What has everyone bought since I've been gone,and what direction is everyone going?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1634
All the great guys on here,its been a while since I've been here,I would like to know where everyone has taken their system,I would like to know how happy you are and how close do you think you are to audio bliss,and along the way I will dscuss my many changes,and what direction im going now and likewise for all of you.This a upgrade thread which should be very helpful to new posters,it can be a ongoing journey for all of us so to speak new product updates will be very useful,alright audioheads fire away!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1414
Welcome back TW.

My kit has been stable for the most part (see profile). Working on the room, built bass traps, etc. and some Peter Belt options. Just started tube rolling in my Pre-amp. Changed JAN Philips to Golden Dragon 12AX7's in the phono gain.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1635
Thank you Micheal,impressive setup by the way how do like the Gallo 3.1's? I have a lot of experiance with the Rogue gear great stuff,and that Rega Saturn is a killa excellent CDP.I have yet to tube roll my Melody Sp-3 which makes a huge difference with this amp,I may give it to my dad,since I have my new goodies coming in I wont have any use for it or room for it.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7585
My stuff is in the profile...I do keep it well updated. Love the main system now. Would like to change out the cartridge on the table to either a Denon DL-160 or Shelter 201.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1639
Art,you have done quite a lot of updating latley,dont you have a Saturn CDP to?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7588
No...if I went into debt for one I'd have to update everything else and then I'd be deeper in debt. I'll wait a couple of years and see what's out there. Might pick up a tube amp for my R5's if I happen into one for cheap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1648
My Sp-3 may be for sale should work a treat with the R5's its not to mushy actually its quite fast huge bass and good dynamics of course tube rolling would be when it comes into its own its 1 of the best tubeamps I've heard in the bass,it has very good timing to it aint got a tone of awards for nothng usually I take those with a grain of salt but the SP3 is totally deserving of its praise.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1649
It won HiFi+ product of the year award 1 of the few mags I take seriously,in Europe they have a tough time keeping them in stock,I was shocked when I read that,never read anything like that in a audio mag before.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7589
Sounds like a nice amp.

I'll probably be looking for something made somewhere other than China though. Won't be for awhile anaway. The little Creek 4330 is very good with the R5's for now.

What speakers are you running these days?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1651
Art dont sleep on China,the Melody is actually designed in Austrailia.I will list them all: I still have the Epos M12.2,Infinity Beta 20,still have the Wharfdale Diamond 8.1,Acculine A3R,Eltax Monitor III,Magnapan SMGc,av123(Onix) XL-S,Mini Strata,Swan Diva 6.2 which are new im gonna review them,not decided If im gonna keep them are not.And finnaly the new Infinity Classia C336 a mini Revel/Prelude and the best speaker I,ve heard for under $5k.Not suprising considering its Harman International they have the technology and the money to make anything great at any pricepoint they choose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1652
Im running with the Pop Pulse T70 T-amp along with the SP-3,with the Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3,still a good little player,the Musical Fidelity amp is for sale,and the tube buffer.Also getting rid of the Mini Strata,XL-S,Infinty Beta 20,Eltax Montitor III,still up in the air about the 12.2's since they were the last good 12's,thinking about getting rid of the Maggies to,im totally revamping actually its morphing into another system for another room.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1416
I love the Gallo's. Cohesive, wide soundstage dispresion, deep fast bass (I use the Gallo Sub-Amp for the 2nd coil). It plays blues and jazz fabulously and is no slouch for rock, IMO.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7592
I'm not altogether anti Chinese products but if I can avoid them I do. I know that they are doing some great things over there.

Think I'd keep those 12.2's...as you said the last good 12's, and good they are.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1653
My new setup will be here this week,I have a Yaquin VK 2100 tube hybrid intergrated amp coming for my 2nd system it will share duties with the Pop Pulse and the SP-3 for as long as I keep the Sp-3,paird up with the X-Ray V3 with all Kimber cables,not sure which speakers I will use probably a few different pairs.
For my main Rig also coming this week is the Bada Purer 3.8SE its a tube Hybrid intergratedamp with a twist it runs in true class A with 80 watts and its switchable to 130 watts in class A/B.Its a tank it weighs about 90 lbs,a stellar pieace a real killer in Asia,also a Bada HD-23 top loading tube CDP thats switchable between solidstate and tube outputs.The HD22 was reviewed in Affordable Audio it did very well,lots of people over on audiocircle are extremely shocked by the performance of this player which there is a improved SE version out now,but HD-23 is the top model.
To top it all off its all cabled up in Xindak cables which have been reviewed favorable by Stereotimes,and to top it all off both Bada's have the capabilities to be run balanced which im gonna take full advantage of,right into the Classia C336's.This gear if it was built anywhere else the amp alone would cost 10K,im exstatic to say the least.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2960
I've gone from NAD 320BEE, NAD 533 CDP, and PSB Image T55 to Bryston B60, Rega Apollo, and Audio Physic Yara Evolution Bookshelf. Still running the 1Xpression, but added a Dynavector 10x5.

