Wirerless solution to RCA's?

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 292
Here's the situation: I will be in a college apartment on campus and I would like to keep my receiver and speakers in the living room while having my computer in my bedroom. If possible I would like to find a wireless solution to run signal (from my computer to my receiver) 30 feet and through a wall.

I know the technology is out there but dose anyone know a product that can do this?

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 293
maybe something like this?

http://www.yourcablehookup.com/scosche-bluetooth-home-and-car-receiver-ubr-p-109 33.html

however this is UBR (unspecified bit rate) so it would not be logical to use with music.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3099
That Sosche solution seems to stream analogue over bluetooth which is the more common way of doing this. UBR simply means you don't know what mangling is going on in between and therefore who knows what it sounds like?

The latest gear implements bluetooth in purely digital mode using A2DP. This would take the digital output stream from your iPod/MP3 player/CD player/PC and transmit in a probably more faithful stream to the receiver. A2DP does not have much take-up yet as far as I know...

Silver Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 176
Am I missing something here?

Doesn't Ben just need any streaming product such as a Squeeze Box or Roku?

Or any number of products out there.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7372
That's what I was thinking but I'm behind the times so I said nuttin'.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3103
D'oh!

Ben, the boyz are right - all you need is a Squuezebox or Roku Soundbridge if your PC has a wireless network connection. If not, then you could use a wireless network dongle and the above mentioned items.

That said, the Sosche also accomplishes the task, although I'm not sure if it'll be as good quality.

Silver Member
Username: Pcstockton

Post Number: 179
pick one of these:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

Silver Member

SA, Texas

Post Number: 294
After looking at my options I have realized getting a wi-fi solution has a high chance of interrupting the wireless internet signal in my dorm/apartment. Squeezebox and Roku use wi-fi 802.11g that interrupts 802.11b that my school network is on. That's to bad because the Squeezebox looks like a good solution for an affordable price. The Sosche does not look promising so I'm going to keep searching.

For the time being- how long of a wire can I use to carry audio signal from my laptop to my receiver without loosing any quality? Would 30 feet still be efficient?

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 551
I use an airport express but the sound is not so good. Don't know why. Maybe all streaming from the web is lowfi?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us