Odd SL1200 Problem

Username: Frankbutcher

Post Number: 1
Hello, iv got a bit of a wierd and most annoying problem with two SL1200 turntables that started about 2 years ago
(these decks are only 3-4 yrs old now) and i was hoping someone can help?

After using the decks for about half an hour the turntable starts jerking forward. It is visible on the platter strobe dots
and music sounds like someone keeps pushing the record forward. It does not do this when at 0% however (i assume this is due
to the quartz lock). The platter jerks worst at -8% and jerks all the way up to around +5%. Higher than +5% it does it sporadically
and at +8% it plays normally.

I have had both decks pitch sliders replaced by a technician and this has not fixed the problem. The technician also told me he
had 'resoldered 3 of the points' and this has not stopped the problem.

Im sure the problem is due to something heating up inside. i say this because in wintertime when the room is cold the problem takes
over an hour to occur, whereas in summer when the room is quite warm it takes around 20 mins to occur. Also if i turn the decks off for
10 mins after they have started jerking the problem will go away for a little while, making me think that something has time to cool
down but then heats up again...

What i find most odd about it is that both decks have the same problem. Either im very unlucky or something has happened to them to
cause this. I have trid moving all electrical items away from the decks but this hasnt helped. they have also moved house so i dont think
it is a problem with interference. I am pretty sure it is a problem with something overheating, and that something has happened to cause
this problem in both decks as their not that old.

If anyone has any idea what is wrong and what part i might be able to replace id be extemely grateful!!!

Thanks, Frank.

p.s. an internal fuse blew in one of the decks once which i replaced, i dont think this is relevent but you never know....

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10343
gerty, I asked a dj buddy who uses the 1200, and he said that these tables really need an external power supply.
Yes the power supply cooks the guts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us