Night and day difference. Then again, the B60 alone retails for a bit more than the entire old system. Gotta love Audiogon.

Its about as good as it'll ever be IMO. It'll cost far more money than I have to improve.

Also, have you seen the system pics thread?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/377431.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1654
Yeah im leaning towards keeping the 12.2's with the Musical Fidelity X-150 out of the tow,the other amps will have much better synergy,im happy with X-Ray V3 as a CDP its fine player even now wtih its age.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1655
Micheal do you have the subamp that goes to the Gallo's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1656
Nice setup Stu,good to see you get away from the cheaper Nad gear,although it is not offensive sounding it is kinda bland and soulless sounding,I sold my Nad gear to my uncle,dont miss it at all,but its good gear for the beginning audiophile its meant to grow out of.The Audio Physcic Yara standmounter is great little speaker,amzaing imaging.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1417
Yes I do Tawaun. The Gallo S/A (sub-amp) seems to act like a super-tweeter but at the bass end. In addition to the bass extension it adds weight and proportion to the lower bass above its advertised range.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1769
I went from NAD CDP,NAD Power Amp,NAD AVR, Paradigm Studio Monitors to Bryston 3b,Bryston .5b,Rega Apollo,Monitor Audio Silver RS6's. Added a new NAD AVR and new Paradigm Monitor 7's just to complete the theater. Like Stu, I am as happy as I can be with my two channel system unless I spend much much more. Got to love Canuck Audio Mart. Thats where I got the Bryston stuff. Purchased the Apollo and RS6's new. Also changing the two channel room around for better acoustics and seating arrangement.
I still have two NAD AVR's, still one of my favorite AVR's when it comes to SQ. Still using the big Sony Blu-Ray player as movie source. That room is coming along.

Stu- A good deal on a B60 w' 12 years of warranty left being sold a stone throw away from Nuck, David and I.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/97512-bryson_b60_integrated_power_amp__12 _years_left_on_warranty/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1771
Oh and I just received in the last month two Dual 1019 turntables with Shure ED D100 cartridges. Both came right from Germany in the 60's. Even have German writing on the back.They are mint. One didnt turn on so I took the motor apart and had to re-connect a ground wire. Everything works fine on both now. I havn't really told anybody about them yet because I figure they are nothing to be bragging about.lol. But it gets me in the LP door and they were free.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1418
Nick K "Also changing the two channel room around for better acoustics and seating arrangement."

Still married?

Got pics?

Room or Bride?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1772
lol

MW- Yup, happily. I will post some pics eventually. I was able to get the sweet spot about 6 feet behind that coffee table. The coffee table has to stay, but actually warms the room up a bit.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1326
"ts good gear for the beginning audiophile its meant to grow out of."

That pretty much sums it up for me. I started off with a NAD C272, then got another one and ran them as monos. Something about the sound always made me feel something was missing. Went from the NADs to Bryston and never looked back, lol.

Eventually saw the merit in having 2 separate systems - one for HT, one for music. My music system has turned into an all Rotel rig (so far) with Totem Sttafs. I'm very happy with it, but just this weekend I saw that my dealer started carrying McIntosh.

I'm starting to rethink the 2-channel system.

Bronze Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 32
Hey Dave,

I'd be interested in hearing what you're thinking of. You've got three systems going right now- don't you? Do you find the full Rotel setup with your Sttafs is better than driving them with the Bryston 2B's. Are you looking to get a warmer more open sound with McIntosh - maybe tube pre. with soid state power? I'm still in concept phase for a two channel and have been intrigued by Totem.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1915
Hey T, I'm still waiting for the AV123 X-LS Super Wave Guide. They're about two years behind schedule by my estimation.

I picked up a Marantz DV7600 that I think was a great buy, and put together a neat "little" HK/Infinity Primus (HK3485/DVD37/P362/PS210) 2.1 rig for about six bills.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1327
Hey George,

I actually have 4 systems, but one of them is not even worth mentioning, so let's call it 3.

I do really enjoy the Rotel/Totem combo, but unfortunately I'm cursed with the urge to constantly upgrade. I heard a Mac rig on the weekend at my dealer's and I was stunned. Of course this was a 25k system.

I was thinking that it would be feasible to start with the basic Mac integrated (forget the model number). It would *only* cost around 2500?

