Archive through April 08, 2008

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5871
Some new speaker stands for the B&W's and a bit of a new configuration....try this again!

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1007
Nice pics Art!

What's that single speaker off to the right a prelude to?

Is that hockey pucks under the speaker wire?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5873
I knew somebody would catch those pucks...it's all I have for now..and it works (not as well other isolation as the hockey pucks tend to deaden everything they touch..a bit too much).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5874
Oh and the single speaker is a Boston A120 and the right channel of the HT.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 177
Love the hockey pucks Art. Great pics too!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 953
Very Nice Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5877
Thanks...pumpin' out some great tunes tonight!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9554
Attaboy, Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5884
My wife is playing her newly reconfigured system this morning (soon to be afternoon).

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2382
Great pics and gear Art. Also, thanks for reviving the thread.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1612
Wow nice pics guys I gotta get some of mine up!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4781
Nice, Art!

What's the CD? Looks familiar but I can't read it from here!

You have 5.1 for music and 2-channel for movies....?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5910
John A

It's

Takemitsu
A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden
Spirit Garden
Dreamtime
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Marin Alsop, Conductor
Naxos

Bronze Member
Username: Hoanghai2k

Melbourne, VIC Australia

Post Number: 35
my bedroom sys, Denon PMR880R, Marantz SA8260 and old jamo E series( about to change)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1123
New 3B:
These pics suck, I will take more later and get up close to the Bryston. I really want to show how good of shape this thing is really in.

Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 664
It looks great, Nick!

I'll bet it sounds better than it looks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1124
Thanks Stryvn.Sounds amazing. Rock music really rocks now. Very fast, very tight, and open and clear. I love it.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 632
Awesome Nick!

You're one lucky bugger... someday I too will own a Bryston.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1126
Thanks Dave. My Rack doesn't match anymore with the same brands..lol..but when I listen to it now I forget all about the WAF. Keep your eyes open for a used 3B or 4B. You could always sell both NAD's that would pay for a 10 year old Bryston. You would only need ONE bryston.lol. Cheers Dave.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 633
Yup. Gonna pay off my CA CDP first... then I'll keep my eyes open for a used 4B. Even though I swore to my wife I was done (for now).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
LOL I swore that so many times now. Its an addiction. Were never done.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2458
Nick,

Wait till you get a Bryston Pre-amp. The music will open up even more, get faster, tighter, and cleaner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1129
For sure Stu- I am keeping my eyes open.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2459
Nick-
Is the 3B plugged in to the Monster conditioner? If so, try it pluged into the wall. If you've got warantee left, don't worry about power surge damage. I'm 99.99999% sure Bryston covers it under their warantee.

The Monster conditioner will suck the dynamics out of it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1131
Stu- I tried that tonight, and thought the Monster almost cleaned it up a bit to be honest. I only listened to Diana Krall while changing it back and forth so I will do more testing. Here is the thing, ever since I moved into this old house I have constantly battled Ground Loops. I have it all cleared up, but when I plugged the Bryston just into a regular power bar(The cable is too short to reach)and power the amp on, a hum is there in the speakers. Only can be heard when no music is playing of course. When I plug that Bryston back into the Amp section of the Monster, it is dead quiet. Any ideas? Might be the crappy power bar I grabbed. I just grabbed it for temporary use until I got a nice short heavy duty extension cable. Let me know what you think.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1132
The amp was sold in 1991. So I have three years left. Bryston service department told me next time I am in the area to drop the amp off. The said they will look it over for free of course, but said from what I described the amp is working perfectly.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6189
Awesome pics Nick. Love the Bryston...now how about the wide angle shot...lol!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 636
I unplugged my NADs from the Monster condition and it seemed to make a difference. Not that NAD is anywhere close to being the same league as your Bryston.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1134
Art- lol Thanks. More pics to come. Im pulling out the Fuji in the morning and will take some full system day time pics and post them pronto.

David- Yeah it should, even Bryston told me to plug it into a wall. The power here is so brutal though, im going to try a few things to see if I can accomplish eliminating the hum while being plugged into a wall outlet or none power center unit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1135
David- I still really like the C272. IMO for 800 dollars Cdn retail its a killer. I can hear a clear difference going to the Bryston, although my wife claims she can't tell the difference... lol..how could she not..check out my rant over in the Amp section. Share some similar stories.lol.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1088
Nice pick up Nick. You really are putting together a sweet kit. I agree with David about the amp should be plugged into a wall.

