Old B&W DM4 worth the buck?

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 699
..Or Pound in my case.

B&W have always seemed reputable, including their older speakers.

Has anyone owned the DM4s before?

"The DM4 uses the same tweeter (Celestion HF1300 MkII) and supertweeter (Coles 4001) as the famous Spendor BC1."

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7426
Never owned...I have some old 610i's which are very good. Especially for $40 that I paid for 'em.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12876

The DM4's offer good musicality in an "old style" B&W design and should be a reasonable purchase if you're looking for bang for buck speakers. They can be bettered by today's speakers in a few ways you might consider important. Obviously, you should listen before you make a buying decision.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 700
I wont have a chance to hear before I buy unfortunately.
What kind of ways would you say are important for newer speakers to better them?

If I can get them at a bargain, I don't see any harm, however..

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12879

"What kind of ways would you say are important for newer speakers to better them?"

What ways are important to you? If you don't listen for what the new speakers can do that's better, it doesn't matter and I'm not much into laundry lists of attributes. How old are the DM4's now? Almost 30 years?

Why buy something you don't know anything about and can't hear before you make the purchase? That's hardly the way to go about putting together a top notch system for the least amount of money.

If you just want something that's "reputable", buy the DM4's. If you want something you know you'll like and won't be back here in six months asking about what's better, then buy something you can audition first before you buy.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us