I'm basically just dreaming right now, of course. I'll do my best to stick with the Rotel setup for as long as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
So that would be Mac to Totem...you'd stick with the Sttafs? Sounds like an interesting combination. Here's to dreaming...Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
oops should have been Mc not Mac. We don't want to get the Irish and Scotts fighting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1773
David, check out CAM and Audiogon. 5 year old Mac Integrated Amps can be had for decent prices.

Or, just buy that Bryston B60.lol. It is easily as good as that entry level Mac. Totally different of course.

Or, you can close your eyes and shutter out the equipment world and enjoy the Rotel. LOL!! I know its hard though man, I am constantly looking myself. We have a sickness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1659
Unfortunetly,Christopher thats how Mark Shifter and av123 opperate,nothing never comes on time,their forum is used to string customers along until the product finnaly comes out,their basically putting the customers on layaway,instead of the other way around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1660
David,the Arro would be awsome with the Macs!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1661
Micheal is a night and day difference with and the subamp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1662
Nick my dad was drooling when he told him about your Dual/Shure setups.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1663
Sorry,David I forgot that you have the Staffs and not the Arro's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1916
I do check the AV123 forum from time to time to see what's up, and it definitely seems like there is more frustration than I've seen in the past.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1328
How do you think Sttafs would sound with the Macs, T?

The system I heard this weekend was a total McIntosh setup (including 2 500 watt monos) with Totem Winds. Awe-inspiring...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1664
All you guys that stepped up to the Bryston gear,from Nad bravo,im a big fan of Bryston.If I was'nt going more towards the tube direction,I would have Brystons's especially that CDP of thiers,its 1 of the 5 best I've heard regardless of price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Any suggestions on a tube/solid state combo using Bryston's? What would your preamp choice be for a Bryston 3B or 4B if you were hooking them up to Sttafs? Any idea what you would use if those were Arros? Any other thoughts in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1667
I think the Staff's would sound very good,I would be interrsted in hearing the RS6 with the Macs

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
There's a lot of choices George,what pricerange?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1774
Tawaun - You know anything about the Dual 1019 TT? I have two and know nothing about them. They are from the 60's. The good thing about the whole thing is that my Bryston pre amp has a great Phono amp.

David- How would you explain the McIntosh sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1775
Tawaun- I can honestly say I love the RS6/Bryston combo. Never heard the Staffs, David owns BOTH!! He would be the guy to compare the two for sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Tawaun,

How about used market, under $1000 for a preamp, under $1500 for a power amp. Mixing the best of tube and solid state for a 2-channel system for both CDP and vinyl listening. Matched with a pair of speakers of under $1500? Like to hear peoples thoughts. The CDP and TT I'd worry about later, want the meat and potatoes out of the way first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1776
I got my pre amp used for 500 and got my power amp used for 600. Got my Speakers for half price, new, for 1000. Got my cd player for 1200 taxes in as well which is 3-400 less than it retails up here. I have a very very good relationship with my dealer.

So

Bryston pre(used)-500.
Bryston power(used)-600.
Monitor Audio RS6's(new)-1000.
Rega Apollo CDP(new) 1200.

It pays to shop around and shop for used stuff.

If I were to do it all over again, I would pick up a 3bsst for around 1000 used. And then a Bryston 11b pre amp for around 650 used. I am not sure how much I would benefit in sound over what I have now, I doubt much. But it would give me more warranty, and a bit slicker looking products. I would still keep the Apollo and RS6's.

I would also test out one of Michael Wodek's pre amps. The Prema Luna (spelling is wrong)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1777
Scratch that 11b, I meant BP20.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Hmm. Look me up Nick when you're thinking of upgrading, I might be up to purchase. Those are great prices. The lowest price I've been able to find on the RS6's is $1200 in my neighbourhood from a dealer.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1329
Even 1200 is good for the RS6 George. They retail here in Ottawa for between 1500-1700.

Can't really comment much on the Mac sound Nick. I got to hear one song (that I was unfamiliar with), and had my two kids in tow. So needless to say, I couldn't give the Mac my undivided attention.

If I had to use one word it would be clear and neutral. OK, two words...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Hey David,

Would the word "sublime" do?

sub·lime (s-blm)
adj.
1. Characterized by nobility; majestic.
a. Of high spiritual, moral, or intellectual worth.
b. Not to be excelled; supreme.
3. Inspiring awe; impressive.
4. Archaic Raised aloft; set high.
5. Obsolete Of lofty appearance or bearing; haughty: "not terrible,/That I should fear . . . /But solemn and sublime" John Milton.
n.
1. Something sublime.
2. An ultimate example.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1917
looking for RS6? http://www.brandnamez.com/p-39136-monitor-audio-silver-rs-6.aspx

RS8 too: http://www.brandnamez.com/p-39137-monitor-audio-silver-rs-8.aspx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Thank's Christopher but by the time I'm done with duty/taxes/shipping/insurance I'd be back to just under $1200 Canadian as my scratch pad says. Still makes sense for me to deal with a local dealer. Good to know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1918
That much aye?

