ONKYO TX-SR606

Username: Ferly

Post Number: 1
I need some advice on how to proceed with setting up my 4 outdoor proficient aw600tt dual tweeter deck speakers (with 4 ohms impedence) to my Onkyo tx-sr606 receiver. From what I have been reading, since the receiver is only rated for 8 ohm speakers, I could be damaging my receivers. I have read about using an autoformer type impedance matching speaker selector but I'm an amature and I don't really know if this is right.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3125
James,

there's a setting in the Onkyo's menu system where you tell it what impedance to expect. The choices are 4 or 8 ohms I believe. It's pretty easy to find provided you look in the manual. It's somewhere toward the beginning of the setup guide. Piece of cake.

Username: Ferly

Post Number: 2
Frank,

I checked the manual and there is no place I can tell the impedance. I also looked in the back of the receiver and it does not have any type of switch. I have the north American version of the receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3142
James,

Hmm, now isn't that weird? I just checked the manual for the North American model and it says, on page 42:

"If the impedance of any speaker is 4 ohms or more but less than 6, set the Speaker Impedance to 4 ohms.
North American models do not support speakers with an impedance of less than 6 ohms."

So it looks like your receiver doesn't support 4-ohm speakers, but European versions do! This is weird because usually, Americans get all the goodies and we don't.

So, my apologies, my mistake.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us