Speaker recommendation 5 channels <$2500

Username: Hammer77

Post Number: 1
I'm a newbie and am putting together a new system that I'd like some advice for. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver VSX-92 with a Pioneer Elite DVD/CD changer DV -C36. My room is 15x 25 with cathedral ceiling. I listen at pretty moderate to low levels (apt living) and 75% of the time is TV/DVD, 25% is eclectic music (blues, rock).

I need 5 speakers to replace my very old Infinity's. I'd like towers in the front for about 900-$1300 for the pair while keeping the total package with the center and surrounds under $2500.

I've listened to 12 speakers and have eliminated Infinity , Polk, Boston Acoustic, Klipsch, Mirage, Def Tech, Kef. These speakers just didn't agree with my ears. Now I'm stuck between MA RS6, BW 683/684, Paradigm Monitor 9, Focal Chorus 714 / 716, PSB Image T55. They're all agreeable sounding, seem to have good reviews and reputation. I can't compare all at the same time, but have compared Paradigm next to the Focal and find the Paradigm's broader soundstage and bigger bass more appealing but the Focals sound a bit more detailed. I have also compared the B&W with the MA and find them both excellent, maybe a slight edge to MA with tighter bass and cleaner midrange. I can't compare the PSBs directly but I find their sound reminds me most of paradigms. Any suggestions between these or a different speaker I might consider? Anything physically bigger is out (wife will throw them out the window!).

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1075
Paradigm and PSB sound very similar to me, with the PSB being slightly beefier sounding.

Really hard to go wrong with MA.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10400
In my experience with PSB speakers, they employ crossovers that are demanding and heavy on losses.
The result is fine, but at the cost of low impedence, wide phase angles and heat loss.
But the results are good, given enough amp and source.
Mine work well, albeit at the cost of fossil fuels or nuclear waste byproducts.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1076
What Nuck said...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10407
And I smoked a few parts...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1077
Hey, what you do in the privacy of your own home is nobody's business...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7113
Except me...I'm the Government...I'm here to help....hand over that smoke...Oh sorry I lost my mind for a moment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10409
Crossovers, guys.

Kept tearing the paper, too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us