Looking for front speakers ($1000-2000 range)

Username: Lokeyq3

New York

Post Number: 3
I recently purchased a Yahmaha RX-V663 A/V. I'm trying to build a home theatre system and want fronts that will also give quality music (mostly contemp. and tradit. jazz). I really like B&W 683 fronts. Are they pretty compatible with the RX?

If I get the B&W's should I also look for the same brand rears?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3020
Sherman

It's quite usual to recommend that you use same range speakers front centre and rear, and if not same range at least the same brand because that brand has a tendency to voice their speakers in the same way (there are exceptions but B&W is not one of them). Therefore, if you went with the 683s, it's best to go with one of the matching centre speakers (the centre is the most important speaker in the surround environment) and 68x rears (whichever). If you don't want large speakers at the back or if the surround sound is very much second fiddle to listening to music then you could go for the little M1s for centre and rear or you could stick with the 6-series centre and M1 rears.

If you chose a different brand of speaker, then research their ranges and work out a similar kind of dynamic. for example, if you looked at Focal (and I suggest you do), then their competing Chorus 700V range has similar speakers to the 68x series and you can buy their smaller Sib or Sib XL speakers for centre and rears. The Focals are easier to drive which may help your Yamaha. The B&Ws are a bit more difficult to drive so if you go with them, try to get a demo with your Yamaha to ensure the combination works well.

As for subwoofers for surround sound, B&W's best sub is their PV1 in my view. It surpasses all their other subs by far (including their more expensive models)and is a very good match with B&W speakers. If you choose the Focals or any other, I find Velodyne to be a very good match since they're very fast subs with very little character of their own.

Regards,
Frank.

New York

Post Number: 5
What makes the Yahmaha 663 a questionable receiver in terms of pushing the 683's?
By the way I will try the Focals if I can find a retailer that carries them here. The place I am currently shopping carries just about everything (McK's, Rotel, etc). Although they stopped selling Adcom. They said they aren't as good as they used to be.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3024
Sherman,

The Yamaha is simply not in the same ballpark as the speakers. Just look at the price and that's a good indication for starters. The Yamaha is probably an excellent machine in its price range. I haven't seen any reports on it yet, but it's highly specified for the price. That said, when one looks closely at the numbers, one sees that the amplifier section is a little limited and one wonders what the power supply (the heart of the beast) is capable of.

Add the fact that the B&Ws are really not very easy to drive and the numbers stack up against the combination being successful. one thing you may wish to consider is holding onto the Adcom power amp and seeing if that in combination with the Yamaha might help things along. Of course, this would make the preamp that much more difficult to sell.

What's an McK?

Frank.

New York

Post Number: 6
Oh, "Mck" was referring to McIntosh.

Well, I haven't hooked up the Yahmaha yet. I could always send it back (purchased it from a A/V store out of Atlanta, GA) and look at that Rotels again. I just didn't want to spend $1k for both the speakers and amp. or pre-amp.
Hey, any knowledge on the Bryston 9B ST THX amp? I picked up one at an auction a while back but have not hooked it up to anything yet.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10360
Why not?

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 11
Nuck,

The only thing I have right now to run with it are a pair of old Bose 6.2's. Which is why I am in the market for new speakers now. I'm trying to build a theatre system. However, I would like speakers that also offer good sound. Which is why I was looking at the B&W 683. I'm a little skeptical now because I keep hearing bad reviews about them from this forum.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3031
Sherman,

You keep hearing bad things about them from me! Nobody else. So bear in mind it's only one person's point of view, even if I am a very important person! :-)

I can't help feeling I've misled you a bit - the 683s have some nice features about their sound and a lot of people do like them. If you plug in the Bryston and drive them with that, it should do a good job.

You've heard the 683s, probably on the end of a McIntosh. now, McIntosh amps have a lot of power and drive, as does the Bryston, so perhaps it would be a good combination. Difficult to say.

Yes, I prefer Focals but this is MY preference, and if you don't have access to them locally you can't get them.

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 12
I believe they were running off a Yahmaha RX-V1800. I will double check today when I stop there today to pick up a Pro-Ject Phono Box I ordered.

Bronze Member
Username: Kothrush

Post Number: 23
Try to consider Focals and Cantons. Before purchasing my front floor standing speakers, I went and listened to B&W 683s, Focal 700V series, Canton GLE/Chrono series, Paradigms and PSBs. All around appox. $1500/pair. It was a close race between B&W, Canton and Focals at the end for me.

I went few times to the dealer to listen to all three before deciding as I could not decide in first 2 times. They all were sounding great as such. Finally, the last audition gave little edge to Focals for the the kind of music I listen to , so I got those.

Although , note that all of those speakers were hooked up to NAD T775 (I also own NAD), which has much higher/cleaner sound characteristics than yamaha/denon receiver at least for my ears and many other reviews too.

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 17
Thanks Kothrush.

I did go with the 683's. Unfortunately, they do not have the Cantons or Focals in my area (Western New York). Tried the Paradigms and Definitives.

I have them hooked up and am not disappointed.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3038
Sherman,

At least you got to hear them against some competition and that helps make one's mind up enormously I find. Enjoy!

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

New York

Post Number: 21
Frank, you're right. Although I did not have the opportunity to test them against Focals or Revels since there is no dealer in this area.

Now, I am considering returning my Yahmaha RX-V663 receiver for either the V863 or V1800. Both offer two additional HDMI inputs. The V663 has two. Unless I learn that the components inputs can be utilized just as effeciently I probably will exchange it.

I have satelite dish, a DLP 46" Television and plan on upgrading from a Sony DVD/VCR unit to a blue-ray player.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3041
Sherman,

Sounds like you're on the right track. On the Blu-ray front, we're a touch early. New players are about to be launched on the market as I write so don't jump too hastily. Me? I use a PS3, but it has its limitations. Sonically, it can't output unpacked TrueHD or Master Audio. It can send uncompressed PCM which is supposedly just as good. To be honest I'm not convinced by any of these new higher resolution formats, but we'll see. If you want to guarantee the best possible format resolutions then a player capable of BOTH DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD is required. Hitherto there have been a lot of players that will not do both, but it's important to get both for least hassles.

Personally, I'll stick with my PS3 for now (I don't play games). It does me...

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us