Sinclair Audio

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1062
Anyone ever heard of Sinclair speakers? I was in a shop today and listened to the BT36 floorstanders.

I was actually very surprised at how good they sounded, especially being driven by a crappy Yamaha HT receiver. But then again, things always sound different in the showroom.

Apparrently they're a Canadian company (well, Quebec - close enough) and made in China of course.

http://www.sinclairaudio.com/bt36.html

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7106
Are you sue they weren't delivered to the store in a white van...lol!

The website has that look....

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1064
lol, Art.

They did have that white van look about them, that's why I was surprised when I heard them.

I lifted them, and there's some heft to them, and rapping on the cabinets they don't sound cheap and hollow.

But they're kinda ugly, and it's hard to get past that.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1172
Sinclair is definatly not a white van speaker. They are owned by the same company (JAM Industries Ltd) that oversees Korg, the same company known for keyboards and pianos.

I doubt that they would be manufactured poorly, but they may be. I have never heard a pair but just did a little research.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7108
Gavin...it was my poor attempt at humor after looking at their website..

Hopefully you found that thread where David is asking about the KEF's...been busy last couple of days and haven't looked.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1173
I knew you were being sarcastic, but I was just making a point that if a company that makes musical instruments is making crappy speakers, than we are in trouble.

although I don't much care for yamaha's low end stuff, so I leave this open ended (not that I classify yamaha with the white van either).

thanks... I'll look for that thread now.

Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Yup. I have a Sinclair Audio HT setup. BT36 towers, SB250C centre, B15 rears with a Polk Audio sub. The Sinclair's are very clear and quite neutral. There is some engineering built into them i.e. woven fiberglass hybrid cones, real aluminum phase plugs, ferrofluid cooled diaphram and DALTech - kinda like Dynamat sound insulation. They've been owned and reviewed by the Editor of Canada HiFi Magazine. For what I got the set for, I'm laughing. Unless you're running a very expensive setup, these are great!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3093
Hmm, the question is whether Yamaha make musical instruments! :-) I for one wouldn't have a Yamaha piano if you threw it at me. I just dislike their tone. Not sure about their saxes and clarinets though, never tried them.

So Gavin, I'm not sure that your 'if they make musical instruments, they should make good HiFi equipment' argument stands up.

Post Number: 2
Frank, you're right. Just like different brands of instruments will appeal to different people, differenet brands of speakers will also appeal to different people. The Sinclair's may appeal to a certain audience, which would include people with varied experience and knowledge about audio. The Sinclair Brighton series are very competitive in their price range i.e. under $1000 for towers and negotiable from there. JAM industries and Erikson provide good customer support, which I've experience first hand and their involvement and history in the musical instrument design/manufacturing gives you confidence that they are insight and inroads to knowledge on speaker design/production. Ultimately if it sounds good and the price is good, and you've got a solid company behind it, then buy them. David seems to think they sounded good even on a crapy Yammy and that speaks wonders. They sound very good on my Onkyo 805. Cheers!

Post Number: 3
Oh, bye-the-way, here's the review on the new Sinclair Brighton series, from Canada HiFi Magazine. The writer of article is the editor in chief and did own the previous generation.
http://www.canadahifi.com/review90.php

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10570
Great input George, and welcome to the forum

Post Number: 4
Thanks Nuck!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10572
Ya mon.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3104
Interesting write-up. The speakers look like a cross between Monitor Audio and Tannoy Sensys for around the same money. I'm particularly taken with the surround speakers. Similar in principle to the M&K tripole with the THX style out of phase wall hugging drive units and the forward firing full-range ones at the front. I use M&Ks and can vouch for their effectiveness with surround. Interesting choice of design.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1198
They kinda remind me of Energy speakers, in look and sound quality.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1201
You should post some pics of your rig over in the System Pics thread George.

Post Number: 5
Yeah, I'll try to do that soon. Maybe this weekend. Thank's for the interest.

Silver Member

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 168
I was just surfing and found this article on the previous model to my Sinclairs. I have the new/improved Brighton Series. There is a comparative reference to the Quad22, which I found interesting. I like the sound of my speaks but really haven't had to opportunity to unleash them with a real 2-channel amp. Happy reading:
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/sinclair-brighton.html

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1575
I'd be curious to hear your Sinclairs with some really good amplification (Hmmmm, Bryston maybe?). Like I mentioned before, I demoed them with just Yamaha A/V receiver and they sounded really good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
Dave, it's in the plans, just when, I don't know. I've seen some good prices on Bryston on CAM and have been tempted. Maybe with year end coming around but the banks are taking a real kicking in this market...I guess everyone is.

I'd love to do an A/B comparison of the Sinclairs to something reference - just to get an idea of how they really stack up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Oh Dave, BTW, did you demo those Sinclairs at a little private shop or one of those brand name stores. Could you offer up the name of the store? Do they carry any higher end stuff?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10956
George, if you are mobile, can you take the speakers to a buddies place to try them out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Nuck,

They are large - 48 inches tall, about 16 inches deep and weigh about 50 lbs each - massive towers. If your buddy is relatively close, I may be able to drop them in my Jeep and hall them over for a listen. Is your buddy on eCoustics?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1576
I demoed them at Bleeker (a small chain here in Ottawa). They carry a weird mish-mash of stuff. The typical fodder plus Mission and some rather esoteric Tannoys, and the odd trade-ins.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1578
Can you put wheels on them George?

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Yup Dave,

Erikson Consumer is the distributor in Canada for Mission, HK, JBL, Infinity, Fatman, Roth Audio, Arcam, Audio Technica etc. The Sinclair brand is their own housebrand - with a low cost / high value market in mind.
Here's the link to Erikson:
http://www.eriksonconsumer.com/

Therefore, dealers that have Sinclair usually have their other brands as well. Bay and Bloor audio has considered carrying them, as I was informed by two different salesmen there on two different occassions but they've decided to hold back since it doesn't quite fit with their portfolio of products and their typical clients.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10958
It aint a freebie, George, but if you have them in the Jeep anyhow, you can haul down to Brantford this weekend and try out the Classe.

I have the bbq and a beer fridge.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Nuck - you meeting up with a friend in Brantford to try your Classe amps on his setup? What's he running.
I'm not sure my wife will let me out of the house this weekend. We've got fixing up to do and cleanup - we may be listing our house in the next couple weeks. If it was close by i.e. 15 - 20 minutes drive, I may have been able to get away.
BBQ and beer is always tempting and along with testing gear, sounds like heaven.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1579
Thwack! That's the sound of George's wife cracking the whip. lol. I can only say that cause I'm in the same boat.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10964
Sorry I misspoke, George.
I was suggesting that you bring the speaks here to try them out.

Another time, my friend...wait till I have the ca300's in mono block, then we can see some real action!

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Sounds hot - literally. Your wouldn't blow my X-overs on me now Nuck, would ya? LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10965
You get the comm, George.
Huge amounts of available clean solid power is kinda addictive.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us