Rega R3 or R5

Username: Batonwielder

Post Number: 5
Hello. I've auditioned both of these speakers and I just can't decide! My room is about 12'x14' and listen mostly to classical music. Which do you think is more suited to my listening space and taste? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7023
The 3 should do very well in your listening room. I have the 5's and use them in a larger room. I've said before that the primary reason I bought the 5 over the 3 is that I had an audio store credit to use up, the 5 allowed me to complete the transaction. The 3's are a great little speaker, enjoy!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3010
Alexander,

I take it that you've auditioned the speakers in the store but not at home. If so, I'd go for the 3's. They have a lighter touch with less bass than the 5, and they also have lower box colouration in the mid-bass. Also, in a 12x14 room, the speakers probably have to live close to a rear wall, in which case the 5's will excite the boundaries quite a bit whereas the 3's will not.

However, I'm a little concerned on one front. The 3's have a fairly small presentation. 'Classical' covers many sins. If you're into Mahler and Wagner, then you will miss some of the scale and weight that the 5's give you. I also like classical music, but I prefer piano concertos and the romantics like Debussy and Ravel which are more about orchestral interplay. In this the 3's would be preferable I think.

Difficult choice, but overall I would prefer the 3s.

Incidentally, you could ask your dealer if you could try the speakers at home. Some dealers do this. The difference may be enough to help you make a decision.

Username: Batonwielder

Post Number: 6
The 3's would sit way below my listening height. Are they voiced with such a low height in mind, or would I have to put something underneath and bring them up to my listening height?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7035
Used the spikes to tilt them slightly or place them on home made plinths.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3018
They are designed to be listened to at the height they're at. Some people like to tilt them slightly backwards but I never really felt this to be necessary -perhaps this is a sign I'm losing my high frequency acuity. :-(

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7036
Not sure that is accurate...perhaps. However the same midrange and high frequency drivers are employed for both the R3 and R5 and they are different heights...hmm. I would say that you want the tweeter lower than your ear with these speakers. At least that has been my experience.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1164
"perhaps this is a sign I'm losing my high frequency acuity"

have you been tested recently?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7037
I'm sure Frank's hearing is fine...hmmm...he does like a bit hotter sound than alot of folks...Frank are ya ok man? ...lol...just giving ya a hard time Frank.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10356
Do the upper drivers have a great north/south dispersion field?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7039
Not really Nuck. Certainly not compared to my Epos. What I've always like about my Rega's is that they are a very simple design...nothing fancy...no special tweeter that fills the room side-to-side and top-to-bottom. Just straight forward music man that's all ya get.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3022
Hmmm,

I haven't been tested in years, but if anyone wants to try themselves out, have a look here:

http://www.freemosquitoringtone.org/

I tested it out on my laptop with my Sennheizer PXC250s and could only hear up to 16.7khz which ain't bad for a 44yo. Of course, the test isn't scientific since nobody knows how good the replay system is.

And no, I'm not OK. I'm depressed. I'm going in on Tuesday for a knee operation, just a minor op to sort out some torn cartilege. And what's worse? That same day, the shop is having a Naim open day with a top of the line Naim active system (with my cartridge on the front if you please) costing around $200k - and it looks like I'm gonna MISS IT!! Am I gutted or what?! You bet I am...

The Rega treble units have fairly typical dispersion. The problem with treble is that it tends to beam as frequency increases but like I said, I've never had a problem with the R3s being lower, and as Art says I quite like things hotter than many.

Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7041
Now don't be depressed, the knee will get some attention and will be fine and the so what about the Naim gear...wait a minute...anyone have a Prozac. Speedy recovery to you Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1334
I tried the test too Frank and was also pleased with my results.

Dude,just take an aspirin after the surgery and got to the event. Have them do your surgery first thing in the morning. You can recover after the event.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10363
Sorry to hear, Frank, heal well and really really fast! Like on the way to the shop!

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3033
Heh, thanks guys...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us