It might be worth your while to see what an electrician would charge for a dedicated circuit cut in behind your rack. Might not be as bad as you think.

FWIW I recall Malloy posting some hospital grade outlets a little while back.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1138
Thanks Michael. I will look into it. I will ask at work to see if someone would be willing to do it for a case of beer or something.lol. I am definitely going to work on getting it plugged into the wall.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2461
"The amp was sold in 1991. So I have three years left."

The original sold date isn't the start of the warantee. There is a date code stamped somewhere on the back. The warantee goes by that date.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1140
Stu- Thats what I meant, sorry. Should have said BUILT in 1991. March to be exact. lol Talked to Brian Russel today at Bryston. Awesome guy, totally helpful and super nice. He gave me a couple ideas of how to kill that Hum I was getting when plugged into the wall. Tried the first thing he had told me, and bam, no more hum. Turns out it was my Satellite line coming into my system. Bell is coming out to put an isolation box in. Which they should have done in the first place as it is mandatory. And if Bell Canada fail, which they probably will because they are complete morons, then Brian at Bryston said to get this little guy.

http://www.xantech.com/products/ir_products/063400.htm

Its like 10 bucks and kills any ground loop coming from a Satallite/Cable line.

He was saying 95 percent of all these Hum problems people blame on their equipment are caused by none isolated/grounded Cable/Satellite lines coming into their house. Amen to that. Cheers.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2465
The Bryston guys are great to deal with. Very knowledgable, friendly, they talk like normal human beings, and they're very enthusiastic. It doesn't get better than that.

On another note, how great is it to buy a piece that's 17 years old and still have warantee and support? How many manufacturers would say drop it off and we'll look it over (for free) even though they didn't actually make a dime from you?

This is a big part of why I went the Bryston route.

Silver Member
Username: Kevincorr

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 401
This thread always makes me jealous :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6200
You have killer gear Kevin...stuff makes great music...and oh great music gets played on it!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: James_lehmann

Post Number: 36
Can someone explain to me how you place a photo in a post.

It just doesn't seem logical captain!

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 408
1- You need to shrink the pic first with a program like this:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

2- Now just click the box below here under Action: Upload Image...
So if you have put your shrunk pic in an easy to find location like the desktop or where ever you want, you find it quickly and go.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1142
Kevin Corr-Jealous? Your crazy man, your system rocks.

Stu- Totally agree with you. I have harassed Brian the last two days and he is so very patient with me. He talks like a human, and isn't afraid to tell you what he thinks. In a polite way of course. That and their a family owned business, so it seems that if you talk to someone else they already know what the other guy already said. Amazing.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 409
Thanks. Well it is good with monitor speakers, but some day I will get those really great speakers.
There is so much awesome gear out there.

Bronze Member
Username: Msgtpogi

NJ

Post Number: 22
Christopher Lee- nice system but in the wrong room. The Maggies need room to breathe. I guarantee that you are not getting the full effect. I own Acoustat electrostats and am very familiar with Maggies as my bro and several friends own SMG, MG-1 and MG-3. Once they are given room, you'll understand why music lovers have kept Magnepan around for years.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1161
Another shot coming, just wanted to say that I got the Bryston plugged into the wall. An instant improvement again. Also recommended to me if I wanted something that wouldn't suck any life from the amp but would protect it from spikes was a cheap Panamax floor power bar. So I went and got one. Right now the 3B is plugged into it.

Bronze Member
Username: Scorpio1

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 68
Enjoying my new Naim gear and Chorus 807V's. Here is a pic of my simple setup. Thanks to all for advice and input over the last few months.

Upload

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1096
Nick,

Does is sound better plugged into the power bar?

If it does not, well I doubt the power bar is going to save your amp from a whole lot, so you might just want to leave it in the wall and turned on all the time except for during thunderstorms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9770
Good setup Ed.
Wow those are BIG standmounts, huh?

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 69
Thanks Nuck. They are just a lil. Almost 18" tall. I need to pick up my NACA5 cable form my dealer this Monday. Thinking about adding a sub a used sub and then work my way up to the Electras in the JM Lab line. Really loving that sound...

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2478
Thanks to James Tanner of Bryston, I found this internal pic of a Bryston B60.

Upload

I wanted to open mine up and see it for my own amusement, but I'm a little too paranoid to do it. The stock photo is good enough for me.

