Speaker upgrade

Username: Zzzxtreme

Post Number: 8
hi currently im using sony ss86E, which are apparently awarded 5star by whathifi in early 90's.

assuming i get $500 integrated amps or av receivers like azur,nad,denon,marantz,onkyo would getting a new wharfedale diamond be a audibly noticable upgrade to the sony?

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 108
nick, if youre long term goal is to upgrade your entire system the go with a plan. you could either do it in stages or all together. but you need to have a plan according to a budget. im not sure how the wharfedale diamond sounds but if you give us your budget am sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from this forum. it also helps (a lot) to go down to a local dealer (not a mass market hifi store) and listen around

Bronze Member
Username: Zzzxtreme

Post Number: 11
hi thanks again francis

i plan to upgrade in stages.

First i'd like to upgrade my amp. and budget is maybe around $500. I could try to stretch it to $600.

I listen to few kinds of music - opera, classical, rock (like scorpions), 80's pop. I absolutely love turntable sound even with a lil bit noise. So a warm sounding amp with phono input would be nice.

after that maybe for the near year, a new pair of speakers, if the older sonys are not good enough. max budget $300 :-(

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 331
Nick::
Start saving $$ rite NOW.
No fooling. Between weakening dollar and time between upgrades, you is in fo' it.

Integration and 'synergy' are key to your project.

Silver Member
Username: Afj

GaboroneBotswana

Post Number: 109
nick
if you like a warm sound then in that price range the nad is good. am not sure about other brands, but perhaps you could look at cambridge as well. the output would depend on the speakers you would want to match it at. from what i;ve heard the monitor audio silver series is a good match with the nad. theres also psb, paradigm and the likes. they've got a pair or bookshelves which if you add on 100 dollars to your budget you should get. but go to an audio dealer and listen around before you buy

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10672
nick, look into NAd for sure.
Most of their integrateds have phono built in, and they are available as refurbs (for various reasons) for good prices.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1905
I'll go out on a limb and say the there is a very significant difference in the potential between a pair of Sony and Wharfedale Diamonds. The Diamonds are one of the very best $ for $ speakers on the market today.

Generally, NAD is still the standout performer in the sub-$500 category when it comes to electronics, IMHO.

In my experience, the two pair well & should make for some beautiful music.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2959
NAD integrateds do not have a built in phono stage. The C162 pre-amp does.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1630
The C162 is Nads best performance to dollar performer,very good pre for the money,me personally I would look to the Chinese brands which are killing everything else performance and build per dollar.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1910
Which Chinese brands T?

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1633
Bada,which is who I've went with for my refferance if it was from somewherelse my setup would have costed 10k for what it offers.Some others are Jolida,Vincent,Xindak,Yaquin,Melody,Dunason,Shanling,and a whole army of others I havent named,plus I own a Melody Sp-3,and a Pop Pulse T-amp.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1189
sony pairs well with wharfedale?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914
Who said that?

NAD & Wharfedale, yes; something like an NAD C720BEE should have no problem driving the 6-ohm Diamonds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us