Probably better to keep the local Hi-Fi shop in business anyway.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1330
It's crazy to have stuff shipped to Canada, especially if it's not covered under NAFTA. My $325 Outlaw monoblock ended up costing me well over 500 bucks when all was said and done. I looked into buying an Outlaw sub awhile back, and after I did the numbers it was totally not worth it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
I hear ya David, remember my experience not so long ago with Spearit? Unless I wanted to ship that thing by Postal Service, UPS or Fedex shipping added another 200 dollars US onto the AVR. ahhhh no thanks. lol. It went from being " wow what a great deal " to " that blows, and is not worth it ".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1919
Somebody has to pay for all that "free" government health-care.

Silver Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 204
Tawaun,

I dont think i was a forum member before you left. But I figured I would chime in anyway.

About 6 months ago I took the plunge and entered the magical world of Naim Audio.

Using 102 pre (with NAPSC), 180 Power with NACA-5 speaker cable and Naim Arivas.

My only source is a Beresford DAC until I get a chance to home demo some other units....

Naim is presenting the music in a way I have never experienced. Certainly against the grain of anything out there. Singularly unique in most ways.

I am completely enthralled by my kit...

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1420
Tawaun, A night and day difference is a bit over the top for the Gallo sub-amp. It is one of those things where you could be okay without it but once you have it you do not want to go back. Technically there is not a lot of music that you need to dip below 38Hz with, but as I stated before, I get the sense if adds weight further up the food chain.

Nick, I have a Rogue Audio Magnum 99 not a Prima Luna pre-amp.

George, I had MA Silver 8is with an older used amp, then with a Creek 5350 SE, and finally with a Carver. Not to be sound snooty but I think they would be a bit laid back for my MAC, or any other MAC. I might sound confusing but the Creek and Carver were more forward in their presentations and the MAs more neutral for a decent balance. I think the MAC is not as bright or pushy to where I do not think my MAs would have been the best fit. The Gallo's take the MAC's power and presentation and runs with it.

Keep in mind the Silver 8i's were a couple of generations back for MA. YMMV.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1422
Technically I should start a new thread with this as it occurred after TW's OP, so instead I posted in Tube talk.

I am getting new tubes for my pre-amp, see post in Home Audio/Amps/Tube Talk.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10679
I am still running the Classe kit, TW.
In a less than ideal room, but no choice there.
Lots of spare parts kicking around in the storage space.
The vpi hw19 TT is still packed away, awaiting a real space to use it in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1786
MW- Sorry dude got my brands mixed up. Id rather a Rogue anyway.lol I never heard the older generation Silver line, but if they were laid back then they have greatly changed them since. The new Silver series is anything but laid back.lol. Sometimes, with certain recordings they can almost be a little too upfront actually. But not very often.
Is used Rogue gear worth a look or should I only consider a new one when it comes to tubes?

I am really close to pulling a trigger on a Bryston B-60 with 12 years of warranty left on it.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1424
Nick, I would think separates would out perform an integrated. As to used Rogue, I know there was a Rogue 66 pre-amp, which I would only go for the Magnum version.

Here's one...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55970

Gold Member

Post Number: 1787
Mike, other than being half the power, it is really surprising on just how well the B60 performs. Technically speaking, yes you are right. But, the B60 is newer. I am basically just dreaming for now, the loser would be sold of course.

Thanks for the link, great price on that. They look sexy too, and I bet sound even better. Hmmmm, u got my thinking now Mike. I love to buy stuff.lol

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3182
Tawaun,

Welcome back...

I'll save you the trip into my profile. My system has expanded somewhat since you left. The main changes are to the stereo section since I now have a Naim phono stage and amplifier. Here's the list:

