Amp Recommendation for Monitor Audio RS6

Bronze Member
Username: Jbrealty

Post Number: 11
I decided to change my speakers first ... so Im replacing the Wharfedales with RS6's. I am thinking Cambridge Audio for synergy with my CD player and they also have great reviews.

Any one have any experiece with the Cambridge amps running Monitor Audio RS6s? I was think the 640a v2? But may consider the 740 and 840 too ... think they would benefit from a 740 or 840 instead?

I would like to still use the REL T1 with the final set up ... think this will sound good? Any recommndations on where to cross the REL over with the RS6s?

Thanks!!!
(curious to see how the 720bee does with the RS6s till I get a Cambridge amp :-)

Current Specs:

Audio:
NAD C720BEE Stereo Amplifier
Cambridge Audio 640c V2
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Monitors
REL T1 Subwoofer
Blue Jeans LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Bi-wired
Sanus 26" Steel Monitor Stands

Specs on the incomming rs6s:

Frequency Response: 38 Hz - 30 KHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 91 dB
Nominal Impedance:
6 Ohms
Power Handling (RMS):
120 W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS):
40 - 120 W
Tweeter Crossover Frequency: 3 KHz
Drive Unit Compliment: 1 x 6" C-CAM® Bass, 1 x 6" C-CAM® Bass Mid-range. 1 x 1" (25 mm) gold dome C-CAM® tweeter.
Cabinet Design: Balanced velocity twin reflex ported
Product External Dimensions:
(H x W x D) 850 x 185 x 250 mm
33 1/2 x 7 1/4 x 9 7/8 inch
Plinth Dimensions:
(H x W x D)

25 x 255 x 305 mm
(1 x 10 x 12 Inch)
Individual Weight: 18 Kg (39.6 lb)

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1049
I think pretty much anything will go with the RS6 - they're easy to drive.

I was using 2 bridged NAD 272's recently. That sounded alright, altough it wasn't really my cup of tea.

I upgraded to Bryston. Now this is a match made in heaven.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
which bryston? thats a pricey option ...

think the cambridge would sound nice w these?

would a creek classic be better?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1055
Yeah, Bryston is pricey - but worth it. You can pick up a used 3B for under 1k, though.

I'm a CA fan. I think it would sound pretty good with the RS6.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Im thinking the CA 840a v2 would be a great match up ...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1057
I think it would be too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Any experience with the Exposure 2010S with the RS6 or otherwise? Would this be a great match up?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7104
The Exposure is an excellent amp. I would think that they go together well...however I've not listened to them together.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 302
I worked for 6 months last year in a store that sold Monitor Audio as well as Cambridge, and Rel as well so have heard them quite a bit together.

Cambridge no problem but the best match with the RS6 to my ear was the Cayin A-88T and Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2,

Crossover is impossible to say, depends on how far out you have the RS6's and where you happen to be sitting. Get a Radioshack SPL meter and test tones, or just trust your ears.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I decided on the Exposure 2010s Integrated.

I just hope my CDP can keep up with the system now :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Arturgorniak

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 28
Be carefull with your choices as these speakers might sound bright with wrong electronics. I think they would be on the bright side with Exposure and Creek......even thou many people recommend Creek/RS6 combination and they thrilled with it!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10431
JB, that is a safe call. As for the cdp, update your system profile, Dude, just makes it easier.

et al...update your system profiles, please!

Except Art, liquidity has it's limitations. Jabs Art with a stick.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7154
How true...I just updated last week and it's already out of date...dagnabbit!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
here is my system:

Audio:
Exposure 2010S Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge Audio 640c V2
Monitor Audio Silver RS6
REL T1 Sub Bass System
Blue Jeans LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, Bi-wired

is there a way to post this permanently under my user name? Ill have to figure that out ...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1112
Click on the "Edit Profile" profile link near the top left hand corner of the page.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
ah ok thanks ... I figured it out now :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1118
"Be carefull with your choices as these speakers might sound bright with wrong electronics."

You are right on the money with this one, Arthur. I tried my RS6s with my Rotel and it was dreadful. Tinny and harsh.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 1636
David- I can totally see the Rotel/MA combo being very bad.lol. The MA speakers lean toward the bright side if paired with a bright sounding amp, and Rotel can easily bring this quality out in them.

Bronze Member
Username: Arturgorniak

Allentown, PA US

Post Number: 30
Well.....I think the Exposure is not counted as "WARM" amp!!!! So it all boils down to personal preference....to be honest I have listened to many speakers and non that has metal dome as tweeter will satisfy my ears.......If I was make my speaker choice again I would go with Dynaudio!!!!!! Ten years ago I was distributor of Exposure in Poland and this company was never my favorite one. It has excellent PRAT but it is also very dry (not smooth) at the same time. I do not have any experience with 2010 or 3010 but I would assume it would follow the same pattern ........ so JB I would really like to hear your opinion regarding your setup after you burn your new amp in........ also I would never suggest buying equipment strictly based on reviews - the worst thing you can do ( I made that mistake once...)

I would assume RS6 would work perfectly with Tubes (PrimaLogue One)........or Cayin 88T as BVAN suggested!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I had the system set up, but one of the RS6s wasnt working right ... sounded like the tweeter was out and the other drivers were playing very low ... so had to send that speaker back :-( guess it will be a bit longer to test this set up ...

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10491
Rats!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Got everything set up. I am liking the exposure/rs6 synergy ... sounds great :-) I m playing with it in my medium sized bedroom for now in a week or so Ill have it all moved to a nice sized open living room ... I'll report back when all is set up and dialed in :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1187
Did you get the defective speaker replaced?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I sent it back to the dealer and they said it was a cracked circuit board ... they replaced it ... seems fine now ... it was a dealer demo still under mfg warranty ... they said they replaced with MA parts ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us