Receiver set up

Username: Chochar

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

Here is my dilemma:

I bought a receiver Yamaha HTR 6080 about month and a half ago and a DVD player Philips DVP 5982 around the same time. I hooked them up with 7 speakers JBL and TV Panasonic. I use HDMI cables for connection between the TV, receiver and the DVD. Here is the problem. The receiver plays only 2 channels. It can not detect 5.1 or 7.1 channel when I play 5.1, or 7.1 movies or music. When I play movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound the receiver displays only 2 channels and the sound is coming out of only the front speakers and should display 5 channels and should play surround sound. I tried everything. Try different DVD player, try digital audio coax cable, set up on the receiver, on the DVD, called twice Yamaha tech. support (worthless by the way) and Philips tech support (worthless as well) but no luck. Yamaha told me that the receiver can detect only as many channels as it gets from the source (the DVD), and there are no extra settings on the receiver for that, Philips said there has to be some settings with the receiver and so on...back and forth for a month. I am tired of it. Could anyone please help me with this issue? I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3039
Ivaylo,

It's possible that your DVD player is set to output just stereo from the HDMI port. It should be set to bitstream, not PCM.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us