2 Hutter racks support a Naim CDX2 CD player, Michell Orbe turntable, Naim ARO tonearm, Dynavector XV-1S cartridge, Naim Superline phono stage, NAC282 preamp, Hicap2, NAP250-2 power amp, Arcam FMJ AV9 Processor, FMJ P7 power amp, Totem Mani-2 Signatures on Partington Heavi-2 stands, M&K LCR36 centre, Surround 26 rears, MX7000SF Subwoofer. Standard Naim lead between CD player and processor, rest wired with Chord cables being Anthem interconnects, Cobra3 for sub, Bandridge optical digital interconnect, Naim NACA5 for Mani-2s, Chord Odyssey for Centre and surrounds. On the 32" Panasonic TV's shelf, there's a Sony PS3 (40GB) for DVD/Blu-ray duties, Panasonic VCR, nintendo Wii and TiVo. Phew!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1670
Impressive setup Frank,anymore changes in the future?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1671
Nice setup Patrick,yes Naim will do that,they do pace and rhythum like few others or any others,regardless of price.I just recently heard the Naims 5x seprates on the Thiel 2.4's and as shocked they could even drive those speakers,let alone make them the best I've heard them outside some uber expensive Ayre gear,trully impressive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Nuck what speakers are you running now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1673
My,dad knows about the Duals,but he was a big a Benjamin Mirachord and Gerrrad man and he always wanted the
Linn table,maybe Jan can chime and and shed some light for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
My,dad knows about the Duals,but he was a big a Benjamin Mirachord and Gerrrad man and he always wanted the
Linn table,maybe Jan can chime in and shed some light for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1675
George are you thinking about setting up a whole new system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1676
Micheal is it really a timbre difference from the voice coil with the subamp like a lot of people say? I've only heard them without the subamp.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1426
If by timbre they mean quality and color, to me it is about half of that. The quality to me is better as the tone has more depth (substitute weight not frequency) with the sub/amp but the color for me remains unchanged.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Yes Tawaun, looking for a whole new 2ch setup - concept phase right now - total blank sheet. Some of the brands to consider: Naim, Bryston, Totem, Monitor Audio, NHT, Epos, Energy Veritas. Don't mind mixing bookshelves with a small sub or going towers. I've got a Goldring Turntable to start with as a source but will upgrade depending on the system potential. I need to work within the price contraints - $3000 Cdn. for a 2 ch. setup, excluding sources. Would like to buy local with local-used being an option.

I'm looking for something that will make me smile and be a really nice base system that I can live with for some time and feel proud. Clear and accurate with some warmth but very open and airy - big sound and very realistic. I love clear crisp highs and am not worried about fatigue if the sound is true i.e. I don't mind if a symbol strike sounds like a real symbol strike. Exceptional imaging, pinpoint accuracy with very good depth of soundstage.

Can it be done? Your thoughts, suggestions, etc. are welcome

Gold Member

Post Number: 1680
I think it can George,lets see if some people lay out some options for you,we will help you out.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1343
George, my 2 channel rig makes me smile almost every single time I listen to it.

Much more so than my HT setup, which ain't no slouch either ;-)

All the brands you mention are good. From my personal experience, Totem and Bryston is a winning combination. MA and Bryston is awesome too, just ask Nick.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1790
I love my MA/Bryston combo indeed. Dave is right. The Bryston's really allow the Apollo to shine through. Stu can vouch for that.lol.

David, I know you are enjoying your two channel system way too much to care right now, but I wonder what kind of results you would get if you tried the RS6's with those 2b's Bridged downstairs in the two channel room. Do you find the room acoustics much better downstairs as well? Your MA's broke in yet?

George - 3 Grand, excluding sources can buy you a very nice 2 channel system, especially if you buy on the used market. Are you checking out canuckAudioMart yet? Of course, listening to some systems is the first step.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
O.k. Tawaun, Dave, Nick. You guys have got some real experience between you on this. I've just gotten back into this kick.
Given that I like 80's to contemporary rock, lots of jazz, female vocals, a little atmospheric - Moby and the like. I like tight bass, realistic midrange, and crisp realistic highs. Is a Bryston/Totem or Bryston/MA setup what I should be looking at? With everything said, what I'm missing with my current monitors is pinpoint imaging and wide open soundstage and that's what I'm after.
Nick - sounds like the Bryston/MA setup does it for you. If you could improve on your amp/speaker setup for your two channel, what would you do? Throw in tubes?
I agree, I need to start with the auditioning but I'm just trying to narrow the field... there is so much out there, which is part of the fun...I guess.
How would Rega and Naim or other mix into this? Any other matches I should be looking at? I've heard Rotel and B&W go well but when I've heard it, it was warm and clear but not jaw dropping, if you know what I mean. Sheesh, I'm getting long winded on this post, eh?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Sorry Nick - took a closer Nick at your earlier post and see your next tweaks..good enough, unless anything else comes to mind.
I really think I need to nail the speakers down first and then complement them with an appropriate amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I'm just thinking, given the budget, what would be the three top speakers to start with? Totem, MA and what...?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
Well George,I have to say it,as far as speakers like I stated earlier,I havent heard anything under $5k better than the Infinity Classia C336,and for the price I paid I had to get them,and at the time I was only shopping for my frontend.I've got several speakers and I always get several in for reviews,but C336's sounnd very close to the Revel F52's for way way cheaper,and their absolutely stunning to look at,there making it very hard for me to listen and review anything,I have to make myself get away from them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10684
TW, I am still using my old PSB Stratus Silver speakers.
I had planned on going to Gallo 3.1 (I like Mikes) and bi amp with a Classe ca300 amp, active XO and a Classe ca200 amp.

