SME 3009 Series II Improved - Setting-up advice please!

Username: Normski

Post Number: 1
I'm setting up this arm again after not using it for years. I want to play LP's and 78's. The "Expert Stylus & Cartridge Company" have set me up with a Shure M447 Cartridge for my LP listening and a Shure N44C Stylus Assembly 0.0032 CTD for the 78's.
I'm happy with this but confused about tracking etc. Leaving the N44C assembly aside for the moment, and concentrating on the M447 I am trying trying to follow the setting up instructions in the SME booklet.
The arm balances in equilibrium but it is the settings of the wayrod that I find confusing.
The M447 has, according to the Shure leaflet, a typical tracking force of 3 grams but it says nothing about the cartridge weight. So, where the wayrod enters the back of the arm I have set this at 3 and then set the small rider weight at zero. Is this correct - or am I miles out by not taking the cartridge weight into account - whatever it might be?
Again, when setting the bias adjustment the book says: " Place the nylon loop in the groove corresponding to the tracking force being used". As I said, the typical tracking force (according to the Shure leaflet) is 3 grams but the settings for the bias adjustment are only from 0.25 to 1.5 grams. Where should I set this? Can someone offer some help please? I would be most grateful.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12808

Set the bias adjustment to the same spec as the tracking force you are using. (Ignore the weight of the cartridge itself, it is only relevant when setting the downforce on the arm.)

This is only a starting point for anti-skate and you will need to make adjustments if the arm doesn't track properly through a disc. The problem with this set up procedure is bias is a "guesstimate" setting that is never correct when set using a static (non-playing) number and never correct when using an active (playing) situation. As you can see, bias is never really correct over a wide range of playing situations.

Use a disc with a strong, well focussed, center vocal image and listen for any wavering of position side to side - especially toward the inner groooves of the disc. This is not a gross slide to the side but a shift in the roundness of the voice's position. If you detect the image is shifting to one side or the other, make adjustments to correct the skating effect.

Many arm manufacturers forsake bias altogether because it is never truly correct. Those manufacturers typically suggest applying a slightly higher setting for the VTF (tracking force) and ignoring bias settings.

There are test discs you can purchase and most now use your computuer as a piece of test equipment. They are, for the most part, expensive and still only tell you the results of your settings with a test disc. For the most part skating is set by ear and you hope for the best on the widest range of discs.

It's been several years since I put a M44 on a table to play 78's but 3 grams seems to be on the high side of appropriate VTF.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us