Getting back into vinyl

Username: Danonc

Post Number: 9
Hi all,
I've been considering getting a turntable for a couple of years now and I think I'm ready to actually take the plunge. I could spend around $500. I'm considering
1) a Pro-ject debut 3, possibly with the addition of a speed box 2) a Rega P2 with a fairly inexpensive Grado cartridge (a bit over my budget) or 3) an NAD refurb 555 from Spearit Sound for $450.

I don't have a way to compare these side by side (or even to audition a Pro-ject or NAD table before I buy it). I can drive a couple of hours and audition Rega tables in Portland.

I guess one of the things that is really important to me is speed stability, because I play a lot of music and am always learning new songs off of cd's. I would think that a turntable that ran, say 1% fast would be a pain in terns of always having to retune instruments.

Thanks in advance,
Dan J
Corvallis OR

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12737

If you need absolute speed stability and accuracy, buy a Technics direct drive table. Belt drives in your price range will not have the same speed stability and they will tend to run a bit fast but will probably sound somewhat better overall.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7092
For $500 in Portland I would talk to Kurt at Echo Audio. He can get you into a Music Hall 2.2 with Speed Box and leave you with change to run over to Everyday to pick up a handful good used vinyl. Hi Dan...why didn't we ever hook up...I'm having a garage sale this Saturday (part of the annual College Green Neighborhood sale) here in Albany and inviting audio folk to show and I'll demo my (very small) systems...If you are interested PM me.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10379
I need to get to one af Art's jumble sales...

Not often you see a yard sale that takes trade ins!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7096
No trade ins this time Nuck...specific goal...trying to make enough to buy my wife a new amp...aiming for an NAD C325BEE from Jim at NWAL. Perfect little amp for her system and he'll take the old NAD separates he sold me back in for trade.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us