If the divorce lawyer allows, I may still do so, LOL!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1349
What size is your listening room George?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3187
TW,

Yes, I'm going to sell my Arcam AV9/P7 and replace it with a lower end integrated AV receiver (since that's the sideline). I'm also considering replacement, easier to drive, front speakers (although the 250.2 does a remarkable job actually) such as Naim SL2s, a new TV (still unsettled though) and possibly different centre speaker.

Oh and maybe a Naim HDX Hard Disc player to replace my CDX2. Maybe...

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 705
Well for me its been an interesting and reserved affair.

I sold most of my old system, the speakers, the stands and the amp.

Then I bought 2 NAD 2100 power amps. Which I broke bi-amping because I did it wrong I guess?
There was smoke, sparks and pops and wasted money!!

But my speaker replacements for my old Monitor Audio BR2s are a pair of Acoustic Energy Linear 3s which are so much better. No sharpness, better depth and pace and more defined bass with the 3 way design.

My room is certainly not optimal but come October I'll have a new larger room to play with and kit out.

Amp is an old NAD 3130

For the observant the pics were taken on different days hence position of things in my rather messy room.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1350
Clean your room, JJ!

What did you think of the 2100's (before they went up in smoke)? I used to have an old 2150 that was a tank. Rated at only 50 watts, it really put a lot of power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1792
Acoustic Energy's? Cool beans, They were my first Hi-Fi speakers I ever had. Traded the guy for a crappy pair of Sony's (I ripped him off). They were nice sounding speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 121
Simaudio and Dynaudio combo will take you to heaven.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 706
I try Dave. But there's actually nowhere to put anything else, its only a small room back at home!
I thought the 2100s had stacks of power even only on the first gain notch, like you said they're tanks! They ran very very hot though!
I don't think they had the coherence of my 3130 though, there's just something extra musical and the sound stage is more coherent.

Glad you like AE too Nick!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1682
Wow!Nuck the old Kirk Douglas's are still going strong,I almost hate to ask this,but are you planning to upgrade with the 3.1's and are they your only choices?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1683
I had some of my most entertaining moments listening to my AE Evo Ageis 1's,its to bad the US's market for AE has vanished.J.Jarvis how are the Linear compared to the old Evo Ageis series?I search all over for a US dealer for them but I didnt find 1.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1684
So,Frank what speakers are on your radar,to replace the Mani-2 Sigs,they are great,but they may be the hardest speaker in the world to drive.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10686
A little stuck on the Gallo's TW, and the arrangement that I mentioned.
I like the way that they sound and the way they are/are not crossed over.
A couple of active XO's from Behringer keep things balanced all the way through, and those Classe amps (different from each other) can pour out power in buckets (straight A). They also use trees and stuff on consumption...I might power them with nuked whale blubber, warmed over coal, LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1920
Personally, I'd build the system around the Mani-2s, not the other way around; they are that good.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10690
I have no experience with the Main 2 Sig's.

I did run across a pair of the newest ones (2 yrs)for sale, and I wonder about them.

Any thoughts on them with 300wpc Classe?

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 228
Thanks to many good folks here my kit has now evolved to an all Naim setup.

Naim Cd5i.2
Nait 5i.2
Arivas
Naca 5

Gold Member

Post Number: 1687
Im gonna have to hear the Gallo's with the voice coil powered,and I've only heard the Ref 3,not the 3.1,and I heard their were improvements to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1688
Nice setup Ed,im a big fan of the Ariva's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1689
Christopher,I think Frank is not building around the Mani-2's because they are among the most difficult to driver speakers ever created.He wants to be able to choose a amp on quality,not quanity.Good musical power for the Mani-2 is expensive,as great as they are its not worth it,throwing in the towel,is the smart thing to do,I recently almost bought the Dyanaudio C1 with huge dollars off as much as I think its 1 of the best speakers on the planet,powering them is tricky,after hearing them suck the life out of Bryston 4b,I was done before I got started.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
I just tracked my Bada Purer 3.8SE intergratedamp,Bada HD-23 CDP,and Xindak cables,via DHL they will be here tuesday Sept. 2nd directly from China!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10691
How about main-2's with an active Marchand xO at the same Hz?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10692
And a couple of Classe amps?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1795
That the famous China made YPL Audio Tawaun? Not widely known, but well known in china.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1692
Yep,Nick but that seems like its changing,Bada is on the rise in N.America.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3191
I love the Mani-2 Sigs. They do some wonderful things, and with a suitably beefy amplifier (typically 250w or more pair side), they absolutely sing.

