys who make all the flash memory and SD cards). It's awesome, and 1/3 of the price of an ipod.

Bronze Member
Username: Mnr3

Post Number: 51
since we are already off-topic:
not everyone hates apple.
I'm typing this on an 8 year old ibook that is a portable music server-command center (with firewire port for external lossless hard drive) in addition to being my everyday workhorse for prepping (I teach), writing (publish or perish), email and surfing. it cost all of about $1199 in 2000. how many others can say the same of their 8 year old wintel?
so, there's some hype and fluff, but it is well-engineered gear with--when you are familiar with it--a very intuitive, efficient & ergonomic interface. there's a reason ipod's made apple a lot of money, and ibooks and imacs before. this isn't a rant or attack and is totally off thread, but when I hear the word "hate" regarding anything, esp. sth. I like, I cringe.
peace
marvin

Gold Member

Post Number: 1678
Trust me if you heard the I-pod thru a Peachtree Audio Decco intergrated amp,you guys would'nt believe the sound qualtiy.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1342
I've seen those for sale on Music Direct...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
tawuan do you use a dac?? if so what kind are you using which ones have you tried?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1346
The T20 has a built-in DAC. It's probably not too shabby.

Andrew, I've used the SuperPro 707 with really good results.

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/dac707usb.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
the t20u has the dac not the t20.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1353
Ahhh, correct. What are you going to be using for a source Andrew?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2964
Andrew -

You can't use a DAC with an iPod, if that's what you're trying to do. They don't have a digital output, well at least not in this sense.

You'd need the Wadia iTransport to get a digital signal, then feed a DAC. The iTransport is about $400 or so.

Instead of a headphone line out to RCAs, have you looked in to Ipod docks? They bypass the internal amp, which is the downfall of the iPod. They'll also give you remote control and a few other options. I haven't used one, but a few well respected ones are Marantz, NAD, and Arcam. I'm pretty sure they can be used with any system, not just their matching brand. Confirm that before you buy though.

The Arcam looks the best to me. A huge feature it has is being able to turn the charger off, therefore saving the battery. Its not good to constantly charge the battery.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i am planning to use an ipod using lossless files or just a cd player and may be a dac. i am thinking that if i like the king rex i am going get a king rex pre amp and another t20 amp bi amp my speakers then work towards the power supplies and then a new cd plaer. got any advice on good cd players.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1355
I was under the impression Andrew would be using a PC (or Mac) to connect to the Rex, hence the need for a DAC. Never mind, my bad.

Yup, it's bad to constantly be recharging your battery. If you recharge it before the charge is completely changed you'll shorten the battery life and/or reduce the charge it can hold.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1356
Good CD players?

CA 640C. I love mine.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1921
T, have you heard the Glow Amp One? Any ideas on how it might compare to the Pop Pulse T70i (other than being more expensive)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1686
No,I havent Christopher,the Glow is only 5 watts its a SET,good for single driver and very efficient speakers.If I had a pair of Omega's or good horn design I would'nt hessitate to get the Glow its a well respected amp,and very underpriced.I thought about a pair of Omega's and a Glow a few months ago,but I started saving for a big amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1922
I've got a pair of Tekton (Fostex FE127E) 4.5" SDFR that are 91db and sound real nice with my Trends, but the Glow Amp One, and now the Pop Pulse T70i, have me curious.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1357
I read a couple of not very favourable reviews of the Glow Amp. Even on in the AudioMagus forums there was mention somewhere that there were "issues" with them.

"We agree -- the DAC is not the GLOW Amp One's strong suit. We've mentioned it to the guys at GLOW and I'm sure they'll look for a solution."

In the same thread there is mention that it is shy on bass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1923
That's the problem with Internet-Direct products, you have to trust someone else's "unbiased" opinions.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1358
The safest bet I guess when dealing with interet-direct is ensure they have a generous return policy.

The Glow amp does look really, really cool, though, and AudioMagus is a reputable company - I've ordered from them before.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1432
The Glow Amp return policy is 30 days what I gathered from a friend's experience. I did not test it in the best environment for it, but I did surmise that it could work better if you messed around with changing out tubes. YMMV. The glow thing was more a nuisance than a feature IMO.

I wouldn't do it.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1366
$500 for 5 watts seems like a lot too.

But what do I know? I'm a solid state kinda guy.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12938

You should know why you are buying the Glow before you order one. In other words, what's your attraction to this amplifier? Because it got a good review? Because it's single ended? Because it's cheap? Or just because it glows?

I ordered the Glow amp a few months back after the marketing guy for Glow saturated the forums with his ads. According to him I am the only person who has sent this amp back for a return of money.

OK

But surely I can't be the only person who ever heard the faults I observed with the amplifier.

If you are looking for a SET, this is not your amplifier. First of all, it is not a SET. The EL84's used as outputs are small pentodes and they are run as pentodes - not as triodes. This is not a single ended triode amplifier. Big difference IMO. There are some decent sounding single ended amplifiers that do not use triodes but this isn't one of them from what I heard.

If you are wanting the "magic" of single ended triode operation, this isn't going to get you there, I think you would be better off with a good UltraLinear amplifier if "triode on the cheap" sound is what you want.

There's no information included or supplied by the manufacturer's web page to guide either the novice or the experienced tube user. No mention is made of the output impedance of the various taps - 4 and 8 Ohms labeled - which is a small matter to some but something I consider very important since any tube amp will undoubtedly interact with the speaker load and the frequency response will vary from flat response according to the amplifier's output impedance working against the impedance load of the speaker. This approaches the Bose attitude of "you don't need to ask that sort of question" territory in my book.

The amp is rated at 5 watts with no real indication of what the amplifier can actually produce into a load with a minimum THD spec. I would say this amp is on the very puny side when compared to any other amplifier I've had in the house. The two T-amps I own are rated at one more watt (with a full 1% T.H.D.) than the Glow (with no specified T.H.D.) and they provided substantially higher levels into the same speakers. The Glow is a wuss! Be prepared to buy 100dB speakers if you consider the Glow 'cause I don't listen that loud and my current speakers are running at about 93-94dB @ 1watt input.

The Glow did a few things very well, but not enough things and not well enough for me to even consider keeping it. It has a nice amount of subtely with vocals giving an interesting nuance to familiar material but it lacked that ever popular PRaT which I have to have before anything stays in this house. In the area of integration of players and just plain playing the tune, the Glow amp is one of the worst I've ever heard. The T-amps stomped it in this area - even the stock $39 plastic model.

And the glow feature is just stupid!

The company was very good about the return and I received a cash refund within a week's time. So they are deserving of praise there and they are still offering the 30 day return policy if you still want to try the Glow amp. I wouldn't waste my time if I were you but I'm not you and you might not be bothered by the same things I found lacking in the amp. But I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere if you want a SET, if you want a cheap amp and if you want the system to play the music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
As usual, Jan cuts to the quick.

I'm fairly certain that what got me curious about the Glow Amp was the same thing that motivated you to place your order, namely all of the those GLOWing reviews (pun intended).

I have never owned a tube amp, SET or otherwise, so am curious, but yes, it is a bit pricey for 5W, but all watts are not created equal, and if Jan says the these are crappy watts, then I suspect they're crappy watts.

Anyone else hear the Pop Pulse T70i?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1367
Thanks for the info Jan.

So it sounds like the Glow amp is a dud.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12939

For me, yes. But I learned long ago I don't listen the way most others listen and the amp might work for you. None the less I still find the "glow" crap stupid and distracting. You have 30 days to decide and they will refund your cash, so you'll only be out the shipping cost back and forth.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us