Klipsch RF-82 vs Axiom M80

Username: Bdpf

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone,

I am trying to build my first home theater and I need some opinions from you people that are more experienced than me.

I have been listening to some speakers (not many but some ...) from Infinity, Energy, Polk and Klipsch. I find myself liking more dynamic speakers like Polk and Klipsch over Infinity and Energy. I auditioned the Klipsch RF-82 and the Polk RTiA7 side by side. Both are nice speakers, but I thought the RF-82 were slightly lacking of mid-range compared to the RTiA7 and even the bass was not really there which really surprised me considering the 2 x 8'' woofers so I think that it might have been something wrong with the setup and will go back to listen again. On the other hand, I just loved the 82's high frequencies and the dynamics and soundstage that it creates. They envelop you and make the music come to life. They are really good speakers.

Going back to my HT, I am trying to build a system under $3000 that would be good for 2ch stereo listening as well as HT. I listen to pretty much any type of music (Rap, RnB, Techno, Rock, Orchestra...) and would probably use the speakers for 60% movies / 40% music. Right now I live in an apartment but am moving to my new home in March. My room will then be 20''x 11'' with hardwood floor, no furniture except the couches and a coffee table.
The front towers that I like the most will determine which system I will get. Here are the 2 systems that I am considering:
1) Klipsch: 2 x RF-82, 1x RC-62, 2 x RS-52
2) Axiom: 2 x M80, 1 x VP150, 2 x QS8

For the subs, I was considering the RW-12D for Klipsch and EP350 for Axiom, however I noticed that both Klipsch and Axiom owners like to pair their system with other brand subs like HSU, SVS and AVR123 as they say you get more for the money. Any recommendation on a sub of $700 or less better that the 2 mentioned?

I also haven't decided on the receiver. Any suggestions (the cheaper the better:D)?

The M80s are 4 ohms vs 8 ohms for the 82s. Does that change anything sound wise? Does it mean that I need less power to drive them or more?

Is it fair to compare the M80s to the RF-82s or should they be more compared to the RF-63s (in terms of quality of sound, not looks)

I like much more the look of the Klipsch over the Axiom but sound has nothing to do with looks. I have read nothing but good reviews on the Axioms, that they have very good highs and lows and excellent mids. For the Klipsch, the only negatives that I read are how they sound harsh and bright, and how they lack a little bit of mids. Personally I like the way the horns sound very much so I disagree with the first comment, but I kind of agree about the mids (at least for the 82s).

Will the M80 provide the same dynamic feel and wide sound stage as the 82 do but with better mids and lows?

The ultimate test will be for me to listen to the Axiom and eventually I will. However it will be very hard, at least for me, to compare them if they are not side by side. The 82s already sound good to me, what if the Axiom also sound good to me, how can I remember which one sounds better !?!?

Also, I only listened to the 82s in stereo, how will the center and surrounds compare?

I know that some people just don't like Klipsch because of the horns but I like this sound (at least fro the 30 min or so that I listened to it) and don't find it to be a negative point. I am looking for honest and truthful opinions of people that possibly owned or heard both and picked one over the other and why.

Thank you very much for your help.

Bruno

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1102
Hi Bruno,

I've owned Klipsch and I've found that they do indeed lack a little bit in the midrange. They have nice crisp highs and some good bottom end (depending on the model) but the mids are a little anemic.

I've never personally heard Axiom speakers but I've heard that they do have a "bright" or "harsh" edge to them (something that Klipsch is often described as). I've stayed away from them for that reason since for 2 channel
listening this is not something I enjoy.

Are there any other brands your considering?

I see that you live in TO. Theres a whole world of options open to you. Why just Klipsch and Axiom?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2867
Bruno,

Your best bet is to go to a true hifi shop (not Future Shop et al.) and listen to a few different systems. The brands you've heard are decent, but there's probably better out there for the money. Being in Toronto, I'd be willing to bet there's a few shops with a good amount of gear.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10443
Bruno, if you want to follow up on Axiom, they have very good tours of their facilities up in Barrie...or Orangeville.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1103
The faux wood vinyl finish on the Axioms is a deal killer for me. I know it sounds kinda silly, but if I'm going to spend any significant amount of coin on a speaker I want real wood veneer.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10444
Looks like shelf paper, in fact.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1106
It looks cheap.

Lowers the WAF score.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7171
If the speaker is good enough and the finish good enough I can deal with vinyl, such as the B&W 685...however I prefer real wood. Let me add that I meant if I were to pick up that B&W at a jumble sale...lol!

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 2
David,
Thanks. The reason for Klipsch and Axiom is that when I started researching speakers Klipsch was very well reviewed for HT application. Axiom, I haven't be able to find one bad review about them. It seems to be one of the best for the price.

Regarding Stu's comment, he is right, so far I only went to places like FS and BB and so far the speakers that I like the most are the Klipsch. I will go to more places. I know that there is a lot of good brands out there (paragim, B&W, martin logan...) and I will have to go and listen to them. Any recommendations?

What I find hard for me is to compare 2 speakers from 2 different stores. Within 1 store, I am able to find the one that I like the most. Then I go to store number 2 and I am unable to decide if the best speaker in store 1 is better than the best (for me) in store 2, I just can't remember. I don't know how you guys do it !!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the vinyl, if it is nicely done, I don't mind it, I am more interested in the sound. Of course, it would be nicer but you also have to pay more. The RF-82 is also vinyl, if you want wood veneer, you have to go with the RF-63 which are $800 more a pair. Axiom also offers a whole bunch of custom wood veneer at a premium cost ($1000 more for the whole 5.1). This is not critical for me.

Basically, I am looking for the best sounding 5.1 system that I can find under $3000.

Thanks everybody for your input. This is a great community.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10457
Bruno, if you have not yet checked out CAM

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

then do so.

The forum is a little wild, but no more than others.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1137
I've bought and sold off of CAM before. Generally it's a good group of guys (and gals).

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 3
Nice website, thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us