However, they really demand current. So for example I was driving them with a 7-channel Arcam P7, each channel at 150wpc or so, with 4 channels dedicated to them and the result was good but not great.

Now, I'm using a single 85wpc Naim NAP250.2 but its current delivery is much better and it grips the speakers with no problem whatsoever. Ok, so the 2-channel 250.2 is almost as heavy as the P7...

I had been very worried about this move, but in the end the musical aspect of the Arcam was letting me down so I really needed to make a change, and it has been surprisingly successul. I had almost resigned myself to needing to change the speakers. Now, I'm not convinced.

There is another reason to contemplate change though. :-) Every week I pop into the shop and end up listening to the main Naim system, usually with a pair of Naim Allaes on the end. Allaes are good speakers, unusual in that they use Naim's multi-box technology (from the eighties) refined and (oddly for Naim) ported (very successfully). Although they're not as good as the Mani-2s in many respects, I often come away thinking I'd really like some of what they do well which are typical traits of Naim speakers - there's an element of really fast dynamic power which misses most other speaker brands and the Mani-2s to an extent. There's also an element of a rather one dimensional approach which I have problems with. The Allaes are a bit cheaper than the Mani-2s, but go to the much more expensive Naim SL2s which are a much purer interpretation of the Naim species and things take a far more serious and yet also more quirky feel. When working well, the SL2s can leave almost anything else standing in its wake. The problem is that SL2s are unbelievably room sensitive, and you can never tell whether they'll work in a room or not, whereas Mani-2s work in most rooms very well.

The other benefit of either Naim speaker is they are designed to work well close to a rear wall which would grant me space in the room, but really should be accompanied by a new flat-panel TV to get that out of the way of the speakers. Oh - and did I mention SL2s are far more expensive? :-(

So SL2s are very high on my very short list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1694
So Frank what other speakers are you considering?it seems you have always been smitten with the Arcam gear,but it is very hard to ignore Naim,which is waht they do best not let you ignore their musical vigor.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
My Bada gear has arrived early to im really liking DHL.lol I'll take some picture today,in the picture thread,my room and rack is a disary right now so you'll have to excuse it,there will be plenty of gear in the pics.The Bada's are pure eye candy,as are the Classia C336's and Swan Diva 6.2's.

Bronze Member
Username: Quaintdreamer

TrivandrumIndia

Post Number: 12
Need help desperately, I have upgraded my CD player to Naim Cd 5i, now I want to upgrade my pre amp(Counterpoint SA 1000) power amp (Marantz MA 500 Monoblocks)is it possible to go for pre first and power later if I am changing my gear to complete Naim set up. I am In India and my closest dealer is in Dubai,over the phone he told me first to change my power amp(or that is how I understood) somebody please help me on this, my current speaker is Wharfedale 9.6
Regards
Quaintdreamer

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7639
Start a thread QD.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10715
I still have the Main-2's on my brain.

Either those or go easy and try out the Focus 140's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1707
Nuck,I thought you wanted the Ref 3.1's?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10718
I need to hear the Totem's TW.
They might be a fun diversion for the right price, considering that I don't loe much if I change my mind and flip them.
I have a line on another ca300 amp, so I can run mono's or Active xo's easier than using one ca300 and a spare ca200.

Still sniffin' around...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1806
I see Vintage Audio in Hamilton has a Classe Pre amp for sale for 700 Nuck. It looks tasty at that price.

http://vintagemusic.ca/inventory.html?p=5

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10722
It is a good price, Nick, as most of the line is overpriced to start with.

My cp-60 needs a display repair, but does what it should, albeit without a phono...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2977
Nuck,

Have you heard ATC speakers? They were the best sounding speakers I heard when I was auditioning, but my B60 doesn't have enough power to really open them up.

One or both of your Classe's should do them justice. Just a thought.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7683
ATC's are killer....a must hear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1931
They ain't cheap.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7684
Nope...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10725
I will see who carries them...thanks guys.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2980
The ATC SCM7 was by far the best speker that I auditioned. I've heard a ton of speakers, and nothing came close. If the dealer told me they cost twice the money they do, I wouldn't have been surprised.

They're one of the most power hungry speakers on the planet, and need a bigger room than my small loft to do them justice. If I had amplification like your Classe amps and a somewhat normal room, I'd have bought them on the spot. No question or second guessing. The SCM7s blew the doors off the Dynaudio Focus 110 side by side. My 60 watt B60 and room wouldn't have any done anyone any favors.

The SCM11s are better and worth the extra cash. They're also a bit easier to drive.