I haven't added any pics since I started the thread, so I figured I was due. One of these days I'll take a picture of my speaker cable project and my Dynavector 10x5 and post those as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1172
Thats sick Stu. Very nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
Alright Art, wide shots bud.lol.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1174
Since my first post at Ecoustics, I have:

1.) Added a second stand
2.) Sold NAD DVD player for Blu-Ray player
3.) Sold NAD CD player for Rega Apollo
4.) Sold NAD C272 for Bryston 3B

The journey continues.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2480
Those aren't the Magic Pebbles on your coffee table, are they?

Randy Warren would be proud.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1175
LOL!!!! Floating candles..I know...thats what the lady brings to the living room. I bring a Bryston, she brings magic pebbles.lol. To each their own I guess.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 651
Very nice setup Nick!

Are you in a house or an apartment? The neighbours must really appreciate your kit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1177
Just renting a duplex at the moment. Looking to buy after the wedding. Not overly fond of the place were in right now. But its cheap and was available in a gorgeous area. My neighbour has Bryston and Klipch setup.lol Ironic he is my neighbour.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 652
Looks like a nice place. Funny that your neighbour is into the hobby too. At least he can understand your need to crank it sometimes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6244
Love those big Paradigms Nick..when you get tired of 'em you know where to send 'em.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 654
Nick, do you find the sub on the bottom shelf of the rack causes it to rattle or vibrate? I guess if they're good quality racks, they shouldn't do that, huh?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6247
The sub should't be on the rack...however we put stuff where we can fit it.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 655
I'm guilty of that, Art.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
LOL Thanks Art, you will be the first one to know. Where the sub is right now is probably the all out worse location I can have it in. My Stand does do a great job of isolating the vibration. When I place my hand on top of the Blu Ray player I feel no vibration. That said, as far as the sub being in the wrong spot. It is. The best spot would be at the bottom of the stairwell leading upstairs that can not be seen in the pictures. But the wife would kill me. Speakers would benefit large by not being in a corner. Of course this is all just temporary. The pictures make everything look so small in comparison to seeing the stuff in person.lol. Art knows how big those speakers are though. 47 inches tall, 19 inches deep and 14 inches wide and weight 103 pounds a piece. Needless to say I am not moving them until I actually move.lol.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1819
The new edition to the family, the Infinity Primus P362. I've been itching for a pair of floorstanders, but I've been a little tight on cash and really couldn't justify spending more at this time, so picked up a pair for about $250, and I have to tell you, they're really good. Out of the box these things are silky smooth, transparent, and while bass is not huge, it is really well integrated. I'm still fussing around with placement, but imaging is nice too. They really remind me of the Monitor Audio RS6.

Upload

The Beta 20 are now in my spare room with my Marantz gear, where I do most of my critical listening.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6318
Very cool Christopher. I'll bet they sound good. The Primus series is underrated..and they're rated pretty well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1210
Awesome Chris. Infinity make a very well balanced speaker.Bravo.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1120
Chris, your profile has about as much stuff as mine. What are you pairing them with? Sorry for not following.

Silver Member
Username: Luxendel

Gondelsheim, Baden-Württe... Germany

Post Number: 110
Art,

what are those pucks for???

Should the cables not lie on the floor???

Gold Member

Post Number: 1821
Mike, the P362 are with an HK3485 & HK DVD37. Harman all around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1822
undressed...

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1212
Sexy lookin.

Bronze Member
Username: Amish

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 41
I thought I'd post my modest HT system. The room itself is a 'still in progress' room. It is a converted 'detached' garage that we made into an entertainment room. To the left of the TV is a desk with two computers, dual monitors and a 20g fresh water tank. This will all be moved to the rear of the room. The desk will be replaced with a new desk that matches the other wood pieces in the room. I will then shift the tv to the center of the wall and mount it. the speakers will be placed farther apart to provide a more spacious sound field. The entertainment stand will be given away and I will get something thinner and cleaner looking. The love seat will be replaced with a full leather couch. I'm running DCM KX6 surrounds until my Infinity Beta 20's show up. The LCD is 37" 1080p Westinghouse that will be replaced with a 50"+ 1080P LCD later this year. I'm looking at Toshiba right now. For now though this is it...

