Steam cleaning records?

Username: Chad_parkhill

Post Number: 4
Having settled on a Pro-Ject Debut III with speedbox and preamp as my new TT system, I haven't got much money left to spend on cleaning products for my vinyls. However, I do have some secondhand LPs that really do need a good clean.

I was thinking to go for a Discwasher D4+ brush and solution, but I'm told that these are now manufactured in China, with a concomitant quality drop. I did, however, stumble across a page on the Mapleshade page advertising a steam cleaner (http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/deepcleaningsystem.php). A few audiophiles recommend their own homebrew systems of a similar nature.

My question is, then, has anyone here cleaned their vinyls with steam? Did you run into any problems? What kind of results did you get?

Cheers.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12759

Steam cleaning works well. You have to be careful and it can get messy - but LP cleaning is inherently messy anyway. I wouldn't bother with it for everyday cleaning but rather save it for those records that really need deep cleaning. I keep my supply of cleaning fluid moderately warm while I clean by using the microwave to hold the supply at a nice warm to the touch temperature.

I wouldn't pay $150 for what Mapleshade is offering.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us