If you audition them and they sound average, they're being under powered. They should have 150 clean and honest watts minimum in a small room. 300 Classe watts in a normal room should open them up perfectly.

There's a very good reason why Dark Side of the Moon was remastered and mixed using ATCs.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2983
http://www.lasvegasproaudio.com/atclofoondas.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10727
Thanks Stuie.
If the plan works out, I might have 600-1000 wpc from the Classe amps.
Will that suffice? hehe

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2984
For most normal people, its overkill.
For you, not so much. It should do just right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10731
Atc have offered powered monitors for a long time, but their passive products are limited.
The offer Marchand active xo's, so I have been told, but the site is very old.

Not finding current dealers near Toronto, which is odd.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2985
Try contacting these guys -
USA & CANADA
Consumer Products
• Flat Earth Audio
98 Main Street, P.O Box 110, Seymour, Ct 06483, USA
Tel: 001 203 888 3759
Fax: 001 203 888 3769
Email: fea@flatearthaudio.com

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10733
Thank you sah.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1732
Yeah,I like ATC's,but when i heard them they were really cold and lean sounding,but I heard them on some old Rotel's which were bright and lean,I prefer the PMC's both companies orgins are from studio monitors they are the 2 companies that have actually still stayed right on point with their heritage.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 179
Not that you guys/gals care, but.......

I still have my Wharfedale Opus 2, my Butler TDB 2250, my Butler TDB 5150, my two Rega Apollos, my Rega Saturn, my Vincent Audio SA-T1 and Vincent CDS6 CD Player.

As well, I also now have two pairs of Castle Acoustics Warwick 3 (in the Mahogony finish) and my Castle Richmond (Yew Finish).

I've recently auditioned the Jamo c607 in my home and I'm going to buy them for the family room (along with the c60 CEN and c603 bookshelves).

I just bought a pair of the Jamo c803 bookshelves and they should be here tomorrow. These are unheard of by me. Bought them on faith, after listening to the c607. Should be interesting.

I have a Rotel RX-1052 Stereo Reciever in the works for my bedroom system. Nice piece!!!

I also have a Van alstine T8 Tube Pre Amp (with phono) being built for me and Frank has my AVA Fet Valve 550 amp in for a check up ...........and maintence (if required).

That's about it, right now.

Still trying to save for another McIntosh mc252. Which will probably take quite a while to accomplish.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3196
I have never heard ATCs sound involving. They're very good transducers but they always sound mechanical and devoid of any emotional impact.

Beautifully made and technically good sound, just no music...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1735
Me to Frank,very detailed sound,but ultimately unmusical,but I think different souces and amps,cables ect. will play a bigger role in how they sound,more than most speakers.So far from what i heard I preferred the PMC's,but I heard them on Bryston powerblock 120's and a Bryston 4b and preamp with a Classe CDP,so they deffinately had a advantage over the ATC in setup.I would be willing to bet the ATC's would have atleast equaled the PMC or bettered it, ATC may be the most detailed speakers I've heard,but it will be tough for them to better PMC in the bass,which is among the best I've heard in that aspect,im not aware that any ATC goes as low as even the PMC GB1+ and thats 1 of PMC's smaller speakers.But all that aside,Thats why I like studio monitors speakers they really show what electronics are all about.Which brings me to another point on how good the Bryston gear really is,I know how highly John Ashman thinks of Nad,but there's no way in hell that any Nad gear can sound as good as Bryston gear with PMC's! or ATC's,both would quickly reveal Nad as budget gear and even the Master series will be shown just as a Nad dressed up to go to the club with a pretty exterior outfit on,the Master series is like a woman with breast implants it looks a lot btter than it actually is.Both of these speaker companies are ultra revealing,this is boths calling card,if you wanna find out how good your gear is put it on the end of the line with 1 of speaker companies.Sorry guys with all this Nad measure's better and sounds as good as everything else crap I was just thinking about it,while I was writing this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1821
LOL!!! Great post Tawaun.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2986
My experience with ATC was a little different than your's Frank. Not that I'm saying you're wrong. Just curious as to what you've heard them with.

I heard them with some monoblocks (most likely Naim, but can't recall exactly) and a CDX2. The SCM11s grooved. A very tight and controlled groove, but grooved nonetheless.

Their entry level active speakers and ATC and the same CDX2 had no problems either.

In regards to the M3, I think of its sound as a C392 integrated amp. Better dressed and built (arguably), but pretty much the next step up from the 372.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2987
BTW -

I'm a huge fan of PMC. My opinion of them is basically a looser and wilder ATC.

I'm not sure about PMCs and Classe though. Classe and ATC seem to be a better theoretical match to me for unexplainable reasons.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 181
Jamo C803.......in the house
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us