Dish Networks ViP 722 HD DVR
Onkyo TX-SR605
Sony PS3
Infinity Beta 40 fronts
Infinity Beta C360 center
DCM KX6 rears
Hsu VTF2-MK3
Rockford 12 guage speaker wires.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1219
Right on Chuck very nice setup. Love the look of those Infinity's. PS3 for blu-ray or gaming or both?lol I see Blu-Ray has officially won the war as of today, as the remaining companies and movie deals that were left with HD DVD left them and signed blu ray.Badda Bing!!!!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6330
Nice setup Chuck. May want to get the display off of the center channel...vibration and all.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2490
He's going to mount the TV on the wall and buy a new stand.

Great system and pics Chuck.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2491
Is that a real guitar, or a Guitar Hero controller?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6333
Guess I should have read it...

Bronze Member
Username: Amish

Riverside, CA

Post Number: 42
Thanks Art & Stu. Yeah this is only temp until I can get a mount. (very soon). Right now I'm keeping the volume low so I don't hurt anything. I did place about 1/2 inch thick slab of soft rubber between the LCD and Center speaker while I wait for a mount.

Those are two guitar hero III controlers. 35 years old and still a kid. lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 9817
Ain't we all?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 6336
Yep...well some of us only wish we were 35 yrs old...lol!

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1842
I sure do!

Platinum Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1230
Earlier Nuck had problems posting his pics. CM and I were among those more than willing to help him with that by posting pics on his behalf.

Then he did a fine job once he figured that out.

Lately he has been out trolling and it appears to be going as good as his posting pics started out. So here I am again on his behalf posting his pic.

I think he needs to keep trolling, what do y'all think?

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1889
I can't tell who's the better lookin'.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1847
What in the name of all that is sacred is that abomination in his hands!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10013

Thems good eatin!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1329
lol yummy. FWIW Moving to the new house May 30th and will post new pics of the new basement setup. BOING!!!

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2611
I got this pic of a B60's innerds from a thread I started on Audiocircle's Bryston circle. I'd say my money was well spent on my B60. True beauty comes from within.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 298
i'm having trouble posting pics as well. got some new Hawthorne Sterling Silver Iris speakers that I just finished building and thought I would post. 15" coaxial, the bees knees.

who's that with the fish, is it Nuck? I'm an avid spearo and freediver myself though I've never shot anything nearly as ugly as that. Looks a bit like a mud sucking coelacanth :-)

b.

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 515
Did you shrink your pics first?

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Silver Member

Fairbanks, Alaska Usa

Post Number: 516
btw, someone posted pics of Castle Severn speakers like in my bedroom. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1212630409
They sound very good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1337
Stu that pic gets me all excites like a school girl at her first sleep over...lol is that so wrong? God I love Bryston's engineering. Look at that thing. So much went into such a small space, brilliant.

Silver Member
Username: Bvan

Post Number: 299
trying againUpload

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1232
Bvan,

Nice work. They look wonderful. It appears you have given your room some attention too. I bet that love seat / sofa is a great place to sit!

BTW if that is not Nuck with that monstrosity then it is his twin...

Silver Member

PA USA

Post Number: 105
Some pics of my new speakers.Upload
Upload
Upload

And one closeup of the Naim kit
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 218
Bvan, love your room and kit ! Looks like a great place to sit back and listen to tunes.

Ed, great looking speaks. And pretty able looking stands as well.

Stu, I wouldn't care if there was a hamster inside that B60 as long as the results were the same. I've never read a bad bit of print for that unit.

Silver Member

PA USA

Post Number: 106
Thanks Chris H. Contemplating filling them with sand or chaning to some Sound Anchors in a few weeks. Got the idea from Art's pics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1850
Bvan, those are real nice, care to post some impressions?

Ed W., ditto.

Silver Member

PA USA

Post Number: 107
Chris M.

A little of my first impressions

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/464231.html

They are getting better and I will fill the stands with sand this weekend (hopefully) and see what differences good/bad I find.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 693
Stu,

Is that a picture of how the UPS guy delivered your Bryston to your door?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2616
LOL. That's pretty good Stryvn. I made sure that the seller had specified a signature required when it was delivered, and it couldn't have been more beneficial. If my memory serves me correctly, they attempted to deliver it sometime around 10 AM on a heavy rain day. If it hadn't required a signature, it would have sat out in the rain for about 6 hours.

I got pretty worked up when the left some albums out in the rain. I can't imagine how I would have reacted if they left my B60 outside.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10027
Probly in the usual Postal fashion, Stu.
Naww, you would just figure-4 the guy into submision.

Cool!

I will find the cam 2nite

Cause the kit is back in action!

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 822
You got the rig set up again, Nuck?

Good to hear!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts