Know anything about Fostex SM6600 Monitors?

Username: Socktown

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1
A friend of mine let me have these for next to nothing. He does studio work and has more monitors than he knows what to do with.

I can find no information on these speakers anywhere. This is a 3-way with what appears to be separate crossover or tone controls for the mid and the tweeter, which is a big horn-type affair.

I haven't had the chance to drive them with high quality 2-channel gear yet. Anyone know if these monitors can be the foundation for a decent mid-range ($2,000-$5,000) hi-fi setup?

Thanks everyone for any input!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 12708

Have you done a search for just "Fostex"?

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 2
I have. I find a few mixing studios that advertise them as part of their equipment setup. I also find newer Fostex gear (at this point it seems that most "Fostex" gear is either powered or custom enclosures with single Fostex full range voice coils) but nothing remotely similar to the fit, finish and style of my units. I'm pretty sure these were probably manufactured sometime between 1980-1990 but they are pristine and never abused.

It's like they just dropped right out of the sky. :-)

Have a great day everybody and thanks for the help.

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 3
Bumping this back up into the list. Finding information about these speakers is like searching for a lost civilization.

Even Fostex doesn't have anyone one staff who remembers them.

Anyone recognize the gear?

For what it's worth I just purchased an Onkyo A-9555 and they sound pretty darn good behind this amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 10518
I found bupkiss as well, Ken.

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for giving it a look-see Nuck. I need to post more and get more involved in the community here.

These speakers really sing now that they have something with authority driving them. Every day that passes I start to think I've got one of the only pairs of these monitors in the country.

Have a great day!

-Ken
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us