Anyone familiar with these speakers?

I just saw them online here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73458

and they look kinda interesting.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7015
Yeah I've listened to them a couple of times at Echo in Portland...nice little floorstander. But they are very small, like Rega R3 size or smaller. Honestly I like the sound of the ELS 3 better. Probably because they are such a nice tight design. Why are you inquiring David?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1016
Hi Art,

Thanks for the response. I'm looking to replace the Klipsch in my dining room. One of the pair recently has been acting up and this gives me the excuse to start shopping around.

I'm considering all the usual suspects from my local dealer (Totem, Paradigm, PSB, Energy, etc.), but I wouldn't mind expanding my horizons too...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1017
For now, whatever I buy for speakers will be driven by a NAD C272, with the intent of upgrading to probably a Bryston 3B in the near future.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7016
Totem and Epos are nice candidates...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1018
What did the ELS-3 have that the that the ELS-303 was lacking? There's quite a price difference between the two.

I would have thought the floorstanders would have been tighter sounding.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7017
Florstanders rarely are David. The ELS-3 has what many good mini monitors have and that is presence and the ability to nearly disappear in the room...the ELS-303 has more bass but that just draws attention to it. However if you would just get a sub anyway the ELS-303 is the better choice...

The little 3 only goes to 65 hz and so really isn't going to be for everyone...also your room must be small for them to satisfy. If the budget allows I would look at the M5i.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1019
That's the thing, Art. I will be putting these in my dining room, but since my house is open concept, it actually opens up to a rather large area (kitchen, hallway and living room. I actually only have walls on 2 sides.

I remember reading the review for the M5i in my copy of Stereophile, and it is within my budget. It's definitely an option, but I'm having a issue from making the leap of faith from my large floorstanding Klipschs to the diminutive Epos.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1020
How would the Epos take to the NAD 272?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7018
Ultimately Epos liek power and resolution...my Mira 3 really isn't enough to get all of the goodie fro my M12i's (but it squeezes alot of it out)...

I would guess that the lower resolution ELS series would sound better than the M's with the 272. However I really don't know for sure.

Username: Mikew

Post Number: 9
Interesting question...I am also eagerly awaiting opinions of folks on this forum...this is the same dilemma one of my friends is in. He is also considering Els-3, M5, ELS-303 with NAD C352 / C370 integrated amp.

Mike

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1021
Seeing as how I can't audition the Epos line here in Ottawa (no dealers that I know of carry them), how would you compare them to, say, a Totem Arro or Staff?

Amplification won't really be an issue for too long since my goal is to eventually upgrade to Bryston all around.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7019
Boy that's hard David...I'm still running in my M12i's so I haven't any final opinons on them...except that I can say that they are excellent.

Those who find Totem's bright will probably find Epos bright. Epos and Totem are similar on the top end relative to energy, but the Epos extend that energy further down the frequency range...loads of detail. PRaT are at a max with the Epos.

The Arro's in particular have a little bigger soundstage but imaging is no better. Bass on the M12i is improving daily. I haven't even mass loaded the stands yet...not sure if I should..

Timbre is better IMO on the Epos top end through the midrange than with the Totem's and about the same at the low end. With bass extension being better than expected with the Epos (same with the Arro in a small room...can't escape physics however and it is a 4 inch driver).

What can I say I really like both brands...

The Sttaf is an altogether different beast which I like as well but it has a more grounded sound with less grandiose soundstage...excellent tonality though just a bit bloated sounding by Totem standards, you can hear the cabinet...Totem aficianados don't like that...not the most popular Totem.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1022
Wow, that's awesome Art. Thanks for the detailed comparison!

If you say that that Epos are in the same company as Totem, for me, that is a resounding endorsement. Especially the Arros - I've heard them many times and been impressed with them. My only concern with the Arros is size of my room.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 7020
Here's where it gets a bit dicey David...

Careful system matching is key here. My Rega system works because those are pieces designed with the same principles and they have the same family sound.

The Epos speakers are cut of the same cloth...same with my Creek amp, after my tech modded my Rotel RCD 971 the same can be said of it. These pieces all have one thing in common. They are gear that stress the forward motion of the music.

They approach music similarly...they try to get out of the way of the natural movement of music. I plugged the Epos right into the Rega system and they were an instant match...took the Rega speakers out in the other room and connected them to the Creek amp...wonderful.

I only wish I had unlimited funds to try cables but minus that the van den Hul that I have been smitten with work very well. Kimber is my second choice...excellent cables.

Before I lost my way I was trying to say what you already know...synergy (hate that word, however it is useful) is key. Keep in mind that NAD gear isn't designed with the same philosophy relative to music as Rega, Epos and Totem...that is unless you believe John Ashman and if you do....well I won't go there..lol!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1024
Thanks Art. I'm sorta rethinking this now. Perhaps it would be better for me for now to stick to speakers that would have better "synergy" with my existing rig (at least until I can upgrade yet again).

If that's the case then perhaps the more pedestrian Paradgigm/Energy/PSB route may be better...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us